• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Boston teen banned from cheerleading after tweet about immigrants [W:39]

You can't kick someone off a team because freedom of religion is protected by the Constitution. It's illegal to discriminate based on religion. That has nothing to do with a Constitutional right to be a cheerleader and post offensive tweets while retaining your place on the squad. That isn't protected by the Constitution.

I'm not being sarcastic. I'm posting back and forth with someone who keeps saying that you can't kick someone off the cheerleading squad for her religious beliefs. We all know that. That isn't what happened here. You need to be in the same conversation as the rest of us.

my god. I think I've mentioned around 8 or 9 times that I was talking about your blanket statement that there is no constitutional right to be on a sports team. I've said at least 4 or 5 times that I'm not talking about this girl in particular. if you can't keep up then just ignore me next time I ask you a question.

my god. I think I've mentioned around 8 or 9 times that I was talking about your blanket statement that there is no constitutional right to be on a sports team. I've said at least 4 or 5 times that I'm not talking about this girl in particular. if you can't keep up then just ignore me next time I ask you a question.

And you're arguing about my blanket statement. So for the last time, please show me in the Constitution where it says a child has a right to be on his or her school's squad, regardless of his or her behavior outside of the squad activities. This isn't hard. If you don't like my statement, then prove it wrong. I've read the Constitution, and I don't recall seeing it anywhere.

And you're arguing about my blanket statement. So for the last time, please show me in the Constitution where it says a child has a right to be on his or her school's squad, regardless of his or her behavior outside of the squad activities. This isn't hard. If you don't like my statement, then prove it wrong. I've read the Constitution, and I don't recall seeing it anywhere.

I already did and you sort of already agreed with me when you said that you agreed schools had limits to what they could do as far as disciplining students. I don't know why you keep posting this strawman.

my argument is that sometimes it can be a constitutional right.

for instance, a school could not kick someone off a sports team because of their religion. in that instance, it is the student's constitutional right to remain on the team, assuming that that is the only reason to kick them off the team.

I already did and you sort of already agreed with me when you said that you agreed schools had limits to what they could do as far as disciplining students. I don't know why you keep posting this strawman.

Schools have Constitutional limits. I don't believe you understand the difference between Constitutional rights and Constitutional protection based on your posts. She had a right to make a dumb tweet. She wasn't protected from any ramifications of that tweet that were within the letter of the law.

If you can show me where her Constitutional rights were violated, you would be posing an argument to my claim. Since you can't, you obviously have none. "I think you're wrong!" isn't argument.

Schools have Constitutional limits. I don't believe you understand the difference between Constitutional rights and Constitutional protection based on your posts. She had a right to make a dumb tweet. She wasn't protected from any ramifications of that tweet that were within the letter of the law.

If you can show me where her Constitutional rights were violated, you would be posing an argument to my claim. Since you can't, you obviously have none. "I think you're wrong!" isn't argument.

I was talking about one sentence in your post. I've now said 5 or 6 times I wasn't talking about the girl specifically. in fact, I've said in this thread that I don't think her constitutional rights were violated.

I was talking about one sentence in your post. I've now said 5 or 6 times I wasn't talking about the girl specifically. in fact, I've said in this thread that I don't think her constitutional rights were violated.

Okay, then you agree with me that her Constitutional rights weren't violated and she isn't entitled to a place on the squad. That's what I said many posts ago. You could have saved me a lot of typing by not bringing up yarmulkes and my previous posts, and just said that you agree.

Okay, then you agree with me that her Constitutional rights weren't violated and she isn't entitled to a place on the squad. That's what I said many posts ago. You could have saved me a lot of typing by not bringing up yarmulkes and my previous posts, and just said that you agree.

but I disagreed with the blanket statement that there is "no constitutional right to be on a sports team" and countered that by providing an example of an instance where removing someone from a sports team would be violating their constitutional rights. I think it just went over your head because you assumed I was arguing about this girl specifically. either way, glad to have cleared it up so I can focus on actual news now.

My youngest was cut from the school soccer team this year. Should I get a lawyer and say his Constitutional right to play high school soccer was violated?

however, had he made the cut and then tweeted 'i hate my mom' in reply to a sociology teacher's question pondering how the students related to their parents, thus causing many to be offended by such an unthoughtful reply. and the offended prevailed upon school administration to punish your son, by social suspension. that caused him to no longer be able to play on the team or attend any team (or other school) events. would you deny your son a lawyer to enforce his legal rights because of what he said

however, had he made the cut and then tweeted 'i hate my mom' in reply to a sociology teacher's question pondering how the students related to their parents, thus causing many to be offended by such an unthoughtful reply. and the offended prevailed upon school administration to punish your son, by social suspension. that caused him to no longer be able to play on the team or attend any team (or other school) events. would you deny your son a lawyer to enforce his legal rights because of what he said

What legal rights? Can you tell me what law enables a child to dictate to a school what standards they require for participation in school activities?

but I disagreed with the blanket statement that there is "no constitutional right to be on a sports team" and countered that by providing an example of an instance where removing someone from a sports team would be violating their constitutional rights. I think it just went over your head because you assumed I was arguing about this girl specifically. either way, glad to have cleared it up so I can focus on actual news now.

Giving an example of what is clearly illegal (discrimination based on religion) doesn't make the argument that a child has a Constitutional right to participate on a school team. That's like making the argument that because it's illegal for an employer to fire someone who is Muslim means that the employer has a Constitutional obligation to provide the Muslim a job in the first place. Everyone knows it's against the law to discriminate based on (insert protected status here). You're arguing about something that is not relevant to this story.

What you just cleared up was your admission that you didn't understand the discussion. It wasn't about discrimination. It was about school standards for their students' behaviors.

Interesting - so the individual who pisses people off by saying offensive things and gets a reaction from others is not in any way at fault. Got it loud and clear.

oh you liberals, through out that altruistic "dissent is the highest form of patriotism", when you don't like the message.

So if some jerk comes up to a mans wife and insults here in a vulgar fashion and then the husband punches him when his wife breaks down crying - the jerk is in the clear according to you.

While this is nothing like my point, in context to this issue, according to the law, yes. one person committed assault in your picture.

That is some standard of responsibility you have there.

That's some authoritarian bull**** you got there.,

How do you fly anywhere since almost every big airport was constructed using the power of eminent domain?

And does it take you a long time to plan your driving routes since you would obviously avoid highways and main roads built with the power of eminent domain?

I can also go to an Ikea because of eminent domain, I can go to brooklyn and watch the islanders because of eminent domain.

never mind the people they displaced.

I have a hard time believing that she was kicked off the squad for a private tweet. It just doesn't add up.

oh you liberals, through out that altruistic "dissent is the highest form of patriotism", when you don't like the message.

While this is nothing like my point, in context to this issue, according to the law, yes. one person committed assault in your picture.

That's some authoritarian bull**** you got there.,

Not one thing you said speaks to the post from me that pretended you were replying to.

I can also go to an Ikea because of eminent domain, I can go to brooklyn and watch the islanders because of eminent domain.

never mind the people they displaced.

So you just give lip service to your so called belief that you don't approve of eminent domain and you ignore the results of it in your daily life. You said you found the power ABHORRENT. Apparently not as ABHORRENT as do actually do anything about it.

Got it loud and clear.

So you just give lip service to your so called belief that you don't approve of eminent domain and you ignore the results of it in your daily life. You said you found the power ABHORRENT. Apparently not as ABHORRENT as do actually do anything about it.

Got it loud and clear.

Not sure what you got *shrug*

Well, the article says differently, but I am pretty sure all the facts are not laid out here. Has it come to light what additional rules she broke? I looked and it seems not exist or student privacy.

She added that the tweet alone is not why Ms. Godino was punished, but she couldn’t get into specifics because of student privacy.

Well, the article says differently, but I am pretty sure all the facts are not laid out here. Has it come to light what additional rules she broke? I looked and it seems not exist or student privacy.

then she went into specifics as to why the tweet was the reason. read the whole thing, this is just a CYA statement designed to shift blame...

This is completely false.

"If you're going to stand up and say something that other people will find offensive, then you need to be prepare to deal with the ramifications of that,"

"She added that the school district believes in freedom of speech, but will not tolerate ‘insensitive language’.
‘If you’re going to stand up and say something that other people will find offensive or hateful, then you need to be prepared to deal with the ramifications of that.’

Read more: Caley Godino banned from cheerleading team after tweeting about illegal immigrants | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook"

Dianne Kelley is full of **** it was over the tweet and the tweet alone.

If it was something else, one of the offended would have come forward with the whole story.

Back
Top Bottom