• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden says he will cut off offensive weapons if Israel invades Rafah

Pyrite

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

President Biden said Wednesday that he would halt the shipment of U.S. offensive weapons to Israel, which he acknowledged have been used to kill civilians in Gaza, if the country moves ahead with a long-planned ground invasion of Rafah — the first time he has threatened to withhold U.S. military aid, and the most direct threat he has made in the seven-month war....

“Civilians have been killed in Gaza as a consequence of those bombs and other ways in which they go after population centers,” Biden said in the [CNN] interview, referring to 2,000-pound bombs supplied by the U.S. “I made it clear that if they go into Rafah — they haven’t gone in Rafah yet — if they go into Rafah, I’m not supplying the weapons that have been used historically to deal with Rafah, to deal with the cities — that deal with that problem.”...

Israel has taken a number of actions this week that have raised fears that the Israel Defense Forces are preparing for a major Rafah operation. It seized the Rafah border crossing between Egypt and Gaza, cutting off the main artery for urgently needed humanitarian aid. It also warned more than 100,000 Palestinians to evacuate, even as aid groups have warned that there is nowhere else left for Gazans to flee....

Netanyahu has vowed to forge ahead with a Rafah invasion regardless of whether there is a deal....

This is the right thing to do. Remember, this is NOT OUR WAR!

Stop holding Biden responsible.

If Biden cut's off an Israel for not complying, so be it.

///The administration was hoping the pause would send a quiet message and did not announce it publicly at first, but the Israelis leaked it. In the days since the decision, Israel ordered the evacuation of 110,000 civilians in Rafah, conducted airstrikes against targets on the edges of the city, sent in tanks and seized the crossing with Egypt. Although these moves were characterized as limited and not the beginning of the promised assault, they touched off alarms in the White House....

...The 3,500 bombs held back last week include both 2,000-pound and 500-pound munitions. The State Department is also still weighing whether to proceed with the delivery of Joint Direct Attack Munition guidance kits that can convert so-called dumb bombs into precision-guided weapons, but there is no imminent shipment at the moment. Moreover, officials said they would still provide “every dollar” of aid authorized in the new congressional package....

President Biden said Wednesday that he would halt the shipment of U.S. offensive weapons to Israel, which he acknowledged have been used to kill civilians in Gaza, if the country moves ahead with a long-planned ground invasion of Rafah — the first time he has threatened to withhold U.S. military aid, and the most direct threat he has made in the seven-month war....

“Civilians have been killed in Gaza as a consequence of those bombs and other ways in which they go after population centers,” Biden said in the [CNN] interview, referring to 2,000-pound bombs supplied by the U.S. “I made it clear that if they go into Rafah — they haven’t gone in Rafah yet — if they go into Rafah, I’m not supplying the weapons that have been used historically to deal with Rafah, to deal with the cities — that deal with that problem.”...

Israel has taken a number of actions this week that have raised fears that the Israel Defense Forces are preparing for a major Rafah operation. It seized the Rafah border crossing between Egypt and Gaza, cutting off the main artery for urgently needed humanitarian aid. It also warned more than 100,000 Palestinians to evacuate, even as aid groups have warned that there is nowhere else left for Gazans to flee....

Netanyahu has vowed to forge ahead with a Rafah invasion regardless of whether there is a deal....
We should have done this decades ago when we first figured out that we werent getting any closer to a two state solution by providing it to them . There is not one single good argument anymore for providing Israel with any military aide.

We should have done this decades ago when we first figured out that we werent getting any closer to a two state solution by providing it to them . There is not one single good argument anymore for providing Israel with any military aide.
100% CORRECT!!!!!

We should have done this decades ago when we first figured out that we werent getting any closer to a two state solution by providing it to them .
Especially once Israeli Governments started turning a blind eye to those illegal "settlements" that have turned the West Bank into a crazy-quilt patchwork of here a Palestinian town, there an Israeli enclave. Unless hundreds of thousands of Israeli "settlers" are expelled from the WB, this has effectively put paid to giving West Bank Palestinians any part in a solution.
There is not one single good argument anymore for providing Israel with any military aide.
I hope the Netanyahu Government takes the current weapons' hold seriously. But I'm not holding my breath.

Especially once Israeli Governments started turning a blind eye to those illegal "settlements" that have turned the West Bank into a crazy-quilt patchwork of here a Palestinian town, there an Israeli enclave. Unless hundreds of thousands of Israeli "settlers" are expelled from the WB, this has effectively put paid to giving West Bank Palestinians any part in a solution.

I hope the Netanyahu Government takes the current weapons' hold seriously. But I'm not holding my breath.
The Netanyahu govt now has common cause with Putin. They both want Biden replaced by Trump.

The Netanyahu govt now has common cause with Putin. They both want Biden replaced by Trump.
Loath as I am to indulge in any kind of conspiracy theory, this thought has occurred to me, too.

We want our hostages returned and Hamas condemned for the deaths of Americans on 10/7 as well.

...Biden, in an interview with CNN, said the U.S. was still committed to Israel’s defense and would supply Iron Dome rocket interceptors and other defensive arms, but that if Israel goes into Rafah, “we’re not going to supply the weapons and artillery shells used.”...

The shipment was supposed to consist of 1,800 2,000-pound (900-kilogram) bombs and 1,700 500-pound (225-kilogram) bombs, according to a senior U.S. administration official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive matter. The focus of U.S. concern was the larger explosives and how they could be used in a dense urban area....

Will it even matter to those who claim Biden is #GenocideJoe?

Does this issue even matter politically?

Bibi should have been gone a long time ago.
I would have thought he and his Government would work to secure the release of all the hostages, but such doesn't seem to have been the case.

One of the many reasons I think he would have been kicked out, but, so far, his Government is holding on. I guess it's difficult no matter what the political system to oust a "war government".

Who knows?

On a larger front: will it matter to Netanyahu and his Government? Will it make them stop and reconsider?

I would have thought he and his Government would work to secure the release of all the hostages, but such doesn't seem to have been the case.

One of the many reasons I think he would have been kicked out, but, so far, his Government is holding on. I guess it's difficult no matter what the political system to oust a "war government".
He's been using the war to avoid his crimes. Sound familiar to former guy?

It is about ****ing time. Screw Netenyahoo and his war of terror.

Probably not. Too little too late.

He's been talking out of both sides of his mouth for months now. He said 5 months ago that Israel was engaged in indiscriminate bombing of Gaza.

He still provided the bombs to assist.

More stupid Brandon. He wants it both ways, support Israel and make his far left pro-Hamas Palestinian supporters happy enough to still vote for him. As Gen Gates once said, Joe has been wrong on every foriegn policy decision of his career. Well her we are again. He gives Ukraine money but doesn't give the main thing they ask for and tries to micro-manage the Ukraine war. This is the same Joe that botched the Afghanistan withdrawal because he would not listen to the miltiary experts.

More stupid Brandon. He wants it both ways, support Israel and make his far left pro-Hamas Palestinian supporters happy enough to still vote for him. As Gen Gates once said, Joe has been wrong on every foriegn policy decision of his career. Well her we are again. He gives Ukraine money but doesn't give the main thing they ask for and tries to micro-manage the Ukraine war. This is the same Joe that botched the Afghanistan withdrawal because he would not listen to the miltiary experts.
1) What pro-Hamas supporters?

2) And what has Ukraine "asked for" but Biden has denied?

3) And, no, if you consider the withdrawal from Afghanistan to have been "botched", the blame goes to the person who negotiated, wrote, and signed the contract that should have covered the withdrawal but, amazingly, did not: trump.

Kudos to trump for getting us out. Kudos to Biden for following through on the contracts (and not reneging on a commitment made by a prior POTUS).

Black marks to trump (and to Pompeo) for being so lazy or so unconcerned he neglected to insist on provisions for getting people out.

"used to kill civilians in Gaza" as if it were intentional and civilians were the intended targets. Bull. Let's remember how this current mess started. Hamas, elected by Palestinians in Gaza to run the government and provide for the basic necessities of the people, attacked and murdered, raped, tortured, and took hostages over 3,000 Israelis. They did that during a cease fire. Hamas can't be trusted, the Palestinians who elected them cannot be trusted to chose wisely. Biden who botched the Afghan withdrawal, who has "been wrong on every foriegn policy position of his career" Gen. Gates. Biden now wants to tell not only Ukraine but Israel how to conduct a war that will determine the sovereignty of Israel and the survival of it's people. General Joe Biden.

Back
Top Bottom