• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Axelrod: America In Better Position Than 4 Years Ago

We ARE in a better position than we were in 2008. That's not saying much though since that was the low point.

Since this century began, America hasa lost sight of what makes a nation great. We're now a nation of retailers and paper shufflers instead of developers and producers.

That's because we have an administration that is hostile towards private industry.

I feel we are in a waaay better position than 4 years ago ! The GOP would have a much better case if they had passed more of the Presidents bills ( transportation bill, jobs bill, etc) if they had passed those and thing were still moving this slow then I would say they have a case to make a change, but blocking everything the President has tried to do then try to blame him is more a reflection on the GOP then the President,

The creators of those bills didn't do too well during the mid-terms.

What private industry is that?

Are you saying the administration is hostile toward development and production? I'm no fan of these guys but that doesn't sound very logical. If anything, they have invested themselves too heavily in development and I've heard much complaint that private industry should be doing things unaided. You may not be thrilled about the USG investing in, say, battery technology but if we don't figure this out soon, someone else will and we'll be driving only IMPORTED electric cars.

Just as with any administration, they are friendly to private industry that is "friendly" to them. That's not new.

That's because we have an administration that is hostile towards private industry.

It's definitely better for the super rich that Obama works for.

Do your homework. During the last 4 months of GWB we were losing 750,000 jobs a month. You may not like it....but facts is facts

simply not true, but you are a good little democrat parrot, spout the talking points even though they are lies.

But even if you were right, obama has made everything worse. How much did each of those jobs he created with our money cost us? Why is it a good deal to spend 200K to create a 40K job?

simply not true, but you are a good little democrat parrot, spout the talking points even though they are lies.

But even if you were right, obama has made everything worse. How much did each of those jobs he created with our money cost us? Why is it a good deal to spend 200K to create a 40K job?
From the Bureau of Labor Statistics
latest_numbers_CES0000000001_2002_2012_all_period_M07_net_1mth.jpg

We started losing jobs in February 08. However, job growth stopped keeping up with population growth in January of 2007! Bush was President until January 20th, 2008. So it's pretty safe to say that we were losing 750k/month when Obama took office. You could say that we were losing 800k+/month and still be correct.

Sep 08: -432k
Oct 08: -489k
Nov 08: -803k
Dec 08: -661k
Jan 09: -818k
Feb 09: -724k
Mar 09: -692k

From the Bureau of Labor Statistics
View attachment 67133704

We started losing jobs in February 08. However, job growth stopped keeping up with population growth in January of 2007! Bush was President until January 20th, 2008. So it's pretty safe to say that we were losing 750k/month when Obama took office. You could say that we were losing 800k+/month and still be correct.

Sep 08: -432k
Oct 08: -489k
Nov 08: -803k
Dec 08: -661k
Jan 09: -818k
Feb 09: -724k
Mar 09: -692k

Majority of New Jobs Pay Low Wages, Study Finds

U.S. poverty on track to rise to highest since 1960s

2004 - Low-wage jobs rise at faster pace

It should be pointed out that my post was in response to someone who claimed that we weren't really losing 750k jobs/month as Bush left office. Obviously we did lose more than 750k jobs/month as Bush left office. This isn't Orwell's 1984. Facts don't change because you find them to be inconvenient.

Second, the migration from mid to low wage jobs really started with the implementation of the Bush Tax cuts. Since then, growth in high wage job growth has never fallen below 2%. It was increasing 9% in 2008 and increasing at 5% in 2010 while mid wage jobs were being cut at 9%.

2004 - Low-wage jobs rise at faster pace

It should be pointed out that my post was in response to someone who claimed that we weren't really losing 750k jobs/month as Bush left office. Obviously we did lose more than 750k jobs/month as Bush left office. This isn't Orwell's 1984. Facts don't change because you find them to be inconvenient.

Second, the migration from mid to low wage jobs really started with the implementation of the Bush Tax cuts. Since then, growth in high wage job growth has never fallen below 2%. It was increasing 9% in 2008 and increasing at 5% in 2010 while mid wage jobs were being cut at 9%.

"Lower-wage occupations, with median hourly wages of $7.69 to $13.83, accounted for 21 percent of job losses during the retraction. Since employment started expanding, they have accounted for 58 percent of all job growth."

Majority of New Jobs Pay Low Wages, Study Finds

Spin it all you want,2004 is not 2012.

Depending on how one wishes to spin it based on what things they want to focus on and how they want to judge it, you can easily make the case either way.

The question really comes down to which side the American people buy into the most, and that will be determined in large part by which side speaks most to what those individual people are feeling and seeing.

Facts are facts whether you want to accept them or not. Take a look at the FACTS bob. I'll take 3.9 million jobs gained during the past 2 years over the 750,000 a month we were losing under GWB any day of the week. But you keep on pretending that GWB "wasn't that bad". The facts say otherwise.

I feel we are in a waaay better position than 4 years ago ! The GOP would have a much better case if they had passed more of the Presidents bills ( transportation bill, jobs bill, etc) if they had passed those and thing were still moving this slow then I would say they have a case to make a change, but blocking everything the President has tried to do then try to blame him is more a reflection on the GOP then the President,

break neck speed over the financial cliff is ..."way better"...

Exactly! It's completely fair to make the argument that we *should* be in a better position than we currently are. You can argue that certain Obama policies have had a detrimental effect on the recovery. Policy->Mechanism->Measurement.

For example, I think that the brinksmanship debacle during the debt ceiling debate, combined with the tea party walking out on the $4T deficit reduction deal between Boehner and Obama directly caused the downgrading of US credit which has led to slightly hire interest rates on US treasury notes and thus more debt, to the tune of about 1.3B dollars.

But it is ridiculous to try to say that our economy is not in a better place today than it was four years ago.

Facts are facts whether you want to accept them or not. Take a look at the FACTS bob. I'll take 3.9 million jobs gained during the past 2 years over the 750,000 a month we were losing under GWB any day of the week. But you keep on pretending that GWB "wasn't that bad". The facts say otherwise.

If you were worried about facts, you would compare the entire term of Bush to the entire term of Obama.

When in history has an opposing party Congress ever just gone along with what the President wanted to do?

When in history has an opposing party Congress ever just gone along with what the President wanted to do?

and Obama had 2 years to do what he wanted and the Dems had control for the last 2 years ( Pelosi Reid) of the GWB term and any objective reiew shows thats when the economy started to fizzle.. so the Dems have had control for the last 5.5 years!!!!!

and Obama had 2 years to do what he wanted and the Dems had control for the last 2 years ( Pelosi Reid) of the GWB term and any objective reiew shows thats when the economy started to fizzle.. so the Dems have had control for the last 5.5 years!!!!!

But but but Bush!

But but but Bush!

the economy went into the tank because the private sector saw the Libs rolling out the spectre of Cap and Trade, no vetting of Fannie and Freddy, no drilling laws, and socialized medicine..

I think our entire history is about compromise and the minority respecting the side that won! Something that has disappeared since President Obama got into office.

I think our entire history is about compromise and the minority respecting the side that won! Something that has disappeared since President Obama got into office.

That is what you said the first time.

So when Bush asked the Democrat Congress 17 times to reign in Fannie and Freddie, Barney Frank did not call it the Chicken Little Philosophy?

46.7 million on food stamps, the highest in US history, tell them they are better off than 4 yrs ago

Unemployment is higher than 4 yrs ago

There are more poor than 4 yrs ago

Wages are lower than 4 yrs ago

Housing prices are lower than 4 yrs ago

The national debt is higher by 6 trillion then 4 yrs ago

Gas prices are double than 4 yrs ago

On and on I can go, now if anyone wants to tell me we're better off today than 4 yrs ago, all I can say is look at the math

Do you know the meaing of the word "net" ? look at net jobs in the US under obama. There are fewer people working today than when he took office. he has had a 4 year net job loss---those are the facts.

Respect must be earned

Do you know the meaing of the word "net" ? look at net jobs in the US under obama. There are fewer people working today than when he took office. he has had a 4 year net job loss---those are the facts.

BC, He has no ide what "net" means...thats clear to all of who do know...

so Obama has no respect for the countries vote at the mid terms?... Obama is a fool.. a radical.. a LOSER

Back
Top Bottom