• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Armadillos...how to get rid of them without killing them.

RetiredNSmilin

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
OK, I get up early to help the wife prep for a yard sale last Thursday. The lawn on the right side of the front yard looks like an artillery impact zone. Little holes all over the place. Armadillo holes. One the left side of the house there is a huge hole dug with fresh dirt.

I call the Sheriff and get a return call from their deputy that deals with animal issues.

He tells me they go after grub worms and the best way to get rid of the critter is to get rid of the grub worms they eat.

OK, I order two bags of Bayer Advanced Grub Killer Plus. I have not spread it out yet, but an a bit concerned because it says it kills them all in 24 hours. YIKES!

Tonight, I am walking my guitar teacher out to her truck at about 9:30PM. When I turn to walk back to the house, I trip over an average sized armadillo right there under my feet. He runs up to the front porch, and I call my wife to the door and we both get a good look at it. As most armadillos do, he is in no hurry to get away from us and just saunters off at a leisurely pace into the darkness toward my neighbor's backyard.

QUESTIONS FOR YOU NICE MEMBERS HERE:

1. Is there a way to find out if there is more than one, and if they have babies. (what are baby armadillos called anyway?)

2. If baby armadillos are touched by people, will Momma abandon them?
(I was thinking about a small video cam on a stick and poke it down the hole to see what is there)

3. If I use a cage and there is a pair of them, do they mate for life, or can I catch them and release them one-by-one.

I can catch him easily, but do not want to affect any babies it might be feeding down in the hole.

There are plenty of woods I can release him into, but do not want to be responsible for separating an armadillo family if they mate for life and the babies need Momma to feed them.

I know it would be a whole lot cheaper and easier to just shoot the critter one night, and flood the hole the next morning.
That would be the easiest and cheapest way for me to get rid if them.

However, if I can also get the same effect by getting a live trap cage, some grub killer, and a couple bags of dirt to fill in the hole after I know it is empty, that would be the MOST HUMANE method.

When in doubt, I always choose LIFE over sweat and money. Sweat costs nothing, and each month I will get more money to replace the cost of the cage, dirt, and grub killer.

I thank you all in advance for your help. Whatever you may offer as a solution will be appreciated.

Maybe there is a home-grown method I know nothing about yet. Please share it if you know of one.

Since moving here a little less than two years ago, I have seen two baby flying squirrels and a baby rabbit drug into the house alive by the cats.

Now, I guess, I have to educate myself about baby and grown-up armadillos too. Any info you might have will be helpful.

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited:
Well, that's quite a pickle you've gotten into.

If you find a baby armadillo, leave it alone.

Here's a nice site I found that might help you out: https://armadillo-online.org/care.html

Good luck, dude.

Thanks, Kobie. Looks like I need to do some productive and constructive reading. I bookmarked it.

It is funny how in the wild or captivity, they are in no hurry and do not seem to be bothered by your presence at all.

When I was a kid we travelled through Junction, TX, and at the roadside park there was a huge charred cross of wood, and under & all around a mesquite bush there wwere about 20 or so armadillos digging about around its roots.

I got close and pulled one by the tail. he did not even look back, but instead, just dug his claws real fast into the dirt like he was going to dig himself away from me. Very weird.

I will always remember that huge charred cross and all those armadillos all around that bush till my dying day.

It was on a hilltop that looked down on the town. The roadside park is still there. To this day I can take you to the site of the cross and the bush they were all digging around.

This was like about 1963 or so, I think.

Thanks, Kobie. Looks like I need to do some productive and constructive reading. I bookmarked it.

It is funny how in the wild or captivity, they are in no hurry and do not seem to be bothered by your presence at all.

When I was a kid we travelled through Junction, TX, and at the roadside park there was a huge charred cross of wood, and under & all around a mesquite bush there wwere about 20 or so armadillos digging about around its roots.

I got close and pulled one by the tail. he did not even look back, but instead, just dug his claws real fast into the dirt like he was going to dig himself away from me. Very weird.

I will always remember that huge charred cross and all those armadillos all around that bush till my dying day.

It was on a hilltop that looked down on the town. The roadside park is still there. To this day I can take you to the site of the cross and the bush they were all digging around.

A buddy and I rented a trailer in Sinton Tx. during my last 6 months of active duty when the Inchon was at Ingleside. We had two armadillo's living under it. I would sit out there at night and those two would just ramble around never paying me any mind at all. Then after a while, one of them would come right up to the steps where I was sitting like it was expecting food. Come to find out my buddy was feeding them.

Southerners have weird problems

My wife like to catch the little ones "They feel like kittens"

You should avoid actually touching them I hear.. since although they are not dangerous or aggressive, they do carry a lot of disease.. in specific leprosy and chagas. The chances are small for there to be a hazard, but better to be safe than sorry.

Southerners have weird problems

I left my banjo in the sun and now it sounds funny. Not haha funny. Like weird funny.

Is there any other state that has more armadillos than Texas? I saw them everywhere down there!

Is there any other state that has more armadillos than Texas? I saw them everywhere down there!

I want to see an armadillo. What parts can they be seen in?

In the NE, we have skunk problems.

Dillos can be gotten rid of the same way, though. Cayenne pepper. Search your yard, figure out their basic path. Sprinkle the powder all over these spots. Will require you to buy a decent amount of pepper, mind you. I have a fenced back yard, so there was only one entry point. Not sure if this is viable for your scenario.

I want to see an armadillo. What parts can they be seen in?

I have a mom, dad, and 4 little bitty armadillos that live about 75 or so feet away from my house (on the edge of our river cove). The have a sort of a cave they live in. They actually dug around a limestone rock shelf and made a need little place for themselves. The babies are like 4 or 5 inches long. Cute little things. They kind of convoy behind mom like baby chicks or ducks while digging around for food. Numerous century plants there to weave in and around. Probably hides them a bit. There's a lot of pretty large grub worms around that area, which are one of the things that they like to eat.

Dillos can be gotten rid of the same way, though. Cayenne pepper. Search your yard, figure out their basic path. Sprinkle the powder all over these spots. Will require you to buy a decent amount of pepper, mind you. I have a fenced back yard, so there was only one entry point. Not sure if this is viable for your scenario.

I use coyote urine that I buy to keep critters away. The urine is processed into granules. So the applications work for a pretty good while.

OK, I get up early to help the wife prep for a yard sale last Thursday. The lawn on the right side of the front yard looks like an artillery impact zone. Little holes all over the place. Armadillo holes. One the left side of the house there is a huge hole dug with fresh dirt.

I call the Sheriff and get a return call from their deputy that deals with animal issues.

He tells me they go after grub worms and the best way to get rid of the critter is to get rid of the grub worms they eat.

OK, I order two bags of Bayer Advanced Grub Killer Plus. I have not spread it out yet, but an a bit concerned because it says it kills them all in 24 hours. YIKES!

Tonight, I am walking my guitar teacher out to her truck at about 9:30PM. When I turn to walk back to the house, I trip over an average sized armadillo right there under my feet. He runs up to the front porch, and I call my wife to the door and we both get a good look at it. As most armadillos do, he is in no hurry to get away from us and just saunters off at a leisurely pace into the darkness toward my neighbor's backyard.

QUESTIONS FOR YOU NICE MEMBERS HERE:

1. Is there a way to find out if there is more than one, and if they have babies. (what are baby armadillos called anyway?)

2. If baby armadillos are touched by people, will Momma abandon them?
(I was thinking about a small video cam on a stick and poke it down the hole to see what is there)

3. If I use a cage and there is a pair of them, do they mate for life, or can I catch them and release them one-by-one.

I can catch him easily, but do not want to affect any babies it might be feeding down in the hole.

There are plenty of woods I can release him into, but do not want to be responsible for separating an armadillo family if they mate for life and the babies need Momma to feed them.

I know it would be a whole lot cheaper and easier to just shoot the critter one night, and flood the hole the next morning.
That would be the easiest and cheapest way for me to get rid if them.

However, if I can also get the same effect by getting a live trap cage, some grub killer, and a couple bags of dirt to fill in the hole after I know it is empty, that would be the MOST HUMANE method.

When in doubt, I always choose LIFE over sweat and money. Sweat costs nothing, and each month I will get more money to replace the cost of the cage, dirt, and grub killer.

I thank you all in advance for your help. Whatever you may offer as a solution will be appreciated.

Maybe there is a home-grown method I know nothing about yet. Please share it if you know of one.

Since moving here a little less than two years ago, I have seen two baby flying squirrels and a baby rabbit drug into the house alive by the cats.

Now, I guess, I have to educate myself about baby and grown-up armadillos too. Any info you might have will be helpful.

Thank you all in advance.

Just buy coyote urine granules. It keeps them away. They stop digging looking for grubs or worms. Granules last fairly long. And they'll move on if they think the area that they live in is a threat.

I use coyote urine that I buy to keep critters away. The urine is processed into granules. So the applications work for a pretty good while.

coyote urine milker
that must be one sorry job to have to earn a living

the only way to make it worse is to have to listen to banjo 'music' ... no matter whether the banjo was sun bleached or not

coyote urine milker
that must be one sorry job to have to earn a living

the only way to make it worse is to have to listen to banjo 'music' ... no matter whether the banjo was sun bleached or not

:lol: I hear ya.....

My pal was almost kicked out of the Poole Harbour canoe club because he wore a "Paddle harder, I hear Banjos!" tee one evening...They were very formal.
Back to Armadillos, Here's a sad tale... F bombs!

In texas we have skunk problems too. We also have armadillos( I call em armored dildo's specially after they keep blowing my tires when they cross the road) We have opossums, etc.

Skunks I hate the most, not just the smell, they have a tendency to contract rabies, and tend to swarm the fort hood area at night.

\

Thanks. These are the home grown resolutions I was looking for.

In texas we have skunk problems too. We also have armadillos( I call em armored dildo's specially after they keep blowing my tires when they cross the road) We have opossums, etc.

Skunks I hate the most, not just the smell, they have a tendency to contract rabies, and tend to swarm the fort hood area at night.

Good ole Killeen, TX.

memories.

There is a Mexican grocery store here in town that sells tons of Cayenne pepper. I will go there tomorrow.

Now I need to look up coyote urine crystals.

Another good idea.

It should also keep away stray dogs, I hope.

Now I need to look up coyote urine crystals.

Another good idea.

It should also keep away stray dogs, I hope.

Your place could end up smelling interesting. An alternative would be to play Barry Manilow 24/7 outside. No living thing can withstand much of that.

Back
Top Bottom