• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are we as a nation getting much more INTOLERANT of others politically?

RetiredNSmilin

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
It seems with this election we are close to being like the 1830's and 1840's politically.

I am 60 years old and have seen a lot. What I am seeing now is a deep seated anger boiling over from the RIGHT, and a " how dare you say that " anger from the LEFT.

As a kid, my first dealings with political bullcrap was during the Johnson / Goldwater run. I was told by Johnson supporters, kids like myself, if Goldwater was elected we would have to go to school on Saturdays.

I also remember something else. During the televised Democratic Convention in Chicago, someone from outside threw a chair in the hall and was immediately wrestled to the ground and hauled away. That was pretty much it...INSIDE the hall. Outside it was pure bedlam. The 60's had a ton of divisive issues and troubles. Even so one thing remained untouchable. The democratic process.

NOW,...for the very first time in my lifetime, some jerkwads of an opposing party completely halted a rally for a candidate they did not like.

NOW,...those same jerkwads are talking about a march from Philly to DC to disrupt the process of people voting their choice. It is 100% against the Republican frontrunner, but if you see nothing wrong with a bunch of goons and thugs disrupting the democratic process as they did in Chicago, and are planning to do soon, then I can see there being nothing but blood spilled in our future.

They flew the hammer & sickle flag during their riot in Chicago. That tells me they are complete enemies of the very process they are saying they are attempting to preserve. They are not.

The fact this INTOLERANCE is TOLERATED sets a bad precedence for our mutual future here in the USA.

Regardless of which side you are on, I feel there is more and more anger boiling over the lid on any given subject.

Ben Carson was the only candidate that drew attention to it. He said if you look at any comments section on any web page you can see about only half-way down where the insults start flying and the hate starts bubbling up.

YES, I AM pointing a finger at MOVEON.COM because they are 100 % responsible for what they do, did, and are planning to do.

They are not the issue, though and the reason for this thread. It is the deep anger I feel almost all people on the extreme edges of their political leaning that is just waiting for a trigger incident to boil over and burn us all.

Agree to DISagree seems to have been pushed aside by PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE, if you do not agree with me.

Both sides can point to examples to be used as excuses, but am I the only one that sees this being a slippery slope leading to more pointing and " ________ made me do it " type excuses? Where they feel perfectly justified in their violence?

Or has the time for talking over, and the time for picking sides upon us.

maybe its not the "evil" moveon.org brainwashing people, and its because people like you, fox news, trump, and the republican party refer to these people as "goons and thugs", or maybe its the democracy loving tea party thats been waving confederate and gadsen flags around for the past 8 years? because everyone knows how much confederates loves democracy:lamo

this
c4f17075ce73ac89be2c37fed68793b8.jpg

caused this

not the other way around

I have always had question on the idea of tolerance really existing anyway, and in politics our division oriented system pretty much excludes tolerance as a matter of practice. That said you could make a good argument that because of our lack of social cohesion, because of our widening economic disparity, and because of our complete lack of empathy for one another it makes sense to conclude that we have become even more intolerant today of one another than we were perhaps 20 years ago.

It will take things getting much worse before reasonable people gain voice again, until then expect those that champion division and militant behavior to eventually call for loss of life. We have been through these periods before, and we will go through them again as history's lessons tend to be ignored by those who benefit from our division.

maybe its not the "evil" moveon.org brainwashing people, and its because people like you, fox news, trump, and the republican party refer to these people as "goons and thugs", or maybe its the democracy loving tea party thats been waving confederate and gadsen flags around for the past 8 years? because everyone knows how much confederates loves democracy:lamo

this

caused this

not the other way around

I do not think a self avowed COMMUNIST, has any right to cuss anything that goes on in the United States.

Why don't you post pictures of present day gulags, and North Korean death camps?

Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, North Korea, and a whole lot more of those you admire did this and are still doing it even as I write this.

As a COMMUNIST, you have no right to say one word about atrocities committed against other people.

You and your COMMUNIST buddies believe all political change comes through the barrel of a gun.

You have no room to say anything about this.

COMMUNISTS such as you have already been on record as saying you HATE democracy and want it destroyed.

Your type are the enemies of humanity and have the record to back it up. That is why it is such a failed system and only maybe 5 counties in the whole world still practice it.

Last edited:
I do not think a self avowed COMMUNIST, has any right to cuss anything that goes on in the United States.

Why don't you post pictures of present day gulags, and North Korean death camps?

Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, North Korea, and a whole lot more of those you admire did this and are still doing it even as I write this.

As a COMMUNIST, you have no right to say one word about atrocities committed against other people.

You and your COMMUNIST buddies believe all political change comes through the barrel of a gun.

You have no room to say anything about this.

COMMUNISTS such as you have already been on record as saying you HATE democracy and want it destroyed.

Your type are the enemies of humanity and have the record to back it up. That is why it is such a failed system and only maybe 5 counties in the whole world still practice it.

as oppose to who? capitalists? christians? americans? i dont hate democracy i just beleive (as billions of communists before me)that it cannot exist under capitalism.

also the dprk china and the soviets where marxist leninists, and marxist-leninism does not equal communism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marxism–Leninism

I have always had question on the idea of tolerance really existing anyway, and in politics our division oriented system pretty much excludes tolerance as a matter of practice. That said you could make a good argument that because of our lack of social cohesion, because of our widening economic disparity, and because of our complete lack of empathy for one another it makes sense to conclude that we have become even more intolerant today of one another than we were perhaps 20 years ago.

It will take things getting much worse before reasonable people gain voice again, until then expect those that champion division and militant behavior to eventually call for loss of life. We have been through these periods before, and we will go through them again as history's lessons tend to be ignored by those who benefit from our division.

Well said. I agree with you, I think it will get worse before it gets better. Growing pains if you would like to call them that.

The gory pics that the freedom hating communist posted above your posts, showed the rest of the country how brutal things were, and we pretty much fixed that situation after more " growing pains".

What that commie does not get is that we have pulled past that as a nation, nor was it even widespread at the time. Even in the South.

I am sure, and pray we also can get past this individual isolationism and start to see there is an actual person behind the keyboard, with a soul, and feelings.

as oppose to who? capitalists? christians? americans? i dont hate democracy i just beleive (as billions of communists before me)that it cannot exist under capitalism.

also the dprk china and the soviets where marxist leninists, and marxist-leninism does not equal communism

You can play semantics all day long. The truth about COMMUNISM is 100% against anything else but themselves.

COMMUNISTS such as you, have a very long and proven history of completely hating democracy. Read a book sometime. Even your own.

I will be happy, the capitalist that I am, to rent you a paddle as you travel down the DeNial river.

and we pretty much fixed that situation after more " growing pains".
no we didn't, the police murder a black man every 28 hours, and theres more black men in prison now then there were slaves at the height of the atlantic slave trade

nor was it even widespread at the time. Even in the South.
sure it was, or i suppose this is just communist propaganda?

lynch-banner.jpg

COMMUNISM cannot exist pretty much anywhere, where there are individuals that want to improve their situation, and make a better life for themselves.

That attitude will get you killed. Even in a momentary passing thought to a friend.

Count the number of refugees GOING TO...Vietnam, Cuba, and other Communist run places.

Then count the number of refugees LEAVING those same places.

People risk their lives to get the hell out of those "worker's paradises".

Your position is indefensible.

You also pointed fingers at others in your first post, saying EXACTLY what I mentioned.

It is always some else's fault, so you are not to blame for your own actions.

I will be happy, the capitalist that I am, to rent you a paddle as you travel down the DeNial river.

yeah im in denial but your the one claiming the south under slavery and jim crow segregation "wasn't all that bad"

COMMUNISM cannot exist pretty much anywhere, where there are individuals that want to improve their situation, and make a better life for themselves.

That attitude will get you killed. Even in a momentary passing thought to a friend.

Count the number of refugees GOING TO...Vietnam, Cuba, and other Communist run places.

Then count the number of refugees LEAVING those same places.

People risk their lives to get the hell out of those "worker's paradises".

Your position is indefensible.

You also pointed fingers at others in your first post, saying EXACTLY what I mentioned.

It is always some else's fault, so you are not to blame for your own actions.

what about somalia theyre capitalist? or all the other capitalist hell holes like the sudan haiti or liberia? hows afghanistan coming along after you kicked the soviets out, because they were, as reagan put it, harming the talibans "religious freedom" lol

seems capitalism only works for a certain few.... but again there is a difference between marxist leninism and communism you know that right?

no we didn't, the police murder a black man every 28 hours, and theres more black men in prison now then there were slaves at the height of the atlantic slave trade

sure it was, or i suppose this is just communist propaganda?

lynch-banner.jpg

show me a flag like that TODAY.

Your STRAWMAN has been dead long ago. I am sure you have hundreds of bad pics to show how much you hate this country. ALL from a bygone era where SOME PEOPLE did horrible things.

Can you show the a pic of the sheriff of the county next to where Rosewood is? Can you show me the pic of him and his other white deputized county residents standing on the road with guns TURNING AWAY the murders in Rosewood, and PROTECTING their black citizens.

Can you show the pics of the grand party the people of the town of Missoula, Montana threw for the 25th Infantry regiment ( all black ) as they were called up for service in the Spanish-American war? and also treated them wonderfully while they were stationed there?

However, I CAN show you TODAY where a college student was put in prison for 15 years for taking down a poster as a souvenir in your " workers paradise" of North Korea...a COMMUNIST nation. They also have death camps where inmates...and their children...fight over corn kernels in the dung of cows.

I already know and you have proven you HATE the United States, and all it stands for.

For any one era you show me hatred, and I can show you in that same era where blacks, and others made wonderful accomplishments.

Last edited:
yeah im in denial but your the one claiming the south under slavery and jim crow segregation "wasn't all that bad"

and YOU are the one who are trying to say, COMMUNISM, is NOT ALL THAT BAD.

Believe me, 100% of Black Americans would much rather live under Jim Crow laws than under COMMUNISM in the 1930's, or at any other time.

show me a flag like that TODAY.

Your STRAWMAN has been dead long ago. I am sure you have hundreds of bad pics to show how much you hate this country.

However, I CAN show you TODAY where a college student was put in prison for 15 years for taking down a poster as a souvenir in your " workers paradise" of North Korea...a COMMUNIST nation. They also have death camps where inmates...and their children...fight over corn kernels in the dung of cows.

I already know and you have proven you HATE the United States, and all it stands for.

For any one era you show me hatred, and I can show you in that same era where blacks, and others made wonderful accomplishments.

right so basically saying having civil rights of anykind means we have to be like north korea, that is beyond insane, its such a strawman that i doubt you believe it. But since everyone from MLK to obama to has been called a communist by the right, comparing me to the kim dynasty doesn't bother me

1421641438331.cached.jpg

reminds you of when america "was great" doesn't it?

birminghamkkk1934.jpg

what about somalia theyre capitalist? or all the other capitalist hell holes like the sudan haiti or liberia? hows afghanistan coming along after you kicked the soviets out, because they were, as reagan put it, harming the talibans "religious freedom" lol

seems capitalism only works for a certain few.... but again there is a difference between marxist leninism and communism you know that right?

I consider the source of anything said.

When a COMMUNIST tries to tell me the evils of capitalism, and the virtues of COMMUNISM, I have to fight hard to keep a straight face.

right so basically saying having civil rights of anykind means we have to be like north korea, that is beyond insane, its such a strawman that i doubt you believe it. But since everyone from MLK to obama to has been called a communist by the right, comparing me to the kim dynasty doesn't bother me

1421641438331.cached.jpg

reminds you of when america "was great" doesn't it?

birminghamkkk1934.jpg

YOU HATE AMERICA. I already agreed that you proved this to me. You do not have to keep trying to prove it to me.

I am sure, and have said it before, I am sure you have HUNDREDS of pics from the 20's to the 60's to throw up and say how horrible the United States is.

You have an agenda to do so. Hence your large library of photos.

but here is a news flash.

NO ONE BELIEVES YOU. Living under COMMUNISM is far worse than any of those pics you show up. Ever heard of Ray Charles? He was playing piano the whole time in that era, yet he made millions. Your STRAWMAN from over 50 years ago is dead.

The history of human kind will consider COMMUNISM a brief, and violent system that only lived a few short years then died of starvation. Now being practiced by a few places you can count on one hand.

Keep throwing up those really old pics all day long. Do you have any of the inmates in the gulags in the USSR in that same time period?

You have the last word. I do not have to defend the United States, nor capitalism. They are not perfect, but work pretty good, and COMMUNISM is a complete and utter failure as a world economic and political system.

In my medals case I have a Cold War Victory medal. YOU LOST. Your system lost, and the next time you drive through a McDonald's PROVES you lost 100%.

Bye.....

Last edited:
It seems with this election we are close to being like the 1830's and 1840's politically.

I am 60 years old and have seen a lot. What I am seeing now is a deep seated anger boiling over from the RIGHT, and a " how dare you say that " anger from the LEFT.

As a kid, my first dealings with political bullcrap was during the Johnson / Goldwater run. I was told by Johnson supporters, kids like myself, if Goldwater was elected we would have to go to school on Saturdays.

I also remember something else. During the televised Democratic Convention in Chicago, someone from outside threw a chair in the hall and was immediately wrestled to the ground and hauled away. That was pretty much it...INSIDE the hall. Outside it was pure bedlam. The 60's had a ton of divisive issues and troubles. Even so one thing remained untouchable. The democratic process.

NOW,...for the very first time in my lifetime, some jerkwads of an opposing party completely halted a rally for a candidate they did not like.

NOW,...those same jerkwads are talking about a march from Philly to DC to disrupt the process of people voting their choice. It is 100% against the Republican frontrunner, but if you see nothing wrong with a bunch of goons and thugs disrupting the democratic process as they did in Chicago, and are planning to do soon, then I can see there being nothing but blood spilled in our future.

They flew the hammer & sickle flag during their riot in Chicago. That tells me they are complete enemies of the very process they are saying they are attempting to preserve. They are not.

The fact this INTOLERANCE is TOLERATED sets a bad precedence for our mutual future here in the USA.

Regardless of which side you are on, I feel there is more and more anger boiling over the lid on any given subject.

Ben Carson was the only candidate that drew attention to it. He said if you look at any comments section on any web page you can see about only half-way down where the insults start flying and the hate starts bubbling up.

YES, I AM pointing a finger at MOVEON.COM because they are 100 % responsible for what they do, did, and are planning to do.

They are not the issue, though and the reason for this thread. It is the deep anger I feel almost all people on the extreme edges of their political leaning that is just waiting for a trigger incident to boil over and burn us all.

Agree to DISagree seems to have been pushed aside by PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE, if you do not agree with me.

Both sides can point to examples to be used as excuses, but am I the only one that sees this being a slippery slope leading to more pointing and " ________ made me do it " type excuses? Where they feel perfectly justified in their violence?

Or has the time for talking over, and the time for picking sides upon us.

I think cable television and the Internet are the problems.

When I was a kid we had three TV networks and a couple of papers in town, no Twitter or talk radio and no 24/7 news cycle. Today we have a lot more media not only on TV but also on radio and on the Internet, so many that they have to compete with each other and that means they have to target specific ideas to attract an audience. They have to be biased just to survive. The 10 second sound byte is used a lot, combine bias with a 10 second long message and news as I knew it when I was younger doesn't exist anymore all we have are partisan propaganda outlets.

Yes, we are becoming a more intolerant people. THese days you can look like you want, and few care what gene pool you come from, but you damn well better beleive the " right" things. Another thing I have noticed, the Left much more than the Right plays up how tolerant they think they are, and I much more often hear from them "we are the best humans who have ever walked the Earth, we are so progressed!"(paraphrase), but I have found R's and conservatives significantly more tolerant on the whole.

I dont know how this has happened and I have thought on this some. For sure basic education and good parenting is missing, I mean we prance around like we are super educated but I dont see it where the rubber meets the road, so many people are shallow and stupid with weak or nonexistent inner lives and so many people are not grounded and are entitled and are lazy and have been deprived of the opportunity to learn by experiencing hard work. There are lots of problems, the worst of which are spiritual problems. But where does this intolerance come from? This striving for Utopia that we see more from the Left but from both is a part of it, and I think we sense that the civilization is collapsing and we are grasping at straws to try to keep our minds from going there.

In Top Gun there is the early scene where one of the fighter pilots breaks down and he turns in his wings, says that he is holding on to tight to life and the people and things he loves and that is the reason that he cant function. Not an exact fit but it relates to this that we are talking about. Maybe the Right is holding on less tight because God is stronger in them?

IDK.

Last edited:
I think cable television and the Internet are the problems.

When I was a kid we had three TV networks and a couple of papers in town, no Twitter or talk radio and no 24/7 news cycle. Today we have a lot more media not only on TV but also on radio and on the Internet, so many that they have to compete with each other and that means they have to target specific ideas to attract an audience. They have to be biased just to survive. The 10 second sound byte is used a lot, combine bias with a 10 second long message and news as I knew it when I was younger doesn't exist anymore all we have are partisan propaganda outlets.

I have to say yes, also, Centrehalf.

I had 3 B&W channels growing up and had no idea what the U was on the channel selector.

We had plenty of violence on the TV, but we also had adults that would stop your dumb ass if they saw you getting into any dangerous trouble. Now they dare not interfere with a kid acting badly. Even the kids parents can catch hell sometimes.

I feel you are right about the world of the digital screen making everyone a nation unto themselves with ultra sensitivity, rule changes every month or so, and an attitude of me, me, me, and you are nothing unless I can get something from you.

That is what concerns me so much about this recent act of pure selfishness. My guy is loosing, so I am going to burn his house down, and silence him in any way I can. Then because they feel it it always OK to do something as long as you can blame it on anothers actions.

That is why this proposed march concerns me. Imagine 3,000 of such beings walking down the road with a chip on their shoulder and a feeling of not being responsible for what they do. " Blame it on Trump " they will say as they throw a bottle through you car's windshield.

Yes, we are becoming a more intolerant people. THese days you can look like you want, and few care what gene pool you come from, but you damn well better beleive the " right" things. Another thing I have noticed, the Left much more than the Right plays up how tolerant they think they are, and I much more often hear from them "we are the best humans who have ever walked the Earth, we are so progressed!"(paraphrase), but I have found R's and conservatives significantly more tolerant on the whole.

I dont know how this has happened and I have thought on this some. For sure basic education and good parenting is missing, I mean we prance around like we are super educated but I dont see it where the rubber meets the road, so many people are shallow and stupid with weak or nonexistent inner lives and so many people are not grounded and are entitled and are lazy and have been deprived of the opportunity to learn by experiencing hard work. There are lots of problems, the worst of which are spiritual problems. But where does this intolerance come from? This striving for Utopia that we see more from the Left but from both is a part of it, and I think we sense that the civilization is collapsing and we are grasping at straws to try to keep our minds from going there.

In Top Gun there is the early scene where one of the fighter pilots breaks down and he turns in his wings, says that he is holding on to tight to life and the people and things he loves and that is the reason that he cant function. Not an exact fit but it relates to this that we are talking about. Maybe the Right is holding on less tight because God is stronger in them?

IDK.

It does not even have to be God, but just a sense of right is right, and wrong is wrong.

I think I first saw a trace of this appear in the 70's. I think it was Encino, CA where some high school kids went past the murdered body of one of their hangout buddies and just acted like it was nothing, and no one reported her death for like 5 or 6 days.

One of their friends killed her, and none of them had any sense of right & wrong, so they just stepped over her body on the way to school. One of her friends even thought she was faking, so he dropped a flat rock on her face.

I think that was an indicator of the apathy that has been spreading ever since.

I plan on living to be 105. I am imagining the things I will be seeing and hearing about in the future. Come on, year 2059. Show me what ya got.

Last edited:
I have to say yes, also, Centrehalf.

I had 3 B&W channels growing up and had no idea what the U was on the channel selector.

We had plenty of violence on the TV, but we also had adults that would stop your dumb ass if they saw you getting into any dangerous trouble. Now they dare not interfere with a kid acting badly. Even the kids parents can catch hell sometimes.

I feel you are right about the world of the digital screen making everyone a nation unto themselves with ultra sensitivity, rule changes every month or so, and an attitude of me, me, me, and you are nothing unless I can get something from you.

That is what concerns me so much about this recent act of pure selfishness. My guy is loosing, so I am going to burn his house down, and silence him in any way I can. Then because they feel it it always OK to do something as long as you can blame it on anothers actions.

That is why this proposed march concerns me. Imagine 3,000 of such beings walking down the road with a chip on their shoulder and a feeling of not being responsible for what they do. " Blame it on Trump " they will say as they throw a bottle through you car's windshield.

A lot of stuff I watched as a kid are almost impossible to view now, too violent, too racist, too whatever. It was over 15 years ago that I was reading that Tom and Jerry should be erased so that no new generations become infected by it. Can we find All in the Family anywhere?

It does not even have to be God, but just a sense of right is right, and wrong is wrong.

I think I first saw a trace of this appear in the 70's. I think it was Encino, CA where some high school kids went past the murdered body of one of their hangout buddies and just acted like it was nothing, and no one reported her death for like 5 or 6 days.

One of their friends killed her, and none of them had any sense of right & wrong, so they just stepped over her body on the way to school. One of her friends even thought she was faking, so he dropped a flat rock on her face.

I think that was an indicator of the apathy that has been spreading ever since.

Ya fine, but those who dont even have a inner life cant have a code, that does not mean that not having a code is the source of the problem. It could be. THere was certainly a drop off after some point in the late sixties, and remember that the rape epidemic started around the time of Watergate and ran till the feminists got a handle on it early 80's.

You might have something.

EDIT: we can certainly get my juices flowing talking about how much baby boomers suck. Maybe this all goes back to the end of WW2, the massive wealth creation. Or maybe the threat of nuclear annihilation...if we are probably going to die from the bomb what difference does it make what we do?

Last edited:

this

caused this

not the other way around
I don't think you can blame that on "confederates. Ol Johnny Rebel killed a lot more Northern white boys than they ever did black... they had been long defeated by the time of your first picture. No, those were most probably Democrats. You can close your eyes, cover your ears and deny it, but the awful fact remains.

Facts are not tolerant or intolerant, they are just silent reminders screaming out to those who might want to know them.

One of the good things about the Internet is groups like this have to be careful especially when they tell people where they will be beforehand. I guarantee there will be a lot of cameras following them which makes it a lot harder for them to engage in violence.

Back
Top Bottom