• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are Emergency Managers a good idea for failing cities?

JC Callender

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Are Emergency Managers good for cities on the verge of bankruptcy? Here in Michigan, there are a handful of cities that have been given Emergency Managers, Detroit's a big one, and of course we've all heard about Flint by now. I've heard a lot of talk about Flint being a good case against Emergency Managers, with the water problem and all. But if you don't believe Emergency Managers should be assigned, what else would you do?

If the elected managers were up to the task, these cities wouldn't be bankrupt in the first place. Not sure what alternative there is when elected leaders lack the will and skill to solve a given cities problems.

Appointing an emergency manager is akin to saying "I can't do my job and I need to be replaced."

i dont understand the law at all it seems, like its basically a way for the republican state government too force democrat city governments to do what it wants, without having to get the consent of the people in the actual city, basically its republicans saying detroit is too stupid to elect a republican so they're going to take over their government and appoint a bunch of republicans too run the city.....since they voted wrong

i dont understand the law at all it seems, like its basically a way for the republican state government too force democrat city governments to do what it wants, without having to get the consent of the people in the actual city, basically its republicans saying detroit is too stupid to elect a republican so they're going to take over their government and appoint a bunch of republicans too run the city.....since they voted wrong

Well that and Detroit is a murderous, bankrupt, hell hole.

This may seem like I'm picking at nits, but the term should be Emergency Financial Manager (EFM), not Emergency Manager (EM).

I'm actually a private sector, consulting Emergency Manager. We do different jobs, even though they are similar in scope, they are different. We (EM's) are brought in to manage the recovery process after a major natural disaster like a hurricane or a manmade disaster like 9/11, and the EFM's are brought in to manage the day-to-day financial operations of a failed government entity, usually by order of a court or superior government (like a state putting an EFM in place to manage Buffalo, NY, or Flint, MI).

EFM's do not replace or remove the authority of the city council or other elected officials, nor are they usually qualified to make determinations like whether the switching from Detroit's water supply to the Flint River would be safe - they only look at the financial part of those sorts of decisions.

Again, they cannot and must not be allowed to circumvent the authority or the responsibility of the local elected officials. In other words, Flint's mayor and city council can't legitimately blame their EFM for the water screw-up, even if they try to do so, the authority and responsibility still lie with them.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to answer the question in the thread title... Yes, they are a very good thing, because they can make the hard choices and not be tied to local power brokers or concerned about getting fired because they run afoul of local politics.

Last edited:
This may seem like I'm picking at nits, but the term should be Emergency Financial Manager (EFM), not Emergency Manager (EM).

I'm actually a private sector, consulting Emergency Manager. We do different jobs, even though they are similar in scope, they are different. We (EM's) are brought in to manage the recovery process after a major natural disaster like a hurricane or a manmade disaster like 9/11, and the EFM's are brought in to manage the day-to-day financial operations of a failed government entity, usually by order of a court or superior government (like a state putting an EFM in place to manage Buffalo, NY, or Flint, MI).

EFM's do not replace or remove the authority of the city council or other elected officials, nor are they usually qualified to make determinations like whether the switching from Detroit's water supply to the Flint River would be safe - they only look at the financial part of those sorts of decisions.

Again, they cannot and must not be allowed to circumvent the authority or the responsibility of the local elected officials. In other words, Flint's mayor and city council can't legitimately blame their EFM for the water screw-up, even if they try to do so, the authority and responsibility still lie with them.

Why would the governor send one in if they don't have authority to do anything? Detroit was pretty hostile about having an Emergency Manager (that's what they call it around here) assigned.

Well that and Detroit is a murderous, bankrupt, hell hole.

as oppose to what republican run city? i might have beleived it wasn't just a strictly politcal move if they apointed people from the same party, but saying that non-democratically elected officials will somehow solve all of detroits problems, because their from a different party is laughable

Michigans problems have more to do with who is CEO of Toyota and mercedes than whose mayor of flint or detroit

Why would the governor send one in if they don't have authority to do anything? Detroit was pretty hostile about having an Emergency Manager (that's what they call it around here) assigned.

They basically have veto power over any spending. That's actually a helluva lot of power. They control the budget. They can't (normally) decide what to spend money on, but they can tell the local city to come up with a different option(s) and not allow them to waste money.

as oppose to what republican run city? i might have beleived it wasn't just a strictly politcal move if they apointed people from the same party, but saying that non-democratically elected officials will somehow solve all of detroits problems, because their from a different party is laughable

Michigans problems have more to do with who is CEO of Toyota and mercedes than whose mayor of flint or detroit

Politics doesn't play into this at all. EFM's are professionals like CPA's are professionals, they are not politicians or political. Most have graduate degrees in civil government operations as well as advanced degrees in accounting.

I'm in the suburbs, but of course hear about it all the time in local media.

My point was that you're more closely affected than someone living in another State, and the media has shown pictures of how people trash a place they live in, so your statement rings true!

Politics doesn't play into this at all. EFM's are professionals like CPA's are professionals, they are not politicians or political. Most have graduate degrees in civil government operations as well as advanced degrees in accounting.

well thats not true at all, many of the people replaced had far more credentials than the people who took their place. and if their so qualified why did they decide poisoning half the city was better than raising taxes 0.1%?

In Flint, emergency managers not only oversaw the city — effectively seizing legal authority from the mayor and City Council — but also pressed to switch the source of the financially troubled city’s water supply to save money.

In Detroit, the schools are on the brink of insolvency after a series of emergency managers dating to 2009 repeatedly failed to grapple with its financial troubles, while also falling short on maintaining school buildings and addressing academic deficiencies. The current emergency manager for the schools, Darnell Earley, previously served in that role in Flint.

Under the administration of Mr. Snyder, who has held office since 2011, seven cities or school districts have been declared financial emergencies and placed under appointed management, state officials said. During the eight-year tenure of his predecessor, Jennifer M. Granholm, a Democrat, five cities or school districts were given emergency managers.

Three school districts — but no municipalities — remain under the control of emergency managers, a state official said.

Residents of majority-black cities have long cried foul over the practice. They argue that it disenfranchises voters and violates a deeply felt ethos of American democracy that allows for local representation. They also say emergency management gives influence to what is now a mostly white, Republican leadership in Lansing, the state capital. And they worry that in their decisions, emergency managers are more concerned with fiscal discipline than public health.

“Tell me what race dominates in those communities that get emergency managers?” said Hubert Yopp, the mayor of Highland Park, Mich., which is 93 percent black and in past years has had an emergency manager. “People have a very real reason to question what that’s about. It would be one thing if the emergency managers worked with the local governments to make things better. But it’s about having dictator power in the city. The locals have no say.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/23/us/anger-in-michigan-over-appointing-emergency-managers.html

My point was that you're more closely affected than someone living in another State, and the media has shown pictures of how people trash a place they live in, so your statement rings true!

Oh yeah, of course you know that I don't live in Detroit proper...forgot about that. :mrgreen:

well thats not true at all, many of the people replaced had far more credentials than the people who took their place. and if their so qualified why did they decide poisoning half the city was better than raising taxes 0.1%?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/23/us/anger-in-michigan-over-appointing-emergency-managers.html

In this instance, it may not be true. I haven't kept up with Flint and how or who screwed whom with what. I just know what my experience is in this field. Again, in the instance of Flint, it may have been true and it may not have been. I'm not saying either way about Flint particularly. You may be correct. If they did as this article says, then they probably over stepped their authority and their power and could be held civilly liable. I would have never done such a thing in their place. I hope they have good attorneys and a great E&O insurance policy.

Are Emergency Managers good for cities on the verge of bankruptcy? Here in Michigan, there are a handful of cities that have been given Emergency Managers, Detroit's a big one, and of course we've all heard about Flint by now. I've heard a lot of talk about Flint being a good case against Emergency Managers, with the water problem and all. But if you don't believe Emergency Managers should be assigned, what else would you do?

No, we elected people for a reason, not to be controled with an iron fist. We are a democratic country.

What are we thinking "Emergency Managers" are going to solve?

Financial issues of cities on the verge of bankruptcy.

Problem is there is only so much an Emergency Manager is going to be able to handle, and odds are all we are talking about is someone who will navigate the legal nightmare of a city with way too many obligations, way too few people to tax, and a services and infrastructure condition in total ruin.

Financial issues of cities on the verge of bankruptcy.

funny thing is people like you, who live in the surrounding suburbs that were created during white flight, are the main reasons why cities like detroit are failing, you work in detroit, you enjoy the benefits of living near a big city like detroit, but all your taxes go to your small town rather than back to the city of detroit.

but you dont care if flint is poisoned because your small suburban towns drinking water is just fine, you dont care if schools in detroit are falling apart because you have your own public school system segregated from detroit. So instead of entire state of michigan raising taxes and making up the budgetry shortfalls of their major cities theyve instead decided to blame and scapegoat black people, unions, and even immigrants that live in detriot, flint, pontiac etc and all the other failed michigan cities.

I think its time for an Emergency Governor in Michigan.

No they aren't a good idea. But when municipalities and cities **** up their job for decades, someone has to step in.

Back
Top Bottom