• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Allow the CDC to Study Gun Violence[W:101]

Re: Allow the CDC to Study Gun Violence

the idea of the CDC studying gun violence is nothing more than an attempt by the hoplophobic left to do an end run around the constitution.

Well if they are only studying gun violence instead of violence overall then yes I agree with you. Not only is it sad if this is the case but bias and prejudice as well.

In 1989 the research head of the CDC ,Patrick O’Carroll, stated, "We’re going to systematically build a case that owning firearms causes deaths." (Journal of the American Medical Association vol. 261 no. 5, February 3, 1989, pp. 675-76.)

The director of the CDC National Center of Injury Prevention branch Mark Rosenberg stated, that he "envisions a long term campaign, similar to tobacco use and auto safety, to convince Americans that guns are, first and foremost, a public health menace." "We need to revolutionize the way we look at guns, like what we did with cigarettes. It used to be that smoking was a glamour symbol — cool, sexy, macho. Now it is dirty, deadly — and banned."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...th-guns/6c7f2bd2-fa57-4d69-b927-5ceb4fa43cf4/

The motive is clear. They wanted to use the CDC to publish a predetermined anti-gun conclusion using the power and authority of the CDC. The proposed study wasn't a study. They wanted to publish propaganda and got caught. This is why Congress doesn't trust the CDC to do any study on gun violence.

Setting aside the fact that Mr. Carroll is correct (a meta study showing that gun ownership doubles the risk of homicide and triples the risk of suicide), you are relying on comments that are more than 20-25 years old to represent the current version of the CDC.

And even if that were still true, it is not a good justification to prevent them completely from engaging in the research. At best, you might have an argument for why the research is biased and should be viewed skeptically.

But then, any research on gun violence is "biased" (facts do tend to create that effect) and is viewed skeptically by your side.

Last edited:

the idea of the CDC studying gun violence is nothing more than an attempt by the hoplophobic left to do an end run around the constitution.

Yes, because scientists doing research automatically means the destruction of the constitution.

Well if they are only studying gun violence instead of violence overall then yes I agree with you. Not only is it sad if this is the case but bias and prejudice as well.

Then your point should cut both ways.

The CDC is not currently prevented from studying violence overall. They are prevented from studying gun violence specifically.

Yes, because scientists doing research automatically means the destruction of the constitution.

If I need heart surgery I'll find a hear surgeon..... if I need a new blade system with a large datastore I'll find an IT engineer....

There is no limitation on the CDC studying gang/drug related violence.

why does a group charged with dealing with disease have any expertise in the area of the social pathologies of inner city blacks?

Center for DISEASE CONTROL...

Let the FBI conduct such studies if need be.

maybe the FBI should study the rise of antibiotic resistant syphilis in gay men in urban USA

The last time the CDC studied gun violence, it didn't work out so well for the gun grabbers. You sure you want to try again? Be careful what you wish for. ;)

Mr T wants to ban handguns. MR T wants the CDC to study gun violence. Does that cause a reasonable person to believe that Mr. T thinks that the CDC is biased against legal gun ownership

Injuries and deaths caused by firearms are certainly within the medical realm where a medical expertise on the topic would be both welcome and useful.

that's nonsense. the only place where the CDC would have any relevance is studying the best way to treat gun shot wounds. Not why black males cause so many murders in the USA

why does a group charged with dealing with disease have any expertise in the area of the social pathologies of inner city blacks?

See post #18 of an example where they have studied gang violence. Ironically enough, they did not just limit themselves to your racist belief system.

that's nonsense. the only place where the CDC would have any relevance is studying the best way to treat gun shot wounds. Not why black males cause so many murders in the USA

Your racism is strong.

See post #18 of an example where they have studied gang violence. Ironically enough, they did not just limit themselves to your racist belief system.

I can study lots of things but because some of those areas I have no training, my conclusions are rather worthless

you screaming racist proves you have no valid arguments. White Americans don't have any higher rates of gun violence than whites in countries with gun laws that give you the warm fuzzies

Your racism is strong.

can you state what I said is not factually accurate

racism is a bomb factually challenged liberals throw when they are losing an argument.

Mr T wants to ban handguns. MR T wants the CDC to study gun violence. Does that cause a reasonable person to believe that Mr. T thinks that the CDC is biased against legal gun ownership

I do not want to ban handguns. You have been told this fact numerous times.

But as we have established, you have a tendency to forget our conversations.

P.S. You're still a dick for insulting my professors and alma mater

can you state what I said is not factually accurate

racism is a bomb factually challenged liberals throw when they are losing an argument.

I am not disputing your "facts" when I call you a racist. I am calling you a racist because you chose, without incentive, to specifically focus your distraction of a comment on "blacks."

I can study lots of things but because some of those areas I have no training, my conclusions are rather worthless

you screaming racist proves you have no valid arguments. White Americans don't have any higher rates of gun violence than whites in countries with gun laws that give you the warm fuzzies

As an attorney, you should be intimately - specifically because you are/were part of the problem for several years - aware of the biases built into the judicial system against minorities in America.

You should also be intiminately aware - because you are an attorney - that statistics about convictions are not particularly helpful. After all, we can do surveys of individuals and we find that White Americans are no more likely to partake of recreational and illegal drugs relative to Black Americans and yet the later makes up a vastly disproportionate amount of drug convictions in America.

I am not disputing your "facts" when I call you a racist. I am calling you a racist because you chose, without incentive, to specifically focus your distraction of a comment on "blacks."

Anyone other than a butterfly would recognize that nothing TD has stated was racist...

As an attorney, you should be intimately - specifically because you are/were part of the problem for several years - aware of the biases built into the judicial system against minorities in America.

LOL, the fact is that in Cincinnati, which is less than half black, for a two year period EVERY homicide was committed by black males.

I do not want to ban handguns. You have been told this fact numerous times.

But as we have established, you have a tendency to forget our conversations.

P.S. You're still a dick for insulting my professors and alma mater

Look man, just calm down, and move on. No need to get heated to the point where the hammer of authority might come down.

Why not allow the CDC to study gang/drug related and other violent crime too? ;)

It is very puzzling why any subset (based on the tool used) of violent crime should be addressed (or even studied) by medical folks as opposed to law enforcement folks - should the FBI now study cancer, AIDs, Alzheimer's and obesity?

Yes, the FBI should study cancer to see if doctors are causing people to die of it. :lol:

LOL, the fact is that in Cincinnati, which is less than half black, for a two year period EVERY homicide was committed by black males.

Seriously? Please tell me how you would know that fact and PLEEEEEASE tell me how convictions represent perfect information of the crimes convicted in a particular area.

why should white americans have their firearms rights limited when our access to firearms does not lead to higher rates of gun violence than in white populations who live in gun ban nations? if the CDC should study anything (other than disease which is what it should study) is why black american males-less than 7% of the population, cause more than half the murders

Seriously? Please tell me how you would know that fact and PLEEEEEASE tell me how convictions represent perfect information of the crimes convicted in a particular area.

I don't care. what I do care about is that access to firearms has not caused White Americans to have any higher rates of gun violence than whites living in say England. SO the calls for more gun controls on honest citizens is a waste of time

So I watched the Daily Show last night where they covered the interesting topic of allowing the CDC to study gun violence.

[video]http://www.cc.com/video-clips/nc8xh2/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-a-new-approach-to-gun-violence-prevention[/video]

Now, the interesting thing to me is not that they covered this topic. It is an important topic and it would make sense for the Daily Show to cover it in the wake of multiple mass shootings that have taken place this year. No, what is interesting is the fact that the former director of the CDC, Mark Rosenberg, and Jay Dickey, the original author of the Dickey Amendment - the amendment which originally and continually prevents the CDC from studying gun violence - joined together in order to promote this cause. Here is a link to the article that they authored together.

The article is titled, "How to Protect Gun Rights While Reducing the Toll of Gun Violence." And that is a cause that I believe we can all support.

And to quote the Daily Show correspondent, during an interview with Jazz Shaw of Hot Air (who wrote an article on why he did the show here), when you are wondering how we could possibly make guns safer, the response...

The only reason anti-2nd amendment trash are pushing for this study is because they think the results can be used to help push their anti-2nd amendment message.

I don't care. what I do care about is that access to firearms has not caused White Americans to have any higher rates of gun violence than whites living in say England. SO the calls for more gun controls on honest citizens is a waste of time

Of course you don't care. Why should you care about questioning your own biases.

Biases like the subtle shift that just occurred in your post from talking about white owners to being synonymous with the "honest" citizens.

Back
Top Bottom