• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Airplane images

thevmstube

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Here is a '29 Curtis Wright Robin (foreground)

Best_Of_Best_235579-975872.jpg

Mitchell B 25

B25.jpg

Two of the remaining five Beechcraft Starships
beechcraft starship.jpg

Paper..
paper-airplane-icon.jpg

I'm an airline retiree, and a huge airliner geek. Prettiest airliner ever Lockheed Constellation, Super G.

super g.jpg

I'm an airline retiree, and a huge airliner geek. Prettiest airliner ever Lockheed Constellation, Super G.

View attachment 67210863

I agree. Gorgeous plane.

super+connie.jpg

My parents actually met and got together soon after flying on a 'Super Connie'.

They were both married to other people at the time, unfortunately...but that is another story.

The plane my Dad was a flight engineer on during VN. That hole is where a NVA flak shell hit them directly and detonated under the floor. It severed the controls to the tail section and Dad had to crawl down and hook everything back up. No room for a parachute and 4' hole right next to him. Was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for his actions. It's not the coolest plane, but it's very meaningful to me...

dads409.jpg

The plane my Dad was a flight engineer on during VN. That hole is where a NVA flak shell hit them directly and detonated under the floor. It severed the controls to the tail section and Dad had to crawl down and hook everything back up. No room for a parachute and 4' hole right next to him. Was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for his actions. It's not the coolest plane, but it's very meaningful to me...

View attachment 67210866

Great story...what aircraft is it?

Rafale anti missile flares
239047-989310.jpg

The C-130, the most versatile aircraft in use today, which can be used as a:

Bus:
2015-12-14.jpg.bea3b1aaca1c8ff2d9b1b5172e564580.jpg

Fire Truck:
c130dropsimi.jpg

Tank:
Z8MrfH.jpg

Ambulance:
Intensive-Air-wounded-9-flash-631.jpg__800x600_q85_crop.jpg

Heavy Equipment Delivery Truck:
c-130-18.jpg

Last edited:
The C-130, the most versatile aircraft in use today, which can be used as a:

Fire Truck:
c130dropsimi.jpg

Tank:
Z8MrfH.jpg

Ambulance:
Intensive-Air-wounded-9-flash-631.jpg__800x600_q85_crop.jpg

Heavy Equipment Delivery Truck:
c-130-18.jpg

It's been a great plane...but, IMO, it should have been upgraded/replaced with something FAR more powerful years ago. The Airbus A400 Atlas can do (to my knowledge) everything the C-130 can do..but can carry almost twice the cargo (by weight), much faster and much farther than the C-130J.
The reason?
For one thing, the A400 has engines more than three times more powerful than even the latest C-130.

The US is falling behind in military turboprop technology. It's time they did something about it.

raf-tactical-transport-hercules-c17-a400m.jpg

f5u-2.jpgVought_XF5U-1_line_drawings.jpgVought-XF5U-Title.jpg

Vought XF5U A very interesting airframe. One of the toughest planes ever built. They were supposed to be scrapped by normal means in 1946. The airframe was so durable they ended up using a wrecking ball to smash the thing.

View attachment 67210863

Ya'know! I SAW one of those as a four or five year old kid at SFO: it was taxiing away from the gate.

I'll never forget that.

Corsaire.jpg

My other favorite

And, probably the nastiest airplane ever invented:

Puff2.jpg

My buddy was In Vietnam in '67. He said Puff, or Spooky never circled, like in the John Wayne movie. It came in low and made one pass; that's all it took.

View attachment 67211244

My other favorite

And, probably the nastiest airplane ever invented:

View attachment 67211245

My buddy was In Vietnam in '67. He said Puff, or Spooky never circled, like in the John Wayne movie. It came in low and made one pass; that's all it took.

They do pylon turns usually when they engage targets because during the turn when you fire the guns the bullets and cannon shells very little if any drop and so you can do very precise strikes with them. If they don't turn it becomes much more difficult to engage ground targets because you have to account for the forward motion of the plane as well as drop of the shells.

View attachment 67210863

Oh thank you. I love the Connie. She is such a gorgeous plane.

I don't know if she's still there but there was one parked at the Greenwood Lake NY airport years ago. They had turned her into a restaurant or office or something. I learned all about landing at relatively short (2600 foot) fields surrounded by tall hills there - when flying at pattern altitude on downwind you were only a couple hundred feet above the ridgeline . I'm amazed that someone actually flew her in there.

Greenwood Lake - btw - was near the old Jungle Habitat in West Milford. When I was flying in and out of there Jungle Habitat had already been closed for years. Even so to the local pilot population the airport was known as "Nairobi Airport" and everyone would self announce (it's an uncontrolled field - no tower) that they were in the pattern at "Nairobi Airport."

Ed: She's apparently still there. Here's a link to a page about that Connie at the Greenwood Lake Airport website. Includes a grainy video of the landing. They pretty much used the entire runway. Greenwood Lake Airport's History including the Lockheed Constellation and Jungle Habitat

Back
Top Bottom