• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

ACA: What are the plans? Premiums?

Go **** someone else's thread up.

I don't give a **** about death panels. I don't give a **** about the risk pool.

For ****s sake. This is just about what the policies will be like, and maybe if we can get some information on what the premiums will be like.

You guys are so busy biting each others nipples, you can't focus on the topic at hand. If you want to circle jerk each other, got to the basement.

Go **** someone else's thread up.

I don't give a **** about death panels. I don't give a **** about the risk pool.

For ****s sake. This is just about what the policies will be like, and maybe if we can get some information on what the premiums will be like..

You were given information, did you take that and do any research, or just sit around waiting to be spoon fed? Threads drift, deal with it.

There is no way to tell that exactly, since the majority of ObamaCare rules relating to "private" medical care insurance premiums are not yet in effect. As Pelosi so brilliantly said, we will just have to wait and see. A rough guess can be made by simply taking the average per person annual cost, in your state, and dividing it by 12, then adding in overhead and profit for the insurance company (20% is allowed for that under ObamaCare).

I can, however, supply some REAL medical care cost information, that vary by state:

What is the cost per person annually for medicaid

Health Spending per Capita - Kaiser State Health Facts

Last edited:
So since ACA has been upheld, it is time to pull up our big kid chones and move on.

So what I want to know is, what are the plans that will be on the exchange? What are the premiums? Do we even know yet?

I have done a bit of searching, and I can't really find anything as its all bogged down with the ruling and then other questions being answered.

I know my employer will not have to pay a penalty or offer insurance, as we only have 2 US employees. So it would be nice to know if I actually will get a better plan, since this is what I am told is supposed to happen.

The health exchange program for Oregon will be designed by your own legislature. They must meet basic guidelines that have yet to be fully set by the federal government. Many States have delayed setting up their exchange programs because they were waiting for the Supremes to rule. Now that we have that ruling, expect the States to begin...or finalize...their work on their programs. Assuming, of course, the federal government releases THEIR final rules.

The best thing for you to do is keep an eye on Oregon's legislature and whatever agency is charged by your State to come up with your plan.

According to this, Oregon has already passes legislation establishing an exchange. Looking at the picture provided, we can see that a fair few states haven't enacted anything. They have until the middle of November otherwise HHS can step in and run federal exchanges on their behalf.

Premiums. Premiums will rise under the provisions of PPACA, but the increase is estimated in cents on the dollar and premiums have been rising since at least 2000 and quite significantly more than what will happen under this act. I'd you are earning less than 133% of the FPL ( approximately 24,500 for 3 member family) and your states enacts it, you will be eligible for expanded Medicaid. If you are earning more than that and don't purchase health insurance privately, you will have to pay a 'shared responsibility payment,' currently fixed but will later become a sliding scale based on income (I think the plan is 2.5 up to 60% the cost of premiums) there are also hardship waivers if standard premiums exceed 8.5% of your income. Finally if earning within 400% you will be eligible for subsidies when purchasing on the exchange. These will be paid directly to the health fund. And you will pay the rest, on the lowest tier you will be responsible for 30%

So that's the cost to you, of course new consumer protections were introduced requiring all people to be allowed coverage irregardless of health status and at similar premiums (community rating) its good news if you have a chronic condition and you will now be able to purchase insurance.

So that's PPACA, certainly not a golden bullet for the healthcare problem, but certainly a look in the right direction. Do I support it? I think we could do better, but it's the best we have, so yes.

Call them whatever you want, when the money dries up enough, someone, most likely without a medical background, will be deciding grandma doesn't need this or that treatment because she is too old and it costs to much.

Think about this for a minute. What happens if it is all up to you and the money and your wallet drys up? If you have private insurance, what happens when that money drys up? You see, this is a risk everywhere and every imaginable system out there. When insuance no longer pays, you have to pay on your own. Same with when the government no longer pays. So where is the insurance comapny death panel thread? And when you pay for it on your own, and you have to let something go you can't pay, where's the Arbo death panel thread? You see the reasoning is serious flawed for a lot of reasons.

All the panel does it look at what procedures are effective, and can be shown effective, and lists those as the ones they will pay for. If you want to pay for something not seen as effective, do so. There is nothing unreasonable about this. And it certainly isn't a death panel.

This is all nice in theory, but right now 90% of the people have insurance, and 10% are without. How is a 10% increase in the money 'spent' going to be enough to cover all this new stuff? Even more so when a good portion of that 10% isn't actually going to be paying because they are too poor?

Logically and mathematically, makes no sense.

I'm not sure your numbers are correct, but insuance companies were ins the room, something the left is very upset about (and rightly so), and they agreed. So, you may wnat to ask them.

I have a slightly different question.

I have read today in one article, that the penalty for not having insurance will be 2.5% of your income, $650, or the greater of the two.

In another article, it said 1%.

so, which is it?

and also, does this effect Permanent Residents of the USA and folks on a 3-year work visa?

how about American citizens who live abroad?

I'm not entirely an expert but I believe the current penalty is around 700 but the plan is for the 2.5%. It would only take a directive from secretary of HHS to change it, I believe.

The mandate doesn't apply to undocumented immigrants but does apply to all documented immigrants residing in the USA, therefore it does effect permenant residents. I would imagine it would also affect those on a long term visa. However in this group, lack of insurnance would be very low.

Citizens abroad would be unaffected, I imagine.

So after it was mentioned that Oregon already has an exchange set up, I put the wife upon the task.

Individual Health Plan Savings Calculator

My current premium is $631/mo, family of 4. Maximum out of pocket is $10K.

Obamacare will be $920/mo, family of 4. Maximum out of pocket is $12.5K.

Figured as much.

They still haven't figured out what the qualified plans are yet either. Figured as much there too.

****ing slackers.

So after it was mentioned that Oregon already has an exchange set up, I put the wife upon the task.

Figured as much.

ACA, isn't a health-insurance plan.

I have a slightly different question.

I have read today in one article, that the penalty for not having insurance will be 2.5% of your income, $650, or the greater of the two.

In another article, it said 1%.

so, which is it?

and also, does this effect Permanent Residents of the USA and folks on a 3-year work visa?

how about American citizens who live abroad?

It increases from 2014-2016 IIRC. So maybe each article is referring to a different year?

According to this, Oregon has already passes legislation establishing an exchange. Looking at the picture provided, we can see that a fair few states haven't enacted anything. They have until the middle of November otherwise HHS can step in and run federal exchanges on their behalf.

Premiums. Premiums will rise under the provisions of PPACA, but the increase is estimated in cents on the dollar and premiums have been rising since at least 2000 and quite significantly more than what will happen under this act. I'd you are earning less than 133% of the FPL ( approximately 24,500 for 3 member family) and your states enacts it, you will be eligible for expanded Medicaid. If you are earning more than that and don't purchase health insurance privately, you will have to pay a 'shared responsibility payment,' currently fixed but will later become a sliding scale based on income (I think the plan is 2.5 up to 60% the cost of premiums) there are also hardship waivers if standard premiums exceed 8.5% of your income. Finally if earning within 400% you will be eligible for subsidies when purchasing on the exchange. These will be paid directly to the health fund. And you will pay the rest, on the lowest tier you will be responsible for 30%

So that's the cost to you, of course new consumer protections were introduced requiring all people to be allowed coverage irregardless of health status and at similar premiums (community rating) its good news if you have a chronic condition and you will now be able to purchase insurance.

So that's PPACA, certainly not a golden bullet for the healthcare problem, but certainly a look in the right direction. Do I support it? I think we could do better, but it's the best we have, so yes.

Thanks for the link!
The map is interesting so here's a pic of it if you don't want to click on the link:

HIX May 2012 L.jpg

Figured as much.

They still haven't figured out what the qualified plans are yet either. Figured as much there too.

****ing slackers.

I don't quite understand...

Figured as much.

****ing slackers.

Any more LIES for us? How about you tell us your income and I will double check your figures? LOL

Still refuse to back up any of your points? I'm not surprised.

Have a nice time while you still have an account.

Here is some proof

"Limit availability of premium credits and cost-sharing subsidies through the Exchanges to U.S. citizens
and legal immigrants who meet income limits. Employees who are offered coverage by an employer are
not eligible for premium credits unless the employer plan does not have an actuarial value (employer must pay 60%) of
60% or if the employee share of the premium exceeds 9.5% of income. (you only must pay MAX of 9.5% of pay to any premium) Legal immigrants who are barred
from enrolling in Medicaid during their first five years in the U.S. will be eligible for premium credits."

http://www.kff.org/healthreform/upload/8061.pdf

You already have insurance, I assume. Your plan will have to meet AHA's minimum requirements. If it doesn't, the plan will be changed to meet those requirements. Your premiums, in that case, will undoubtedly go up. There ain't gunna' be any free lunches, of that you can be certain.

Wrong, he might even get a refund on his premium many are. It depends on whether his company overcharged him and kept more than 15% of premiums for themselves. The lack of understanding of the benefits of this bill are it's main enemy.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Thanks to a provision in the health care reform law, millions of consumers will be receiving rebates from their insurers this summer.
By Aug. 1, insurers that failed to meet one of the early guidelines of the Affordable Care Act are going to issue rebates averaging $127 to certain policyholders, according to estimates from the Kaiser Family Foundation.
Last year, the Affordable Care Act started requiring health insurers to spend a certain percentage of the premium payments they receive toward patient care, such as doctor's visits and hospital stays, and quality improvement activities, including discounted gym memberships or wellness brochures, instead of things like administrative and marketing costs.
Under the law, large employer-sponsored plans must spend 85% of a policyholders' premiums this way, while insurance companies that cover individuals and small businesses have to spend at least 80%. If an insurer fails to meet that threshold, they must issue a refund

Health insurance rebates on the way - Apr. 26, 2012

Any more LIES for us? How about you tell us your income and I will double check your figures? LOL

Lies? So you don't know my income and you have the nerve to call me a liar?

My yearly income will be close to or over $120K.

Show me I am ****ing lying now.

No wonder you are poor. And you deserve to be.

Still got nothing to say? No more large font? Not more capital LIES?

Have you double checked my figures yet?

Well trouble is you are well over 400% of poverty so the calculator DOES NOT APPLY to you. That is why the figures are wrong.
Your rich. you pay full price with no max % of income like the rest of us. TFB for you. :2razz: ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.

Tactful 274ina, tactful.

Aberration, what State are you in?

Well trouble is you are well over 400% of poverty so the calculator DOES NOT APPLY to you. That is why the figures are wrong.
Your rich. you pay full price with no max % of income like the rest of us. TFB for you. :2razz: ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.

???

Has it come to this?

120K is now the rich?

So in other words you are the liar.

No, not too bad for me. While I am not rich, you have admitted to being poor. TFB for who again? Keep that smile on your face as you greet people "Welcome to Walmart".

P.S. I get to keep my plan. At well under what Obamacare would charge me. Put that in your big font and capitalize it.

@ Stewart, Oregon.

@ Mycroft, Surprised? It was not so long ago that $250K was rich.

Last edited:
So in other words you are the liar.

No, not too bad for me. While I am not rich, you have admitted to being poor. TFB for who again? Keep that smile on your face as you greet people "Welcome to Walmart".

P.S. I get to keep my plan. At well under what Obamacare would charge me. Put that in your big font and capitalize it.

@ Stewart, Oregon.

@ Mycroft, Surprised? It was not so long ago that $250K was rich.

And your the liar. You cant read how to use the calculator with a max income of ~$44k.

Back
Top Bottom