• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A corporate run country

Corporations have government oversight... Who oversees the government?

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH you have GOT to be kidding me? Do you actually believe that?

So where was the government under Bush when the private banking industry went greed nuts with sub-prime? Or where is the government oversight with the insane rises in healthcare costs every year? Or where is the government oversight with military procurement.. no bid contracts to "favoured" (read friends) companies?

There is next to no government oversight, and the oversight that actually is, is under constant attack by big business and eventually they win.. Look at the attacks against the EPA... if the GOP get into power.. bye bye EPA.. and who wanted that.. oh yea, the corporations!

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH you have GOT to be kidding me? Do you actually believe that?

So where was the government under Bush when the private banking industry went greed nuts with sub-prime? Or where is the government oversight with the insane rises in healthcare costs every year? Or where is the government oversight with military procurement.. no bid contracts to "favoured" (read friends) companies?

There is next to no government oversight, and the oversight that actually is, is under constant attack by big business and eventually they win.. Look at the attacks against the EPA... if the GOP get into power.. bye bye EPA.. and who wanted that.. oh yea, the corporations!
You're kind of missing the point here. When the crooks are private or public...they're all crooks in the end. If you allow the public crooks to have the power to regulate the private ones, do you REALLY think the private ones won't come knocking seeking to use that power to their advantage?

The only realistic way to curb the influence of special interests in politics is to get government out of regulating economic activity, thereby picking winners and losers.

The only realistic way to curb the influence of special interests in politics is to get government out of regulating economic activity, thereby picking winners and losers.

The only real way to curb the influence of all those who seek to control/own other people is to take back individual ownership and control of our lives. Our entire lives, both economic and personal. Our economic lives cannot rationally be separated from our personal and private lives.

Nobody should be able to "pick winners and losers."

Not true at all!! I have owned and operated three businesses and have never been a "corporation." There are many thousands of businesses across the country that are not part of any corporation. In fact, most small businesses are not incorporated. It is much more difficult to conduct business as an autonomous person or partnership, but it can be and is done.

Corporations are given certain tax and liability advantages, which is part of the problem. The larger the corporation, the more perks they get. The exact point where they become part of the symbiotic body of the parasite is flexible, of course. But that is the direction they all must go to survive.

Huge and egregious typo on my part. I meant to write, "But not all businesses are corporations, and not all corporations are in a symbiotic relationship with government."

Good catch, though embarrassing for me. :3oops:

Just looking at the signs, it appears that corporations are strategically getting rid of every aspect of the government with the republican's help. I hear how everyone cries about how horrible the government is, but you have to ask yourself is this country better off with corporations having the power to do whatever they want?
"Corporations are getting rid of every aspect of government?" What country are you talking about? And what aspects of government have they replaced?

And who should I thank?

I agree with Canell. Corporations oversee the governments that oversee the banks, small businesses, and people. To get elected, you need corporate support. Corporate support comes at a cost, typically in the form of political favors, such as voting a particular way, drafting legislation in a manner most favorable to the corporate sponsor, and redirecting public money back to the donor (which, in essence, refunds the initial private investment, or in many cases, returns a profit).

The only way to put the people back in charge is to enact real, meaningful campaign finance reform. Until that happens, the monied interests, which often hedge their bets by funding both Democrats and Republicans, sometimes even in the same electoral race, will continue to control the direction of government. The small number of politicians who avoid quid pro quos generally don't get re-elected, and if they somehow do, they're too few to matter.

Even in countries that are not democracies, where monarchies or dictatorships reign supreme, corporations still control the government because they provide the organization and technology necessary to successfully operate a country. Government officials alone can't do much of anything without the structure and support of industry. This held true in Soviet Russia and remains true today in North Korea. Corporate magnates, while much fewer in number, maintain their wealth in those countries because if it were to be confiscated from them, they would cease to provide the access and intellectual capital essential to modern governance.

Last edited:
LMMFAO... Oh yes, that works splendidly.

Yea so corporations should do it!!! Cuz we know they have the interest of the people in mind! Just ask 3rd world countries! Or those kids working in sweat shops!

Yea so corporations should do it!!! Cuz we know they have the interest of the people in mind! Just ask 3rd world countries! Or those kids working in sweat shops!

Politicians only need to garner support from 51% of voters every 2-6 years. Corporations strive to win over as many people as possible, all the time.

There are also many more business entities than political ones. This fosters breadth and a measure of balance.

I am not going to defend the practices of every business, or ignore that some of them engage in repugnant conduct designed purely for self-gain. But systemically, there's no denying that a business has to be more responsive to a constituency than a government.

Last edited:
Politicians only need to garner support from 51% of voters every 2-6 years. Corporations strive to win over as many people as possible, all the time.

There are also many more business entities than political ones. This fosters breadth and a measure of balance.

I am not going to defend the practices of every business, or ignore that some of them engage in repugnant conduct designed purely for self-gain. But systemically, there's no denying that a business has to be more responsive to a constituency than a government.
Uhh no im not going to admit that. When corporate influence is involved with government **** breaks, loose. Government looks out for the profits rather than the peoples interest.

Just looking at the signs, it appears that corporations are strategically getting rid of every aspect of the government with the republican's help. I hear how everyone cries about how horrible the government is, but you have to ask yourself is this country better off with corporations having the power to do whatever they want?

That's called fascism.... I think that's been tried once or twice before.

Uhh no im not going to admit that. When corporate influence is involved with government **** breaks, loose. Government looks out for the profits rather than the peoples interest.

The profits are not the problem. YOU enjoy a "profit" each time you take home a paycheck or if you sell something for more than you paid. How you arrive at that "profit" is the question. By honest work and trade, or by lies and theft.

The problem is control, coercion, POWER over other people, whether it is government or corporations at any level. Government looks out for its OWN interest - first, last and always -to survive and grow. It is irrational to expect anything else from government, but of course most people do. If you are honest with yourself, you realize that most people support government because they expect to gain something from it, whether or not they truly understand that government cannot give anything it does not first steal from someone else.

The "people's interest" is different for each of the people! There is no one "good" that serves everyone except the true "common good" of each seeking their own in peace. Each person must be free to trade, innovate, learn and do what is best for themselves and their families - defending themselves from the thieves and thugs. When they can do that without imposing on or stealing from anyone else, then the tyranny can be stopped. But not before then.

No amount of "campaign finance reform" will ever reduce the power people have given to these politicians and corporations. We must take back that power to determine our own lives and future.

Self ownership and self responsibility, living without aggressing against others. That's the key to freedom and peace, but most people don't want that. It's hard work being responsible for oneself... and a lot easier to steal by proxy.

Another straw man is born.

Self ownership and self responsibility, living without aggressing against others. That's the key to freedom and peace, but most people don't want that. It's hard work being responsible for oneself... and a lot easier to steal by proxy.

I'm constantly amazed at how many people feel perfectly justified in using the government to plunder and enslave their fellow man. Some who would never personally do so don't understand that it is just as wrong to ask others to do so on their behalf.

The rules of ethical behavior apply to ALL people, regardless of whether or not they are part of the government.

And what I find even more amazing is the reaction of the statists to those who advocate liberty. They actually regard liberty lovers as a danger, when it is they who are the ones wielding the club and gun against their fellow man.

And what I find even more amazing is the reaction of the statists to those who advocate liberty. They actually regard liberty lovers as a danger, when it is they who are the ones wielding the club and gun against their fellow man.

What I find even more amazing is how you can make a statement about what you find so amazing when it has all been thoroughly explained to you over and over and over again.

The term DISINGENUOUS does not do your faux amazement justice.

What I find even more amazing is how you can make a statement about what you find so amazing when it has all been thoroughly explained to you over and over and over again.

Yes, you've explained many times why you feel you have the authority to plunder and enslave your fellow man, yet I find myself constantly amazed at your hubris. Some injustices just never lose their power to shock, such as your disingenuous claim that those who advocate nonaggression pose a danger to others.

I'm constantly amazed at how many people feel perfectly justified in using the government to plunder and enslave their fellow man. Some who would never personally do so don't understand that it is just as wrong to ask others to do so on their behalf.

The rules of ethical behavior apply to ALL people, regardless of whether or not they are part of the government.

An excellent point. When I choose to help my neighbor in need, it is charity and just; when you send the gov't to force me to help your neighbor in need, it is tyranny and unjust. Those that attempt to equate SS/Medicare to welfare/medicaid (usually by simply calling them all "entitlements") fail to see a VERY key difference; SS/Medicare apply to ALL, are paid for IN ADVANCE by a tax, benefits are defined based on INDIVIDUAL CONTRIBUTION HISTORY and attaining an EQUAL old age (not based on "need"). Welfare/medicaid are essentially forced charity based only on "need" and often serve simply as a reward for failure.

I willingly give food, clothing and other goods/services to those that are in need. In my town, we often hold "benefit" events to help anyone, among us, whose house burned down or had a major medical expense, allowing all to mingle, socialize, share a BBQ meal and to show our united support for our neighbor(s) in need. We all willingly offer goods/money through an auction (or raffle) to help raise money for the person(s) in need.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom