• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

3.22.20 Were you better off 4 years ago?

Four years ago, I was thankful a good friend of mine worked for GOJO and I could get hand sanitizer

I'm much better off today

I wasn't. 4 years ago my school had just shut down and we were washing groceries and leaving mail outside for three days before bringing it in the house.
Well, in that respect, we all are. That whole virus thing and all.

Now on other matters, my work has stayed about the same, but everything is costing more. Like that food we seem to need.
So not really.

Covid running rampant. Medical professionals ignorant of how to treat it...unable to really test people to see if they have it. The governors shutting down their economies and even instituting draconian restrictions on their citizens. Congress spending enormous amounts of money they didn't have to counteract the actions of the governors. Public officials disregarding their own draconian restrictions, simply because they could.

No. I don't think anyone who wasn't one of the select few can say they were better off four years ago.

We are retired so pretty much a wash in terms of regular income but significant boost in our investments and our lake property has gone through the roof. So much, much better on the net asset level.

Now on other matters, my work has stayed about the same, but everything is costing more. Like that food we seem to need.
So not really.
If you haven't had a pay increase in the last three years maybe a new job is in order?

If you haven't had a pay increase in the last three years maybe a new job is in order?
Self-employed about the past 12 years. My boss is a tight ass.. 😁

I have had to increase prices a fair amount to cover pretty hefty material cost increases.
I.E.: A roll of wire that previously hovered around 40-45 bucks hit a top of about 130 for a time. Now sitting at 89 as of today.
Was down to 79 the other day.

I do alright, not starving by no means.

But you say
I wasn't. 4 years ago my school had just shut down and we were washing groceries and leaving mail outside for three days before bringing it in the house.
as if you wouldn't have been doing those recommended things under another administration.
The virus doesn't give a shit who is in charge.

If those are your gripes about 4 years ago compared to today, You should have just titled it Covid, or put it in the Covid section.

Self-employed about the past 12 years. My boss is a tight ass.. 😁

I have had to increase prices a fair amount to cover pretty hefty material cost increases.
I.E.: A roll of wire that previously hovered around 40-45 bucks hit a top of about 130 for a time. Now sitting at 89 as of today.
Was down to 79 the other day.

I do alright, not starving by no means.

But you say

as if you wouldn't have been doing those recommended things under another administration.
The virus doesn't give a shit who is in charge.

If those are your gripes about 4 years ago compared to today, You should have just titled it Covid, or put it in the Covid section.
(y)

You misinterpret my thread. It was the Republican Party that started this question.

Four years ago today:
  • My company, my team and me individually had just completed week 1 of work from home. Since every last employee has a laptop, online meetings weren't too difficult. Senior managers were receiving daily briefings on the virus, etc. We were struggling to figure out how to identify skeleton crews who could advance work that required being on site. The big issue were jobs that required two people near each other for safety reasons.
  • There was this sudden, weird mix of essential businesses shut down and non-essential businesses being wide open. Suddenly, I couldn't buy clothing, couldn't get haircuts, my wife's physical therapy abruptly halted, etc. However, every corner liquor store was open and readily selling you whatever booze you needed. It was surreal.
  • The CDC was showing a comparable level of ineptitude to what the Capitol Police would demonstrate about 9 months later.
  • A whole lot of people were getting very worried about being laid off.
  • I had elderly family members becoming very nervous about all the mixed messages from Trump, the CDC, city/county/state health officials etc. and it was driving me nuts especially because many were in other states and suddenly I couldn't easily travel to help them either!
  • Several basic essentials were nowhere to be found. Hand sanitizer? Nope. Toilet paper? Nope. Bottled water? Mostly nope. Gloves? Nope. Masks? Nope. Fortunately I am a bit of a preparedness freak, and my wife needs PPE for her job, so we had a large stock of things like toilet paper, gloves, masks, etc. I had a couple of gallons of isopropyl alcohol for cleaning electronics and other purposes, so I was able to make our own sanitizer.
Things were worse for me four years ago versus today. However I will admit that things were also exciting. We'd all suddenly been thrown into this crazy situation, and I relish figuring out how to adapt and thrive in such a situation.

"3.22.20 Were you better off 4 years ago?"
No.

For any Republicans here that are diabetic, the price of insulin was way higher.

Hell no, I watched COVID take a lifelong family friend. Friend to the family for 50 years.

Diagnosed COVID in March of 20 and dead in 2 weeks

So not really.
Yup. This ^

If you’ve been with a job for many years, it’s not that simple. You’re probably making more than you would starting out again.

4 years ago gas was how much? Groceries were how much?

Yes. Everyone was better off 4 years ago.

Yes. Everyone was better off 4 years ago.
Four years ago thousands were dying from Covid daily, hospitals were past capacity , doctors and nurses were overwhelmed, groceries were scarce ...people were losoing their jobs.. I never want to go back to a time like that and if the result of coming through that is a bit morefor gas then do be it. Yes we are all much better off than we were 4 years ago.

Four years ago thousands were dying from Covid daily hospitals were past capacity doctors and nurses were overwhelmed, groceries were scarce ...people were losoing their jobs.. I never want to go back to a time like that and if the result of coming through that is a bit morefor gas then do be it. Yes we are all much better off than we were 4 years ago.
The Rona was the fault of China and Fauci. The presidency of Trump produced fantastic results. Hell the guy even gave you that vaxx that Libbies loved so much.

I do not believe that Trump would have held the nation in lockdown as long as Brandon did, nor do I believe Trump would have allowed fuel prices to go nuts like Brandon did.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom