• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

13 year old beats Tetris

Allan

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Not only did he beat the game, he did in 38 minutes.

I saw this and it lead down a rabbit hole of watching the evolution of the "pro'" tetris circuit.

They would hit limits and then develop new controller methods, then reach new limits, then another breakthrough, etc. Culminating in this, actually crashing the game beyond its intended play, effectively beating the game.
Someone had modded the game to explore later levels and discovered it could be crashed, but no one had done it in a legit game.

He was streaming at the time, and other buddies of his saw he was getting really high and they stopped what they were doing and cheered him on. He got to kind of celebrate with people who watched it live.
One of the breqakthrough controller methods was by this kid cheze (sp?) who watched videos of different arcade control techniques (not just nintendo), and created a novel method blending two other methods.
It paved the way for this win.

It seems not so much beating it, but beating it down until it says uncle. :)
Read something earlier about an AI that 'played' a different version to level 200 something until it crashed.
Never knew beating a game could be a matter of crashing it.

Can't remember(been a long time)how high a level I ever got to, but not even close! Them blocks start dropping fast! That's some serious quick thinking, reflexes, and.. a bit of luck.

I see GameBoy, other platform, and Tetris cartridge demand and prices going up.

I saw this and it lead down a rabbit hole of watching the evolution of the "pro'" tetris circuit.

They would hit limits and then develop new controller methods, then reach new limits, then another breakthrough, etc. Culminating in this, actually crashing the game beyond its intended play, effectively beating the game.
Someone had modded the game to explore later levels and discovered it could be crashed, but no one had done it in a legit game.

He was streaming at the time, and other buddies of his saw he was getting really high and they stopped what they were doing and cheered him on. He got to kind of celebrate with people who watched it live.
One of the breqakthrough controller methods was by this kid cheze (sp?) who watched videos of different arcade control techniques (not just nintendo), and created a novel method blending two other methods.
It paved the way for this win.
Do you recognize the monitor that he's using? Looks old school.

Do you recognize the monitor that he's using? Looks old school.
I don't..orion? It's so small too I figured he'd use a bigger setup. Maybe they figured out the smaller setup gives better reaction time?
He went on to win a pro tournament I think soon after.

I don't..orion? It's so small too I figured he'd use a bigger setup. Maybe they figured out the smaller setup gives better reaction time?
He went on to win a pro tournament I think soon after.
I almost think it looks like an old Apple monitor but I'm not sure.

I almost think it looks like an old Apple monitor but I'm not sure.
I was always anti-Apple..really just ignored it growing up, and was shocked to see people love it later ;P

I had a C64 including the C64 monitor...best single purchase of my youth. Such a great system for its time...great sound chip that's still in use today in niche groups like in Germany who still make music using it. Has a distinct sound that's so right. Then IBM took over and it was terrible sound and graphics, I was so bewildered how we were moving backwards!

This is a truly momentous accomplishment. It brings back fond memories of the day that I landed on the turtle just right on the steps of Mario level 3-1.

I was always anti-Apple..really just ignored it growing up, and was shocked to see people love it later ;P

I had a C64 including the C64 monitor...best single purchase of my youth. Such a great system for its time...great sound chip that's still in use today in niche groups like in Germany who still make music using it. Has a distinct sound that's so right. Then IBM took over and it was terrible sound and graphics, I was so bewildered how we were moving backwards!
I had a 64 haha. I bought a book of DOS programs that could be run on it.

This is a truly momentous accomplishment. It brings back fond memories of the day that I landed on the turtle just right on the steps of Mario level 3-1.
Mario Brothers is the last time I gamed. Just didn't get into it much.

My friend's 14 year old son is a biggly gamer. He can play, talk to his friends on the stream and eat pizza simultaneously. The guy's a wiz.

Another guy did it today!

Crazy

I had a 64 haha. I bought a book of DOS programs that could be run on it.
I had a Vic 20 and a 64. I met people who copied every game, so I got hundreds of games on floppy disks.

Since then, its been home built IBM stuff...

I had a Vic 20 and a 64. I met people who copied every game, so I got hundreds of games on floppy disks.

Since then, its been home built IBM stuff...
My first real computer was an IBM PC/XT. I bought it myself to use at work at a time when our company hadn't embraced the new technology.

It worked great until Microsoft updated Word which wouldn't run on it.

My first real computer was an IBM PC/XT. I bought it myself to use at work at a time when our company hadn't embraced the new technology.

It worked great until Microsoft updated Word which wouldn't run on it.
I had one, and I just continued to upgrade pieces of it for years. My current PC is home built, old I5, but 32 gig memory and a great 3070 TI graphics card, it plays all the good stuff, I'm currently into Fallout 76...level 49!

Mario Brothers is the last time I gamed. Just didn't get into it much.

My friend's 14 year old son is a biggly gamer. He can play, talk to his friends on the stream and eat pizza simultaneously. The guy's a wiz.
I haven't played console games in years. I suppose that I'll find out what modern gaming is like when my kids get older. I had a lot of fun with the GTA series in the 2000s.

What a waste of life

People still play Tetris? Thats news to me.

What a waste of life
Less so than whining about other people on an internet forum. You know exactly jack and shit about the kid, other than he accomplished something and so jealousy reared its ugly head.

Less so than whining about other people on an internet forum. You know exactly jack and shit about the kid, other than he accomplished something and so jealousy reared its ugly head.
I did not comment o the kid----I commented on the activity. So take my wisdom and live a better life. You are welcome.

This dispels the scientific worry that if Tetris was beaten, the global communications network would crash and the machines would rise up against us.

Back
Top Bottom