View Poll Results: Should Corproations have "personhood" rights?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, corporations are just like a person

    18 18.18%
  • No, corporations are not just like a person

    81 81.82%
Page 45 of 71 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 710

Thread: Corporate Personhood

  1. #441
    Student pugetsoundwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    02-10-10 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    252

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    In another thread misterman said

    I say that those of you who believe corporations (and for you misterman, everything in the universe) has the same rights protected by The Constitution of the United States of America as a person, I'll even go so far as to argue, a citizen, are practicing the above definition of judicial activism.

    The Constitution does mention People and Persons but not corporations. Therefore we should not assume that the lack of mention should mean it's intent is different than it's literal interpretation. It doesn't mention corporations as having their rights protected so we shouldn't assume corporations are meant to be so covered.
    I am still wondering how People believe a non-living thing such as a Corp has human rights...OHHHH I just figured it out..they listen to Rush, Fox news and the like that whisper that and other lies in their ears..no, no..strike that, they don't whisper anything but YELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  2. #442
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Corporate Personhoodhttp://www.debatepolitics.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1058

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    It's not impossible. We simply must demand from our elected officials that they pass public campaign finance or don't elect/re-elect them until it passes.
    Requiring that only public funds should finance a campaign doesn’t address the issue of favors outside of campaigns.

    I was speaking of the overall political corruption issue, not exclusively campaign finance.

    And you can’t tell me that politicians won’t find some way around any such law.

    Not to mention, the potential for such a law to be overturned in court because it violates the 1st amendment.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  3. #443
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by pugetsoundwa View Post
    I am still wondering how People believe a non-living thing such as a Corp has human rights...OHHHH I just figured it out..they listen to Rush, Fox news and the like that whisper that and other lies in their ears..no, no..strike that, they don't whisper anything but YELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wrong. I'm a liberal who detests Rush and Fox. This decision is solid. And nobody said corporations had "human rights," that's your straw man.

  4. #444
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Corporate Personhoodhttp://www.debatepolitics.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1058

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Requiring that only public funds should finance a campaign doesn’t address the issue of favors outside of campaigns.
    What's the definition of a favor?

  5. #445
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by pugetsoundwa View Post
    I am still wondering how People believe a non-living thing such as a Corp has human rights...OHHHH I just figured it out..they listen to Rush, Fox news and the like that whisper that and other lies in their ears..no, no..strike that, they don't whisper anything but YELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As I see it, a Corporation has human rights because those who own/run/control it do.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  6. #446
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Corporate Personhoodhttp://www.debatepolitics.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1058

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    What's the definition of a favor?
    Favor Definition | Definition of Favor at Dictionary.com

    Favor - Definition and More from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary

    Which definitions seem to eliminate my use of the word "favors".

    I shall replace it with "Mutual jerkoffs", or something.
    Last edited by The Mark; 01-27-10 at 08:23 PM.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  7. #447
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Corporate Personhoodhttp://www.debatepolitics.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1058

    Ah, so you don't support democracy then. Your argument is simply absurd. Everything an elected official does that benefits the people is a "favor."

  8. #448
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Corporate Personhoodhttp://www.debatepolitics.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1058

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Ah, so you don't support democracy then. Your argument is simply absurd. Everything an elected official does that benefits the people is a "favor."
    I was using the word "favor" to refer to any of the multitude of potential ways other politicians, lobbiests, businesses, and entities of various types can repay a politician for supporting/opposing a bill that they want/don't want.

    Favors was the wrong word.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  9. #449
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhoodhttp://www.debatepolitics.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1058

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Ah, so you don't support democracy then. Your argument is simply absurd. Everything an elected official does that benefits the people is a "favor."
    I would say it's their JOB. Of course that's on the assumption that corporations aren't people.

  10. #450
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by pugetsoundwa View Post
    I am still wondering how People believe a non-living thing such as a Corp has human rights...OHHHH I just figured it out..they listen to Rush, Fox news and the like that whisper that and other lies in their ears..no, no..strike that, they don't whisper anything but YELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes, it's not possible for anyone to disagree with you unless they're just a brainwashed moron who listens to Rush. It couldn't be that you don't appear to have a grasp on the nuances of the issue.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Page 45 of 71 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •