View Poll Results: Would you (gladly) live in a predomantly African-American neighborhood?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    20 44.44%
  • No.

    23 51.11%
  • I would say no, but am afraid of being called a racist.

    1 2.22%
  • I am a hypocrite and will say yes even though i mean no.

    1 2.22%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 123

Thread: Would You Live in a Neighborhood which is Predominantly African-American?

  1. #91
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Would You Live in a Neighborhood which is Predominantly African-American?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Maybe I wasnt clear so I will try again..

    These blacks you speak off that dont want to live in an all black neighborhood I would guess (totally guess I could be wrong) were falsely associating it with poverty or crime etc etc (tv, movies, media)

    These blacks you speak of are cops raised in harlem..bronx and bed sty ...they dont falsely associate anything theyve lived it their entire lives unlike most posting in this thread.

    1.) There are some black neighborhoods where a white guy wouldnt leave his house and wouldnt be safe in it.....

    2.)now you can try to make a fact into a racist statement if you want too but thats on you

    3.).....My thing is this...I dont want to live in an all black neighborhood and Im not a racist...and to insinuate someone is a racist who prefers NOT to live in a specific neighborhood is just plain wrong...and Id bet a donut there isnt any whitefolk in this thread actively seeking out an abode in all black neighborhood...talk is cheap...living it is a whole different ballgame....Im not being sarcastic or trying to be insulting..>I really believe most in this thread just dont understand because they have never seen it on any reg basis or lived it....theres lots of blacks that wont live in an all black neighborhood and they dont hate their own.

    1.) again you are still missing it, the neighborhood you are talking about is a ****ty unsafe neighborhood that just happens to have mainly blacks in it, there are other neighborhoods just the same with mainly other races in it. Thats why associating it with blacks is silly. You are talking about UNSAFE neighborhoods not black ones.

    2.) I did NOTHING of the sort in fact I said the exact OPPOSITE and stated that this

    I do agree with you though, I wouldnt go as far as it means "one is definitely racist" you can NOT draw that absolute from the decision unless you ask MORE questions and try to understand why.
    3.) this rant has nothing to do with me or my post. For me to know if you are a racist or made your decesion for eracist reasons Id have to ask you more questions as to why. Has I already stated it can NOT be made an absolute without knowing more info and simply choosing not to live in a black community alone. Id have to know why.



    Lastly whats not being understood is on your end, not the people in this thread. The people in this thread dont want to live in BAD neighborhoods. If they are black so be it but black had nothing to do with there decision its because its a bad neighborhood.

    I mean unless you are suggesting that all black neighborhoods are bad? Is that what you are doing?

    there are certainly white neighborhoods where a black person wouldnt be safe LOL


    the bottom line is, if race is your sole deciding factor you probably have some issues BUT that can NOT be determined without knowing more
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #92
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Would You Live in a Neighborhood which is Predominantly African-American?

    Also to be clear lpast I am not calling YOU racist.

    I think people throw that word around to often and its sad. As a matter of fact doing a racist thing doesnt even make one a racist.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #93
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Would You Live in a Neighborhood which is Predominantly African-American?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    But the question wasn't "would you live in an all black neighborhood", it was "would you live in a predominantly <black> neighborhood". There is a difference between the two.

    Plus, there is no mention as to what the economic makeup of that neighborhood is, nor the crime rate or gang activity in that neighborhood.

    The only thing we know about the neighborhood is that most of the residents (>50%) are black. Okay? So? If all the important characteristics of the neighborhood that I already mentioned are important to me are met, then I doubt I would even know that the area has such a population distribution. Even if someone informed me of this fact, I would likely ask about the neighborhood atmosphere, but besides a consideration of that extra consideration (the answer being the most important part), it wouldn't be an issue in and of itself.

    Ok well I took predominantly to mean a whole lot more than 50% thats not a predominant number....I wouldnt actively seek residence in a predominantly black neighborhood...if I wound up living in one for whatever reason Id deal with it..even though it wouldnt be my preference...lets be honest here ok...black neighborhoods are black or predominantly black because whites arent running around the neighborhood looking for vacancies.
    I am not a racist...and people that prefer to be with their own isnt racist in itself either...there are many blacks that dont want to live around whites either...we have to stop labeling people racist because they dont do or wont do or dont want to do everything as we and an individual think it should be....thats just as wrong as being a racist...and it makes matters worse imho.

  4. #94
    Professor
    Billy the Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 02:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Would You Live in a Neighborhood which is Predominantly African-American?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    STOP DOING THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT Meathead wants you to do!


    Eminem wrote his little song/movie about 8 Mile Rd, well that was the high-rent district compared with where I lived. Everyone had iron screen doors and iron bars on their windows - if they were smart. It was a tough area and didn't suffer fools gladly. Everyone looked over their shoulders. Only the strong survived.
    Last edited by Billy the Kid; 04-28-12 at 10:23 PM.

  5. #95
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Would You Live in a Neighborhood which is Predominantly African-American?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Rofl? I wanted it? Um - no the OP asked whether you'd move to a neighbourhood simply based on the racial demographics. Maybe if you didn't spend your time figuring out ways to say black people are brainwashed, you'd see past the painfully visible intent behind this abomination of a thread. Then again, most white conservative women are brainwashed into believing immigrants move into poor neighbourhoods because of the nightlife so I'm not really shocked at your response.
    Maybe you should consider that you might be one of those, Hat. If this thread is such an abomination, why are you in it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    How far back were you going, bright eyes?

    If you are talking about RECENT immigrants, they will tend to live in to the areas where they can afford to stay and where they feel most comfortable.....hence, already established ethic areas that were established by previous ethnic groups...that did so because of segregation, that was official or informal.
    I can agree with this. But that doesn't mean that segregation is alive and well in the US. It's not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Laughable at best.
    Yes, in this thread, you are. There's nothing wrong with the OP. Just in your own mind. You're the only poster taking it there. Hmmmm....
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #96
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Would You Live in a Neighborhood which is Predominantly African-American?

    I'm sorry, but again I don't have an answer that applies in the list. I'm white. I have friends of many races. Race doesn't matter to me, culture does. I'd live in some black neighborhoods but not others, exactly the same for white neighborhoods.

  7. #97
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Would You Live in a Neighborhood which is Predominantly African-American?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Ok well I took predominantly to mean a whole lot more than 50% thats not a predominant number....I wouldnt actively seek residence in a predominantly black neighborhood...if I wound up living in one for whatever reason Id deal with it..even though it wouldnt be my preference...lets be honest here ok...black neighborhoods are black or predominantly black because whites arent running around the neighborhood looking for vacancies.
    I am not a racist...and people that prefer to be with their own isnt racist in itself either...there are many blacks that dont want to live around whites either...we have to stop labeling people racist because they dont do or wont do or dont want to do everything as we and an individual think it should be....thats just as wrong as being a racist...and it makes matters worse imho.
    I'm not saying anyone is racist, nor would I think that about anyone who says "no, I wouldn't be happy living in such a neighborhood". I actually can understand the sentiment of wanting to be around people like you, even in skin color.

    For me personally, I could care less because I am not one to interact a whole lot with my neighbors by choice. I am fairly introverted. There have only been a few neighbors since I reached adulthood that I have even known their names or talked to more than just to say hi, and even those would really only be counted as "acquaintances". I am really nice and polite to people, but I don't normally initiate relationships.

    I can't see many feeling that the most important aspect or one of the most important aspects of where they live being what the racial/ethnic makeup of the area is. There are likely some, particularly if we are talking immigrants, but I don't see this in the same light as how the OP's question is being asked. Even most of those who would look for a specific racial/ethnic makeup of an area now are not really looking for it due to insecurities about a certain race/ethnicity (some might), but rather a feeling of security and familiarity with those who are of their same race/ethnicity.

    I truly feel though that this is one of the least important things on the list for what people look for in a neighborhood that they are looking to live in.

    And considering that the population of the US is only about 13-15% black, a neighborhood that is greater than 50% black could easily be viewed as being "predominantly black".
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #98
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Would You Live in a Neighborhood which is Predominantly African-American?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I'm not saying anyone is racist, nor would I think that about anyone who says "no, I wouldn't be happy living in such a neighborhood". I actually can understand the sentiment of wanting to be around people like you, even in skin color.

    For me personally, I could care less because I am not one to interact a whole lot with my neighbors by choice. I am fairly introverted. There have only been a few neighbors since I reached adulthood that I have even known their names or talked to more than just to say hi, and even those would really only be counted as "acquaintances". I am really nice and polite to people, but I don't normally initiate relationships.

    I can't see many feeling that the most important aspect or one of the most important aspects of where they live being what the racial/ethnic makeup of the area is. There are likely some, particularly if we are talking immigrants, but I don't see this in the same light as how the OP's question is being asked. Even most of those who would look for a specific racial/ethnic makeup of an area now are not really looking for it due to insecurities about a certain race/ethnicity (some might), but rather a feeling of security and familiarity with those who are of their same race/ethnicity.

    I truly feel though that this is one of the least important things on the list for what people look for in a neighborhood that they are looking to live in.

    And considering that the population of the US is only about 13-15% black, a neighborhood that is greater than 50% black could easily be viewed as being "predominantly black".

    I gotcha rogue and I dont really disagree with you..

  9. #99
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Would You Live in a Neighborhood which is Predominantly African-American?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I can agree with this. But that doesn't mean that segregation is alive and well in the US. It's not
    Official? No, not officially, that was made illegal at the fed and state levels. But don't kid yourself into thinking that informal segregation, an extension of discrimination, has disappeared from US culture just because it is not legal to do so any longer.

    Minorities do group together for protection and a sense of security, don't shut yourself out from finding out why.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #100
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Would You Live in a Neighborhood which is Predominantly African-American?

    Meathead-
    What I am getting at is you seem rather clueless about this country. It is as if you never set foot in this country, though you claim to have lived here.

    I can tell you this, black folk are not so different than white folk. Well to do blacks are a lot like well to do whites and poor blacks are a lot like poor whites.

    It is as if you want Americans to say they use sight to determine who they would like to be their neighbors.

    I wouldn't want to live in a 90% black slum anymore than a 90% white welfare trailer park.

    It just seems like a weird question.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •