Page 31 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 939

Thread: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

  1. #301
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,127

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    It isn't normal simply in that such a small percentage of our species is homosexual.
    Appeal to Normality

    My argument is that it isn't natural
    Appeal to Nature

    combine that with my upbringing
    Anecdotal Evidence

    my religion,
    Appeal to Faith

    and thousands of years of human history
    Appeal to Tradition

    and you find my opposition.
    Which is completely irrational, illogical, and without any credible evidence.

  2. #302
    Educator TheBook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Last Seen
    11-28-11 @ 01:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    880

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I'm familiar with the bonobo. Comparing us to animals in nature is an appeal to nature which doesn't really help your case. Mainly because you don't know why they engage in these behaviors. Bononbos and Chimps are VERY closely related and yet you don't see that behavior in Chimps....
    Actually homosexuality has been reported amongst all great apes.

    Most believe that they use sex as a way of diffusing tension and avoiding confrontation.

    Also, I am merely pointing out why your claim that homosexuality is unnatural is blatantly false.

    This combined with your argument that is not "normal" (which was pretty much disproved with the point of left-handedness) leaves you without any real basis for your reasoning.
    “The more you know, the harder it is to take decisive action. Once you become informed, you start seeing complexities and shades of gray. You realize that nothing is as clear and simple as it first appears. Ultimately, knowledge is paralyzing.” - Bill Watterson
    Who Is Chicago Ted?

  3. #303
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Comparing us to animals in nature is an appeal to nature which doesn't really help your case.
    That's not an appeal to nature at all. An appeal to nature is trying to say something is right or wrong because ti is natural or unnatural.

    Ina discussion about whether or not something IS natural is, by necessity, going to involve discussing nature.

  4. #304
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Homosexuality doesn't serve any benefit to our species. In my view, if homosexuality were natural, our bodies would accommodate it and it would serve a function in our species.
    Well, it serves a benefit to individuals. Something doesn't have to serve a benefit to species to be natural. I like practicing archery. It doesn't serve our species, just me. I do it for fun, I do it for please. Doing something for the reason of "I felt like it" is actually a fantastic reason to do something.
    Give a man a fish, or he will destroy the only existing vial of antidote.

  5. #305
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,830

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I'm familiar with the bonobo. Comparing us to animals in nature is an appeal to nature which doesn't really help your case. Mainly because you don't know why they engage in these behaviors. Bononbos and Chimps are VERY closely related and yet you don't see that behavior in Chimps....
    HAhahahah.

    Not every animal does it, so it doesn't count!!

    This is beyond moving goalposts. Now you're not even playing the same game as everyone else.

    Did you REALLY just say pointing out animal activities is an "appeal to nature" when discussing what is and is not natural?

    I mean jesus do you know how dumb that sounds?
    Last edited by Deuce; 03-14-11 at 03:21 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #306
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,127

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Homosexuality doesn't serve any benefit to our species. In my view, if homosexuality were natural, our bodies would accommodate it and it would serve a function in our species.
    YES! THANK YOU! You finally took the exact position I told you that you were going to take.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    As such, your definition of natural is nothing more than whether or not something serves a final cause or purpose. Anything that, in your mind, does not serve a final cause or purpose, you will see as immoral.
    You are a teleologist.

  7. #307
    Educator TheBook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Last Seen
    11-28-11 @ 01:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    880

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Homosexuality doesn't serve any benefit to our species. In my view, if homosexuality were natural, our bodies would accommodate it and it would serve a function in our species.
    By this logic, male nipples are unnatural.
    “The more you know, the harder it is to take decisive action. Once you become informed, you start seeing complexities and shades of gray. You realize that nothing is as clear and simple as it first appears. Ultimately, knowledge is paralyzing.” - Bill Watterson
    Who Is Chicago Ted?

  8. #308
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    Well, it serves a benefit to individuals. Something doesn't have to serve a benefit to species to be natural. I like practicing archery. It doesn't serve our species, just me. I do it for fun, I do it for please. Doing something for the reason of "I felt like it" is actually a fantastic reason to do something.
    Agreed. Also, people who are attracted to the same sex can also have families. Their affection for each other is no less a foundation for creating a family than that between opposite sex couples. In the past, they could have accomplished this by simply having sex, but with current technology they don't even have to involve other people; not to mention all the kids who need adopting.

  9. #309
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,127

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
    By this logic, male nipples are unnatural.
    Not to mention that the 95% of males who masturbate are bad people because they know their hand is not a reproductive organ.

  10. #310
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
    By this logic, male nipples are unnatural.
    They cause homosexuality.

Page 31 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •