• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What three things should a person avoid once they are past 70 years old? (1 Viewer)

1. Never Exercise.

The benefits of exercise after 70 are numerous. Higher energy, better health, restful sleep, etc. Swimming, yoga, walking, and aerobics are all ways to get moving with low impact on your body. You could feel better and regain youthful energy if you take part in one or all of these activities. Sounds like a recipe for success.

2. Be alone as much as possible and never make new friends.
You had the same friends for decades, and, sadly, some aren’t here anymore. Some you’ve lost touch with. AARP says that friends are good for your brain and help you keep your mind sharp. The likelihood of depression and even physical health maladies reduces when we have a healthy social life. This can sound a little intimidating, but there are easy ways to make friends as an older adult.

3. Let your brain retire.

You spent all those years working, isn’t it time to let your brain rest? If you want to make the most out of your 70s, you’ve got to exercise your brain and prioritize your health. How do you do that? Keep your cholesterol low, exercise regularly, eat well, and socialize.

4. Eat like a 20 year old.

Fatty foods, high sugar content, lots of alcohol and caffeine, and heavy dairy–these are the staples of poor nutrition after 70. The National Institute on Aging has tips for healthy meal planning for older adults and stresses how eating healthfully and maintaining an active lifestyle can support your wellness as you age.

5. Never look for a new purpose after you turn 70.

Many older adults make the mistake of living in the past. Focusing on past regrets can cause you to waste precious time in your senior years. Successful, happy people who are over 70 are chasing a new purpose. Whether it’s in church, volunteering, or finding a new hobby – discovering a new way to spend time will change your outlook on life.
When my father was 70 years old, the doctors said the illnesses he had meant that he probably only had 5 years to live. He turned 93. If there is something I learned from this. Is this:

Never stop looking forward

Continue to take an interest in what is happening in the world, for new artists, new musicians or new writers depending on what you are interested in.

Don't think about death or how far you have left. That day comes time enough.

If your old friends have died or feel too old to be able to socialize. Find new ones.

When the body no longer works with you, find a solution (like a permobil or a cutter to pull up the gulf)

Never give up your dreams, ignore whether they are unrealistic or not.

Generous benefits to the elderly??? Please do tell! Can't wait to hear this!!!
Well in Texas the amount you pay in property tax freezes at 65, and while I am not certain it is in the law, they don't take
anyone's house for failure to pay property taxes after age 65, but place a lean on the property.
The homestead exemption also increases (Lowering the taxes).

What a great post and testimonial...
I can respect your grit, so keep hanging in there and be tough...
I have never "Followed" anyone but with your permission, you will be first...
Thanks for that GREAT post...
-TheLOW

My goodness! I didn't write that with any thought to the explanation of my recent life events being of any great significance to anyone but myself, so I feel like maybe I've done something good for at least one member of this community.

Well, I better be careful about my life events, because I ran into Doc Abe a few weeks ago while in another section of that hospital and I was surprised at his pleasantness to see me, which was not at all like when he and I went at each other over decisions that had to be made during that bad relapse back in 2021 and 2022. He cut corners to keep me alive, which I had no problem with; but once it was clear I would stay alive I needed some leave time once a month to handle important business and that was supposed to be against hospital rules, but I forced his hand, in a manner of putting it. I guess I'm forgiven. Plus I got him in trouble with another doctor back then because of my own stupidity and maybe that is forgiven. He seemed happy to see me back a few weeks ago. Anyway, he'll be the chief doc again starting next month --- that is the team chief for my care. I've got multiple docs working on me. I'm kind of their freak of nature because I am still alive and even still walking without assistance of devices, as noted in that other post (and repeating myself) aren't I? Sorry.

Okay, that "Following" stuff; I'm not so sure what that is about, but as long as you don't suddenly appear out of one of my monitors and start talking to me face-to-face I have no qualms about that following thing. Of course, I don't know what it is about, but I can learn.

Oh yes, just briefed myself again on that info in your signature and now I remember seeing that before and wondering if you may be with a VFW or Legion Post; BUT that isn't something to be discussed out here in public. I will make mention that I was up at Phubai right toward the end doing some very odd dealing with communications.

Another odd life event was I was given (at no cost to me) my Life Membership in the VFW as an appreciation for work I did for a number of years at post and district levels, which was actually quite a surprise and one heck of an honor. I had been maintaining the yearly membership payments for quite a long time.

I think I'm starting to ramble, though. I'll just close with a 'thank you' for your response. You surprised me and that isn't easy to do.

But the thing is, HangLow, as we didn't see this Internet and little telephone computers coming, we thought what was happening was high tech. You know, when the TV went from black-white to color, that was a big deal. V8 engines, now that was absolutely fantastic. And tell me the first steps into space weren't mind boggling. Then they actually got humans to walk on the Moon. We started to see those cassette players put out good sound from a little piece of equipment. Bose speakers were pretty neat to have in my day. All of that was OUR high tech.

Of course, for some of us there was the high tech of that M16 that once they put that anti-jamming piece onto it, it could be relied upon --- well, that was a different kind of high tech. (Still had to keep it super clean, though.) That F4 providing air support, darn sure was high tech. And choppers finally started being darn useful pieces of equipment; Cobra, Huey, Chinook - - - all darn useful.

I think we had our own kind of high tech.

BUT, I do agree that there does seem to be something kind of missing these days; although I am not quite sure what it is. Sometimes I think the problem is people know too much. There is too much knowledge and so new stuff doesn't impress people anymore. Does that make sense?

By the way, I hope that vehicle in your picture DOESN'T have any brakes! And there is a nice level stretch for slowing down!! And I'LL take the driver's seat in that situation!!! But I was never that brave, anyway - - - looks like a little TOO MUCH adventure for me - - - young or old.

But the thing is, HangLow, as we didn't see this Internet and little telephone computers coming, we thought what was happening was high tech. You know, when the TV went from black-white to color, that was a big deal. V8 engines, now that was absolutely fantastic. And tell me the first steps into space weren't mind boggling. Then they actually got humans to walk on the Moon. We started to see those cassette players put out good sound from a little piece of equipment. Bose speakers were pretty neat to have in my day. All of that was OUR high tech.

Of course, for some of us there was the high tech of that M16 that once they put that anti-jamming piece onto it, it could be relied upon --- well, that was a different kind of high tech. (Still had to keep it super clean, though.) That F4 providing air support, darn sure was high tech. And choppers finally started being darn useful pieces of equipment; Cobra, Huey, Chinook - - - all darn useful.

BUT, I do agree that there does seem to be something kind of missing these days; although I am not quite sure what it is. Sometimes I think the problem is people know too much. There is too much knowledge and so new stuff doesn't impress people anymore. Does that make sense?

By the way, I hope that vehicle in your picture DOESN'T have any brakes! And there is a nice level stretch for slowing down!! And I'LL take the driver's seat in that situation!!! But I was never that brave, anyway - - - looks like a little TOO MUCH adventure for me - - - young or old.
I embraced the change, and went to school to lean about lasers, but ended up in data communications.
I do not think people know too much, but not enough, Knowledge has become compartmentalized.
I see people using things without understanding what came before it.
In programing, it's called object oriented design, fine in principle, but unless they understand what all the objects do,
it can lead to unforeseen outcomes. The old Engineers I grew up with were nothing shy of amazing, it not that they
put a man on the Moon, but the tools they used to do it with. It took real creativity, to do what they did with the very crud tools at their
disposal. This was not just with NASA, but in every technology and industry.

In my 71st year here. Relatively healthy and hope to stay so.
Age changes things whether one cares to admit it or not.
My three biggest avoidances are:
  1. While driving DON’T ignore your body when it speaks. Can’t see at night? Don’t drive at night. Cars whizzing past you at 80mph make your palms sweaty? Stay off the interstate. You get the picture.
  2. Stay off anything higher than your knees. Past 70, no matter how much you work out or hike or ya, ya, ya, your body injures easier and heals harder and longer. The higher you go, the bigger the potential injury. The risk of falling because your reflexes, no matter how quick, have diminished is great at any height.
  3. Don’t waste energy being angry at the system. Accept the changes in the way things are done in all aspects of your life. Accept them as your parents had to accept the changes you brought about. The system is about the young and their future. Just as it was for you. Quit complaining and get on board. If you don’t your life will just keep getting harder and harder.
Here’s to your happy future!
-Peace

I turned 75 in March. Sky diving is out. Mountain climbing is "paused" but sex is still an option.

I don't drive. Not in this city. Gave that up 13 years ago. Public transit is petty good here and I'm within walking distance of downtown.

I walk. I walk every day, rain or shine and I make sure I speak to at least two people and if possible one of them I haven't met before. With a goal of making at least one person smile, I "succeed" every trip.

Lately I have felt a loneliness which I had not anticipated. Not sure what to do with it yet...will let it stew for awhile.

I am the last one standing. Everyone but a distant cousin is dead along with most of my high school friends.

What tickles me most is being told I don't look my age! I used to get shit for not acting my age. This is better.

I'm 56, and while I do not consider myself old, my body is definitely high mileage...a few decades in the military will take its toll on you.

Shit.

I climbed Mount Logan at 59!

You have a long way to go my friend. The bod may have some miles on it but at 56 there's a lot more there. Walk every day. Stay mobile. Every friend I have had had sat down when they stopped working. Got comfy in front of the TV and never got up. Most of them are dead now.

Start walking. You don't need a map, directions, just start walking. Then when you're more able, ramp it up, go faster so that you're bordering on being out of breath. An hour of that per day and you'll feel 46 in no time.

1. Minimize skydiving and MMA fights.
2. Stop walking into bars and telling everyone to shut the hell up.
3. Stop running for office.

Shit.

You have a long way to go my friend. The bod may have some miles on it but at 56 there's a lot more there. Walk every day. Stay mobile. Every friend I have had had sat down when they stopped working. Got comfy in front of the TV and never got up. Most of them are dead now.

Start walking. You don't need a map, directions, just start walking. Then when you're more able, ramp it up, go faster so that you're bordering on being out of breath. An hour of that per day and you'll feel 46 in no time.

Nothing wrong with my cardiovascular health; however, the injuries and regular abuse from jumps, heavy load carrying, and general wear that leads to fractures, destroyed knees, compressed discs, osteoarthritis, etc, that comes with Army life have left me with significant orthopedic damage and wear and tear.
Fortunately the VA will be replacing my knees, but until then I'm going to have to skip the next Boston Marathon.

Nothing wrong with my cardiovascular health; however, the injuries and regular abuse from jumps, heavy load carrying, and general wear that leads to fractures, destroyed knees, compressed discs, osteoarthritis, etc, that comes with Army life have left me with significant orthopedic damage and wear and tear.
Fortunately the VA will be replacing my knees, but until then I'm going to have to skip the next Boston Marathon.
Jesus, man. Don't run.

1) Dying.
2) Stroking out.
3) Conscription.

Things to avoid after age 70

From experience:

1. Bossy women

2. Nasty tempered cats

3. Bar-room brawls (should have given them up more than 50 years ago when I got out of the Navy)

You know, my mother used to say, sometimes it's not learning that's needed, but unlearning. :)

Shit.

I started walking daily a few years ago, and dang it, I think you're right. I feel better than I did ten years ago! :)
Now I need to start that talking to a few people a day thing, hopefully I don't freak them out. lol Because you know me. ;)

You know, my mother used to say, sometimes it's not learning that's needed, but unlearning. :)

I have a gut feeling your mother had some smarts about her. And you have now added that expression to a collection I hope my brain is properly maintaining, even though I find it (the brain) is glitchy these days that I suppose is a part of the definition of aging, although the darn chemo stuff probably causes some of that.

Funny that trade-off; let them give you the chemo to stay alive, but knowing it will cause the brain to not be quite so sharp. But now I'm sliding off-topic, aren't I.

Anyway, thanks for sharing that with us, Ginger Ale.

EDIT: Just realized that interaction with y'all here on this discussion platform may just be helping my brain keep a bit of an edge. Never thought of that before. I wonder how many doctors have thought of that and recommend a patient to be an active member in a place like this?

I have a gut feeling your mother had some smarts about her. And you have now added that expression to a collection I hope my brain is properly maintaining, even though I find it (the brain) is glitchy these days that I suppose is a part of the definition of aging, although the darn chemo stuff probably causes some of that.

Funny that trade-off; let them give you the chemo to stay alive, but knowing it will cause the brain to not be quite so sharp. But now I'm sliding off-topic, aren't I.

Anyway, thanks for sharing that with us, Ginger Ale.

EDIT: Just realized that interaction with y'all here on this discussion platform may just be helping my brain keep a bit of an edge. Never thought of that before. I wonder how many doctors have thought of that and recommend a patient to be an active member in a place like this?
I'm glad to pass on an expression! I do believe chatting on here helps our brains stay stimulated, and active! I hope the chemo does the job without wrecking the house, it sometimes likes to party! lol

I've had quite a few friends get through that bumpy chemo ride and come out the other end surprisingly well. I hope it does the same for you!

I'm learning quite a bit on here! One thing I can say is it's a great distraction, and keeps me up on my grammar, which is terrible, so I need it. ;)

I'm glad to pass on an expression! I do believe chatting on here helps our brains stay stimulated, and active! I hope the chemo does the job without wrecking the house, it sometimes likes to party! lol

I've had quite a few friends get through that bumpy chemo ride and come out the other end surprisingly well. I hope it does the same for you!

I'm learning quite a bit on here! One thing I can say is it's a great distraction, and keeps me up on my grammar, which is terrible, so I need it. ;)

Thank you for extending your best wishes in my direction.

I think my system has been able to handle the three rounds of chemotherapy in a pretty good manner. Very fortunate the medical professionals over the years have been able to figure out how to do that job. Especially fortunate with the last round of some new stuff.

I suspect the memory lapses are probably not as bad as might be the case for others in similar circumstances, but having always had a tilt toward the perfectionist style might also mean I worry too much.

And your point about learning from others in this online community; me too. And in my case it is very important because I am not immersed in my own culture. I mean, other than in the many years until recently where I have been immersed in the military/diplomatic culture of my nation's citizens living overseas. Since my sort of forced retirement that has even become a lesser influence in my life. BUT I hope that remains true, because the only way that would change would be if some trouble arose with either Kid Kim or the mainland China leaders.

Actually, the political tilt of a lot of the exchanges between members here is a fair bit new to me. And surprising. A new learning experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom