Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Unionized Fast Food

  1. #1
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    37,100

    Unionized Fast Food

    Only in Portlandia.

    An article from the Willamette Week: Workers at Portlandís Busiest Burgerville Say Managers Are Trying to Bust Their Union

    The story starts with a sob story about a woman 8 month pregnant being suspended without pay.

    Duh... Fast food isn't a career job, and isn't a safety and risk for someone 8 months pregnant to work. They formed a union and no contractual agreements are made yet.

    If I am to believe the story, which is firmly one-sided, I still cannot sympathize with people who think they will get more pay and benefit from one of many fast food chains, and not make it go bankrupt, when their competition doesn't do the same. The article talks about retaliation, of which I bet is just getting rid of bad employees anyway. Really hard to say. However, it's a franchise. How many unique contracts would there be?

    Now my personal view, is that a major competitor like Burger King or McDonald's got this going, just to get rid of what is probably the best fast food chain in the Northwest. Burgerville already costs more than most fast food. They use high quality Northwest sourced food. The location nearest me is the worse Burgerville I ever ate at, but it's still better than the competition. Except maybe Carl's Jr.

    How many people think fast food should be unionized? Here in Portlandia, a few Burgerville locations are the first in the nation to unionize.

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,220

    Re: Unionized Fast Food

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    Only in Portlandia.

    An article from the Willamette Week: Workers at Portlandís Busiest Burgerville Say Managers Are Trying to Bust Their Union

    The story starts with a sob story about a woman 8 month pregnant being suspended without pay.

    Duh... Fast food isn't a career job, and isn't a safety and risk for someone 8 months pregnant to work. They formed a union and no contractual agreements are made yet.

    If I am to believe the story, which is firmly one-sided, I still cannot sympathize with people who think they will get more pay and benefit from one of many fast food chains, and not make it go bankrupt, when their competition doesn't do the same. The article talks about retaliation, of which I bet is just getting rid of bad employees anyway. Really hard to say. However, it's a franchise. How many unique contracts would there be?

    Now my personal view, is that a major competitor like Burger King or McDonald's got this going, just to get rid of what is probably the best fast food chain in the Northwest. Burgerville already costs more than most fast food. They use high quality Northwest sourced food. The location nearest me is the worse Burgerville I ever ate at, but it's still better than the competition. Except maybe Carl's Jr.

    How many people think fast food should be unionized? Here in Portlandia, a few Burgerville locations are the first in the nation to unionize.
    So to sum it up:

    The right is against unions.
    The right is against min wage.
    The right is against free training to help poor people get properly trained on something else.
    The right says poor people should just work more jobs. (of course they don't complain when the workplaces can't accommodate that because workplaces don't work around other workplaces typically.
    The right is against abortions and then against welfare.
    The right is against medical healthcare for the poor because they should just work better jobs that have healthcare coverage, but don't have the training.

    Why doesn't the right just admit that what they really want poor people to do is just DIE so the right doesn't have to deal with them anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logical1 View Post
    Which is greater, the life of the baby or a womans "rights"??????
    Quote Originally Posted by Praxas
    Yes, we know that you don't care Trump bragged about walking in on underage girls naked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    And that bothers you because????????

  3. #3
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    37,100

    Re: Unionized Fast Food

    Quote Originally Posted by Praxas View Post
    So to sum it up:

    The right is against unions.
    The right is against min wage.
    The right is against free training to help poor people get properly trained on something else.
    The right says poor people should just work more jobs. (of course they don't complain when the workplaces can't accommodate that because workplaces don't work around other workplaces typically.
    The right is against abortions and then against welfare.
    The right is against medical healthcare for the poor because they should just work better jobs that have healthcare coverage, but don't have the training.

    Why doesn't the right just admit that what they really want poor people to do is just DIE so the right doesn't have to deal with them anymore.
    How about just realizing that the right wants people to be responsible.

    I see you didn't even read the article. You just wanted to rant, since you didn't address anything in it..

    I'm sorry if that's the highlight of your day, finding ways to bitch.

  4. #4
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,220

    Re: Unionized Fast Food

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    How about just realizing that the right wants people to be responsible.
    And when they aren't, you just want them to die. There finished that last part for you.

    Oh and forgot another thing the right is against:

    The right is against homeless people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logical1 View Post
    Which is greater, the life of the baby or a womans "rights"??????
    Quote Originally Posted by Praxas
    Yes, we know that you don't care Trump bragged about walking in on underage girls naked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    And that bothers you because????????

  5. #5
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    37,100

    Re: Unionized Fast Food

    Quote Originally Posted by Praxas View Post
    And when they aren't, you just want them to die. There finished that last part for you.

    Oh and forgot another thing the right is against:

    The right is against homeless people.
    If you say so.

  6. #6
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,325

    Re: Unionized Fast Food

    Not really surprised with any of this.

    We have a group of employees that are trying to unionize, handed that intention to management, and as of yet have no real collective bargaining agreement. So management responds with white gloving the staff and now they are all upset.

    If fast food workers want to unionize that is there decision to make, but there will always be some sort of response. And I highly doubt any organization facing newly organized labor will ever go well.

    Could be anything from automation, to technology, or something causing downward demand on a labor pool coming with new costs.
    "Democracy without respect for individual rights sucks. It's just ganging up against the weird kid, and I'm always the weird kid." - Penn Jillette.

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,220

    Re: Unionized Fast Food

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    If you say so.
    I don't say so, the right's ACTIONS say so. Sorry you guys don't like facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logical1 View Post
    Which is greater, the life of the baby or a womans "rights"??????
    Quote Originally Posted by Praxas
    Yes, we know that you don't care Trump bragged about walking in on underage girls naked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    And that bothers you because????????

  8. #8
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    37,100

    Re: Unionized Fast Food

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    Not really surprised with any of this.

    We have a group of employees that are trying to unionize, handed that intention to management, and as of yet have no real collective bargaining agreement. So management responds with white gloving the staff and now they are all upset.

    If fast food workers want to unionize that is there decision to make, but there will always be some sort of response. And I highly doubt any organization facing newly organized labor will ever go well.

    Could be anything from automation, to technology, or something causing downward demand on a labor pool coming with new costs.
    What I don't understand is, what do they think unionizing a single fast food chain will accomplish? I can't help but think a competitor is involved, pulling the strings in the shadows, doing this to bust the business.

  9. #9
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    02-10-20 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,240

    Re: Unionized Fast Food

    Quote Originally Posted by Praxas View Post
    So to sum it up:
    Why doesn't the right just admit that what they really want poor people to do is just DIE so the right doesn't have to deal with them anymore.
    Why dont you admit you want everyone who does not agree with an abdication of personal responsibility and your righteous theft of their freedom to die?

    Free free free. There is no free.

    Make the union.
    Raise the min wage to ten, ten thousand, or a hundred thousand. Why not? You are not paying for any of it and then the business owner will flee and all the jobs go away.

    Perhaps it is you that is insidiously advocating to take away the opportunities and jobs they do have and then they can die...Hmm..Why do you hate fast food workers?

    "Morrisha Jones is eight months pregnantóand suspended without pay from her job at Burgerville."--This sounds like the middle of a long line of bad decisions....

    You seem free enough with other peoples resources. It wont take you long to contact her and invite her over to live with you. That would be impressive and the mother of all virtue signals since that appeals to you.
    Thank you

  10. #10
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    02-10-20 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,240

    Re: Unionized Fast Food

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    What I don't understand is, what do they think unionizing a single fast food chain will accomplish? I can't help but think a competitor is involved, pulling the strings in the shadows, doing this to bust the business.
    "Community organizers"
    Thank you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •