Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 135

Thread: What Happens When Democrats Run Your State?

  1. #81
    Sage
    holbritter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,825

    Re: What Happens When Democrats Run Your State?

    Quote Originally Posted by JMR View Post
    Well educated people have a blend of real life and academic experience. Can't make up for the lack of either.
    Well that's a generalized statement that doesn't always ring true. The saying 'book smart, street stupid' rings true in many cases. As soon as you put that Phd behind a name, they seem to lose touch with reality of the common person.
    ~Words that can't be understood are useless~

    ~The best things in life aren't things~

  2. #82
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,762

    Re: What Happens When Democrats Run Your State?

    Quote Originally Posted by CindyB View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn1fxChSbYk



    Such beautiful scenery and the liberals have just ruined the State of California.
    If it is such a bad place to live, why to one in 10 Americans live there?
    Welcome to the United States


    Donald J. Trump, Regional Manager

    Vladimir V. Putin, Supreme Ruler


  3. #83
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: What Happens When Democrats Run Your State?

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    It wasn't a term, just part of the sentence.
    Not perfectly written, but I understood the exact meaning.
    This was settled some time ago. There was room for misunderstanding in the sentence and Kal'Stang has acknowledged that, as did Grand Mal. Apologies were offered accepted.

  4. #84
    Sage
    NIMBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    37,989

    Re: What Happens When Democrats Run Your State?

    Quote Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
    I wasn't going to waste a half hour watching the whole biased video. However, the first claim it made was that 'liberal policies are causing migration from California.' As of December 2017, California Population Grew By 300K, Nears 40 Million.

    Moreover, the time periods mentioned were times that California had a Republican governor and lived under conservative policies, like Proposition 13.

    If that video is supposed to be evidence that liberal policies when they are enacted at the state level, the claim is an epic failure. California, if it were a country, would have the sixth largest economy in the world and has a population that is generally content. It is also a state that contributes more than it receives from the federal government. Which are the states that receive more from the federal government? Those are generally the red states, that hate the federal government.

    Let's bump this one from 01/23; it's time for this discussion.
    Let's have all the states get back as much as they give Uncle Sam; seems only fair huh?
    Sounds like the essence of the 10th amendment, State's Rights, not states being wronged.
    (Good to see you girl) ...
    Physics is Phun; Chemists Have Solutions

  5. #85
    Sage


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    9,157

    Re: What Happens When Democrats Run Your State?

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    Let's bump this one from 01/23; it's time for this discussion.
    Let's have all the states get back as much as they give Uncle Sam; seems only fair huh?
    Sounds like the essence of the 10th amendment, State's Rights, not states being wronged.
    (Good to see you girl) ...
    To be fair, all states cannot afford equally. Mississippi isn’t New York. I don’t mind helping the poor states. What I mind is those state’s right wing rhetoric complaining about the “takers” when they’re the takers.
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." --J.S. Mill

  6. #86
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    24,709

    Re: What Happens When Democrats Run Your State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    The best places in the world to live are run by liberals.
    What a shame, such a failure on your first post.
    No.

    Liberals took what conservatives made great. Oregon was made great by conservative thinkers, and is now being run into the ground like California.

  7. #87
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,544

    Re: What Happens When Democrats Run Your State?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    If it is such a bad place to live, why to one in 10 Americans live there?
    Why is there such a growing effort of Californians wanting to break away from the leftists and create a new state? Evidently they think as things stand now it isn't such a great place to live.

  8. #88
    Sage

    RAMOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:11 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,984

    Re: What Happens When Democrats Run Your State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    Cool.
    Funny how a simple point of punctuation can make such a difference.
    It does make a huge difference. THink of the difference between 'Let's go eat, Grandma', and 'Let's go eat grandma'.

    One is going out to dinner, and the other is being a cannibal.
    No one needs a war more than a Politician who is low in the Polls.

  9. #89
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,125
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What Happens When Democrats Run Your State?

    This is why FDR warned against public sector unions.

    Pension Nightmare for California's Cities Getting Scarier
    Sacramento Bee

    After years of denial, California’s cities are finally waking up to their pension nightmare. Unfortunately, now the crisis is so dire that there are no painless choices left. To keep up with ballooning pension payments, cities soon will have to raise taxes or cut services, or both.
    Loudly sounding the alarm, the League of California Cities reported this month that most members expect pension costs to jump by at least 50 percent by 2024-25. Pension payments – now about 11 percent of general fund budgets on average – will eat up about 16 percent by then. That doesn’t include increases in retiree health care costs and other benefits. In extreme cases, the pension burden could lead to more bankruptcy filings like Stockton’s and San Bernardino’s in 2012.
    In response, the league is advising cities to consider local tax measures and to negotiate with labor unions to get employees to pay more into their own pensions. That’s easier said than done, of course, especially since local unions are often powerful, well-funded political players. . . .
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #90
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    24,709

    Re: What Happens When Democrats Run Your State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    This is why FDR warned against public sector unions.

    Pension Nightmare for California's Cities Getting Scarier
    Sacramento Bee

    After years of denial, California’s cities are finally waking up to their pension nightmare. Unfortunately, now the crisis is so dire that there are no painless choices left. To keep up with ballooning pension payments, cities soon will have to raise taxes or cut services, or both.
    Loudly sounding the alarm, the League of California Cities reported this month that most members expect pension costs to jump by at least 50 percent by 2024-25. Pension payments – now about 11 percent of general fund budgets on average – will eat up about 16 percent by then. That doesn’t include increases in retiree health care costs and other benefits. In extreme cases, the pension burden could lead to more bankruptcy filings like Stockton’s and San Bernardino’s in 2012.
    In response, the league is advising cities to consider local tax measures and to negotiate with labor unions to get employees to pay more into their own pensions. That’s easier said than done, of course, especially since local unions are often powerful, well-funded political players. . . .
    Perhaps the people should vote on public union contracts. Or make it illegal for unions to fund campaigns in any manner.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •