Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Our opioid crisis is not because of mexico - it's our fault

  1. #11
    May we meet in Valhalla
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,467

    Re: Our opioid crisis is not because of mexico - it's our fault

    Quote Originally Posted by $1000 View Post
    Those people badger doctors because they're already addicted. I've had doctors try to prescribe me Vicodin for stomach pain that I described as a 'four'. He just offered a prescription. If I wasn't well versed in this stuff and just listened to my doctor, I would have taken it. Once the prescription runs out, a lot of people are still addicted (opioids effectively rewire your brain), and since the pills themselves are expensive the poorer ones go in for a illicit kick. It's delusional to assume that people are these sovereign beings with a floating, abstract will which can at any moment intercede ab extra and correct course. Pharma companies push the doctors, the doctors push the drugs, and the pharma companies lie about how addictive the drugs are.
    Sometimes...but not always...and I wouldnt even say a majority of time are they addicted.

    DO you know what the worst curse to modern medicine is?

    WebMD. People go into doctors offices convinced that they know what is wrong with them or little Johnny. Some but not all opiod addicts are addicts from sustained use of prescribed meds. To make that claim you would have to ignore the reality of the number of tobacco addicts we have and alcoholics and heroin addicts and coke addicts.

    Everybody must get stoned.

  2. #12
    May we meet in Valhalla
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,467

    Re: Our opioid crisis is not because of mexico - it's our fault

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau72 View Post
    I don't disagree with you, but really, how much does "blame" really accomplish? As you mention, the species has this desire to "change its perception of reality", whether by alcohol or other substances. And other species besides humans show that same behavior. Are you tilting at windmills?

    Rational public policy is what we need, AND what we totally lack.
    Its not a question so much of blame as it is ownership. The OP was discussing pointing the finger of blame...I was pointing out that dealers fill needs. And how do you make a public policy to regulate 12 year olds huffing or 15 year olds binge drinking or teens stealing drugs and having pharm parties?

    Personally...I think if you want effective policy change, go the route of Social Darwinism.

  3. #13
    Sage
    chuckiechan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    California Caliphate
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,775

    Re: Our opioid crisis is not because of mexico - it's our fault

    Quote Originally Posted by truthatallcost View Post
    1. Mexican cartels have switched from smuggling heroin to fentanyl made in China. The reason this change is killing so many Americans has to do with several factors.

    • Fentanyl is a much more powerful opiate than oxycodone, Vicodin, heroin, or any of the traditional opiate drugs being produced by American pharmaceutical companies.

    • Fentanyl from Mexico is being deceptively sold to Americans as something else; usually the cartels will mislabel fentanyl by pressing the powder into pills, by using a pill press. These pill presses have been available on Amazon, eBay, and Alibaba. The Mexican pills are made to look like legitimate American brand pills, mimicking the size and look of pills commonly prescribed, down to the distinctive number markings manufacturers use on their pills.

    • When the Chinese fentanyl powder is pressed into a pill which resembles Vicodin, oxycodone, or Xanax, the user is essentially ingesting a lethal dose of a drug they thought was something else. Overdose and death occurs in minutes, if not treated in such instances. It's important to remember that many of the overdose deaths now include a user getting a Mexican counterfeit pill laced with deadly fentanyl, not the drug they were intending to take. This scenario is how the pop star Prince died.

    2. While American pharmaceutical companies CLEARLY deserve the bulk share of blame for the opiate crisis, at least their products contain the correct medication, instead of a far deadlier drug disguised as something more benign. American pharmaceutical started this mess, particularly Purdue Pharma, which both created Oxycontin, and spend millions of dollars changing the medical industry's landscape, to operate on greed rather than an earnest attempt to treat illness. When American companies are allowed to essentially act as drug dealers wearing expensive suits, enjoying an air of respectability while being largely unaccountable to laws & morals, we end up with 70,000 dead Americans per year. It may be time to admit that our secular government's de facto religion is the worship of $$$.
    You are on the right track, but one thing: There is a scientific method to mixing powders. The last epidemic of deaths in California was due to improper mixing. Fentanyl is so strong the margin or error is slim, and when mixing is done haphazardly it leads to weak doses mixed with fatal ones.

    IMO, China is doing it on purpose to get back at Anglo's for the Opium epidemic of the 1800's. Round eye's are all the same to them.

    Can anyone tell me why pill machines are sold on Ebay and Amazon, etc? WTF?
    The NBA values Chinese money over freedom.
    Build an impeachment and maybe a crime will come.
    When it’s raining thread craps, you know you have struck a nerve!
    Racism is not being able to read racist rap lyrics out loud because you are white.

  4. #14
    Ghost
    Rising Sun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    05-23-19 @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,930

    Re: Our opioid crisis is not because of mexico - it's our fault

    Agreed it's our own fault. It's just evolution in action. Our nation should legalize all drugs, regulate them like alcohol and tobacco then let nature take its course. Let the weak winnow themselves from the herd.

  5. #15
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    25,500

    Re: Our opioid crisis is not because of mexico - it's our fault

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Its not a question so much of blame as it is ownership. The OP was discussing pointing the finger of blame...I was pointing out that dealers fill needs. And how do you make a public policy to regulate 12 year olds huffing or 15 year olds binge drinking or teens stealing drugs and having pharm parties?

    Personally...I think if you want effective policy change, go the route of Social Darwinism.
    As to your question regarding policy that might prevent youngsters from binge drinking and having pharm parties, one possible solution might be to somehow encourage adult approaches to alcohol use, as many European countries do. For example, making wine and/or other such beverages part of the culture at the dinner table. Demonstrating and encouraging moderation and adult attitudes.

    And another might be to return to the pre-Clinton status quo in which prescription drugs are not allowed to be advertised to the public. Sharyl Attkisson just discussed that on her show last week.

    Presently, TV is inundated with Big Pharma ads. I've been against that all along.

  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:40 AM
    Gender
    Posts
    7,283

    Re: Our opioid crisis is not because of mexico - it's our fault

    Quote Originally Posted by truthatallcost View Post
    2. While American pharmaceutical companies CLEARLY deserve the bulk share of blame for the opiate crisis, at least their products contain the correct medication, instead of a far deadlier drug disguised as something more benign. American pharmaceutical started this mess, particularly Purdue Pharma, which both created Oxycontin, and spend millions of dollars changing the medical industry's landscape, to operate on greed rather than an earnest attempt to treat illness. When American companies are allowed to essentially act as drug dealers wearing expensive suits, enjoying an air of respectability while being largely unaccountable to laws & morals, we end up with 70,000 dead Americans per year. It may be time to admit that our secular government's de facto religion is the worship of $$$.
    legalize it is the only way to get the illegal **** killing folks off the streets
    The more I get to know people the more I realize why Noah only let animals on the boat.

  7. #17
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:40 AM
    Gender
    Posts
    7,283

    Re: Our opioid crisis is not because of mexico - it's our fault

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau72 View Post
    As to your question regarding policy that might prevent youngsters from binge drinking and having pharm parties, one possible solution might be to somehow encourage adult approaches to alcohol use, as many European countries do. For example, making wine and/or other such beverages part of the culture at the dinner table. Demonstrating and encouraging moderation and adult attitudes.
    .
    In other words, programs like AA or Abstinence before marriage, that just say stay away, don't work.

    Agree.
    The more I get to know people the more I realize why Noah only let animals on the boat.

  8. #18
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:40 AM
    Gender
    Posts
    7,283

    Re: Our opioid crisis is not because of mexico - it's our fault

    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Sun View Post
    Agreed it's our own fault. It's just evolution in action. Our nation should legalize all drugs, regulate them like alcohol and tobacco then let nature take its course. Let the weak winnow themselves from the herd.
    OMG, it has nothing to do with letting the weak winnow themselves from the herd.

    Christ
    The more I get to know people the more I realize why Noah only let animals on the boat.

  9. #19
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    25,500

    Re: Our opioid crisis is not because of mexico - it's our fault

    Quote Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
    In other words, programs like AA or Abstinence before marriage, that just say stay away, don't work.

    Agree.
    No, responsible and social use of alcohol is not like abstinence before marriage. Nor is it like AA. The former is religious nonsense for the most part, and the latter has religious flavoring, but is intended for those with addictive personalities who could never manage responsible alcohol consumption.

    Those are your words, not mine.

  10. #20
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:40 AM
    Gender
    Posts
    7,283

    Re: Our opioid crisis is not because of mexico - it's our fault

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau72 View Post
    No, responsible and social use of alcohol is not like abstinence before marriage. Nor is it like AA. The former is religious nonsense for the most part, and the latter has religious flavoring, but is intended for those with addictive personalities who could never manage responsible alcohol consumption.

    Those are your words, not mine.
    So you think AA and abstinence before marriage works. Clue, you are wrong, they don't.
    The more I get to know people the more I realize why Noah only let animals on the boat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •