Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Interesting article on MJ legalization, William Randolph Hearst & the DuPonts

  1. #1
    Sage

    JacksinPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,378

    Interesting article on MJ legalization, William Randolph Hearst & the DuPonts

    Meet the Man Responsible for Marijuana Prohibition - MassRoots

    Interesting reading of the back story that made pot illegal.
    “If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”
    ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

  2. #2
    Generalissimo Pissant
    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Interesting article on MJ legalization, William Randolph Hearst & the DuPonts

    Quote Originally Posted by JacksinPA View Post
    Meet the Man Responsible for Marijuana Prohibition - MassRoots

    Interesting reading of the back story that made pot illegal.
    William Randolph Hearst's illegitimate great grandson is a world famous surfer, skateboarder, artist and world class weed smoker.

    202715_247669552074523_1006090633_o.jpg

    An old buddy of mine.

    1781623_246069008901244_1087917231_n.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckiechan View Post
    Exactly who do you think you are, Generalissimo? Enough of your holier than thou. I get my preaching in church. Maybe they'll name a cocktail after you and you'll be famous.

  3. #3
    Sage
    JasperL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,843

    Re: Interesting article on MJ legalization, William Randolph Hearst & the DuPonts

    Quote Originally Posted by JacksinPA View Post
    Meet the Man Responsible for Marijuana Prohibition - MassRoots

    Interesting reading of the back story that made pot illegal.
    I've read much of that history before, and it's shameful. What's sad is we've known better for decades at least, and it's still illegal at the federal level. So in some ways I'm not sure what's worse - the fact that a few corrupt plutocrats in the early 20th century misled Congress and the public to criminalize a drug far less harmful than alcohol, or that we've known the total corrupt nonsense behind pot criminalization for decades and still haven't reversed that decision in 2019.

    The decision to decriminalize pot and treat it like cigarettes or alcohol seems like such a no-brainer that the only rational reason I can come up with about why we haven't done it yet is there is still a group of very powerful but corrupt interests who will be financially harmed by doing it, and Congress is listening to them versus the evidence. Maybe it's the pharmaceuticals, or timber, or plastics, or the prison industry or all the above and others. What seems obvious is a bunch of powerful interests have a HUGE financial stake in pot remaining illegal.

  4. #4
    Generalissimo Pissant
    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Interesting article on MJ legalization, William Randolph Hearst & the DuPonts

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I've read much of that history before, and it's shameful. What's sad is we've known better for decades at least, and it's still illegal at the federal level. So in some ways I'm not sure what's worse - the fact that a few corrupt plutocrats in the early 20th century misled Congress and the public to criminalize a drug far less harmful than alcohol, or that we've known the total corrupt nonsense behind pot criminalization for decades and still haven't reversed that decision in 2019.

    The decision to decriminalize pot and treat it like cigarettes or alcohol seems like such a no-brainer that the only rational reason I can come up with about why we haven't done it yet is there is still a group of very powerful but corrupt interests who will be financially harmed by doing it, and Congress is listening to them versus the evidence. Maybe it's the pharmaceuticals, or timber, or plastics, or the prison industry or all the above and others. What seems obvious is a bunch of powerful interests have a HUGE financial stake in pot remaining illegal.
    Federal legalization is a heavy blow to a massive DEA and private prison infrastructure, both of which are aimed solely as revenue generators for their hosts. Pot raids and other marijuana based DEA operations employ tens of thousands of agents. Private prisons rely on marijuana convictions to fill beds.

    There's your powerful interests, the two largest ones. The timber industry and pharmaceutical industry are large players as well but they're dwarfed by the top two, who enjoy a guaranteed steady stream from taxpayer pocketbooks.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckiechan View Post
    Exactly who do you think you are, Generalissimo? Enough of your holier than thou. I get my preaching in church. Maybe they'll name a cocktail after you and you'll be famous.

  5. #5
    Sage

    JacksinPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,378

    Re: Interesting article on MJ legalization, William Randolph Hearst & the DuPonts

    Based on a recent post of mine, legalization of pot will negatively impact beer & liquor sales. They have powerful lobbies.
    “If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”
    ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •