Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Alabama approves chemical castration

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,810

    Re: Alabama approves chemical castration

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Valley View Post
    Alabama approves chemical castration for some sex offenders

    The use of chemical castration is internationally controversial, and critics say forced chemical castration violates human rights.


    Alabama State Capitol.



    A handful of states permit either voluntary surgical castration, or voluntary chemical castration (Depo Provera) as a condition of early prison release/parole respectively.

    The efficacy of chemical castration is questionable, and recidivism is not unknown.

    Critics charge that chemical castration violates sex offenders' constitutional rights. The ACLU contends that chemical castration violates an offender's implied right to privacy under the Fourteenth Amendment, rights of due process and equal protection, and the Eighth Amendment's ban of cruel and unusual punishment.

    Related: Alabama governor signs chemical castration bill into law
    I'm ok with it except if they think he has a real chance of reoffending he should not be getting out in the first place.

    This crime is right up there with murder

  2. #12
    Professor
    gulfman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,251

    Re: Alabama approves chemical castration

    Alabama wants to make sure that the South doesn't rise again.

  3. #13
    Believer
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,729

    Re: Alabama approves chemical castration

    Quote Originally Posted by OlNate View Post
    What does your constitution say?

    Legit asking, I don't know...but I'm pretty sure that's where your rights are laid out...?
    Committing a crime of that magnitude should dissolve your right to privacy. IMPO
    "Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity. Be fools for Christ. And have the courage to suffer the contempt of the sophisticated world." - Antonin Scalia

  4. #14
    Sage
    OlNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,514

    Re: Alabama approves chemical castration

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Committing a crime of that magnitude should dissolve your right to privacy. IMPO
    I might agree...but what does your constitution say?
    Life's too short...

  5. #15
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    24,902
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Alabama approves chemical castration

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Valley View Post
    Alabama approves chemical castration for some sex offenders

    The use of chemical castration is internationally controversial, and critics say forced chemical castration violates human rights.


    Alabama State Capitol.



    A handful of states permit either voluntary surgical castration, or voluntary chemical castration (Depo Provera) as a condition of early prison release/parole respectively.

    The efficacy of chemical castration is questionable, and recidivism is not unknown.

    Critics charge that chemical castration violates sex offenders' constitutional rights. The ACLU contends that chemical castration violates an offender's implied right to privacy under the Fourteenth Amendment, rights of due process and equal protection, and the Eighth Amendment's ban of cruel and unusual punishment.

    Related: Alabama governor signs chemical castration bill into law
    The triumph of the right- more and more muscular government. From the report...

    "The law requires individuals convicted of such an offense to continue treatments until a court deems the treatment is no longer necessary. It says offenders must pay for the treatment, and they can't be denied parole solely based on an inability to pay."

    I wonder what the , uh, demographic and economic spread of the denutted offenders will be. I wonder how this law might affect charges and verdicts in certain demographics.
    Can amputation for theft be far behind? Onward Christian sharia!
    The eye through which you see God is the same eye through which God sees you.
    -Jalal al-din Rumi-

  6. #16
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,923

    Re: Alabama approves chemical castration

    Quote Originally Posted by OlNate View Post
    What does your constitution say?

    Legit asking, I don't know...but I'm pretty sure that's where your rights are laid out...?
    You are thinking cruel and unusual punishment.
    What is cruel? Rape of women, children, heck even men? Many, if not most, victims of these crimes don't recover from it. They have to live with emotional and physical scars for the rest of their lives. So what is cruel?
    Why would the rights of the offender be more important than the prevention of further crimes? afaic, this goes far beyond punishment, but stopping those who can't stop themselves.
    Let go and let God


  7. #17
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,923

    Re: Alabama approves chemical castration

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanngrisnir View Post
    Somewhere Roy Moore is soiling himself.
    Rape victims are peeing their pants because they think your joke is funny.
    Let go and let God


  8. #18
    Sage
    OlNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,514

    Re: Alabama approves chemical castration

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    You are thinking cruel and unusual punishment.
    What is cruel? Rape of women, children, heck even men? Many, if not most, victims of these crimes don't recover from it. They have to live with emotional and physical scars for the rest of their lives. So what is cruel?
    Why would the rights of the offender be more important than the prevention of further crimes? afaic, this goes far beyond punishment, but stopping those who can't stop themselves.
    Well, if that's how it's determined, why stop there? I agree with you, the damage they do is incredible. If they truly warrant abandoning your guiding principals around cruel and unusual punishment, I say why stop there? Why not flay them alive? Why not subject them to the entire prison running a train on them, THEN flay them alive?

    Of course, I'm being extreme, to illustrate the point that when you allow the behavior of the criminal to change your national morality on the treatment of criminals, where and how do you draw the line? Of course this is an emotional topic, which is why I bring up your constitution. These documents are important because they provide sound guidance when emotion makes wisdom difficult. If this is constitutionally allowable, that's one thing. If not, well...that's another.
    Life's too short...

  9. #19
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Near Atlanta Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,201

    Re: Alabama approves chemical castration

    Quote Originally Posted by OlNate View Post
    WT actual F is going on in Alabama these days?? Does this not constitute cruel and unusual punishment?

    Sorry, I don't usually show up for sex offenders, but where are the slippery slope folks on this one? Chemical castration?? Dang!
    so what would you prefer

    we lock them up and throw away the key?

    because if i have my way....that is the only other alternative....i dont want to let them out to possibly harm someone else again
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  10. #20
    Sage
    OlNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,514

    Re: Alabama approves chemical castration

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    so what would you prefer

    we lock them up and throw away the key?

    because if i have my way....that is the only other alternative....i dont want to let them out to possibly harm someone else again

    Yes, I'd be in favor of that for repeat offenders.
    Life's too short...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •