Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 120

Thread: AOC is the Houdini of the current political Left.

  1. #1
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Last Seen
    03-16-19 @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    628
    Blog Entries
    1

    AOC is the Houdini of the current political Left.

    AOC is the Houdini of the Left. She like Harry Houdini, the master escape artist and illusionist, is hoodwinking the public. Houdini was an entertainer. Houdini performed tricks that the public didn't know the secret to how they worked. Houdini believed he could contact his mother through the work of mediums.
    AOC is a media darling, because she is controversial the tv networks love to show her off, good for ratings. AOC is basically performing tricks but the public doesn't understand the results of some of her plans and frankly neither does AOC. She presents a set of goals in her New Deal that she has no plan of how to take them to a realistic end. I see clips of her she is saying something that sounds good for a few minutes but then you realize there is no plan on how to do that. Answers like "we just pay for them", "raise taxes on the rich", can that really work in our economic world? She advocates socialism but doesn't seem to understand it never works, has never worked. She doesn't sit down and debate issues with anyone she just gives her liberal set of ideas. She attacks every person who doesn't jump on board with her crazy ideas.

    She might as well say, "i want to be a millionaire but I don't have a plan on how to get there".

  2. #2
    "I want MY WALL!"
    <alt>doxygen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Floriduh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    8,089

    Re: AOC is the Houdini of the current political Left.

    Quote Originally Posted by Integrityrespec View Post
    AOC is the Houdini of the Left. She like Harry Houdini, the master escape artist and illusionist, is hoodwinking the public. Houdini was an entertainer. Houdini performed tricks that the public didn't know the secret to how they worked. Houdini believed he could contact his mother through the work of mediums.
    AOC is a media darling, because she is controversial the tv networks love to show her off, good for ratings. AOC is basically performing tricks but the public doesn't understand the results of some of her plans and frankly neither does AOC. She presents a set of goals in her New Deal that she has no plan of how to take them to a realistic end. I see clips of her she is saying something that sounds good for a few minutes but then you realize there is no plan on how to do that. Answers like "we just pay for them", "raise taxes on the rich", can that really work in our economic world? She advocates socialism but doesn't seem to understand it never works, has never worked. She doesn't sit down and debate issues with anyone she just gives her liberal set of ideas. She attacks every person who doesn't jump on board with her crazy ideas.

    She might as well say, "i want to be a millionaire but I don't have a plan on how to get there".
    You describe Trump, circa 2015/2016.
    Maybe they like Trump because they're like Trump.

  3. #3
    Guru
    Keridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,753

    Re: AOC is the Houdini of the current political Left.

    Quote Originally Posted by Integrityrespec View Post
    AOC is the Houdini of the Left. She like Harry Houdini, the master escape artist and illusionist, is hoodwinking the public. Houdini was an entertainer. Houdini performed tricks that the public didn't know the secret to how they worked. Houdini believed he could contact his mother through the work of mediums.
    AOC is a media darling, because she is controversial the tv networks love to show her off, good for ratings. AOC is basically performing tricks but the public doesn't understand the results of some of her plans and frankly neither does AOC. She presents a set of goals in her New Deal that she has no plan of how to take them to a realistic end. I see clips of her she is saying something that sounds good for a few minutes but then you realize there is no plan on how to do that. Answers like "we just pay for them", "raise taxes on the rich", can that really work in our economic world? She advocates socialism but doesn't seem to understand it never works, has never worked. She doesn't sit down and debate issues with anyone she just gives her liberal set of ideas. She attacks every person who doesn't jump on board with her crazy ideas.

    She might as well say, "i want to be a millionaire but I don't have a plan on how to get there".
    I can't really agree with this. She is pulling a bit of an illusion, but she's not fooling the whole audience. For the most part, she is just offering free stuff and pretending the price tag will never come up. Houdini was a master who had whole theaters gasping in astonishment.

    She is actually more transparent than most, imo. She isn't lying about what she wants or taking steps to get there so you don't see the end goal. She's just laying out her plan and screw you if you don't like it. I can respect that. I don't agree with a single policy of hers, but I like her. And selfishly, I want her to be the media darling to help people see what bare democratic socialism is shooting for.

    Quote Originally Posted by <alt>doxygen View Post
    You describe Trump, circa 2015/2016.
    Nice whataboutism. Way to address the topic.
    Omniscience just sucks without omnipotence!


    Support Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez!

  4. #4
    Sage
    JasperL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,605

    Re: AOC is the Houdini of the current political Left.

    Quote Originally Posted by Integrityrespec View Post
    AOC is the Houdini of the Left. She like Harry Houdini, the master escape artist and illusionist, is hoodwinking the public. Houdini was an entertainer. Houdini performed tricks that the public didn't know the secret to how they worked. Houdini believed he could contact his mother through the work of mediums.
    AOC is a media darling, because she is controversial the tv networks love to show her off, good for ratings. AOC is basically performing tricks but the public doesn't understand the results of some of her plans and frankly neither does AOC. She presents a set of goals in her New Deal that she has no plan of how to take them to a realistic end. I see clips of her she is saying something that sounds good for a few minutes but then you realize there is no plan on how to do that. Answers like "we just pay for them", "raise taxes on the rich", can that really work in our economic world? She advocates socialism but doesn't seem to understand it never works, has never worked. She doesn't sit down and debate issues with anyone she just gives her liberal set of ideas. She attacks every person who doesn't jump on board with her crazy ideas.

    She might as well say, "i want to be a millionaire but I don't have a plan on how to get there".
    Good to see we got our anti-AOC thread-o-the-day posted. I was hoping for this before noon, but you were a little slow. Try to do better tomorrow so we can post all about the new anti-AOC outrage during lunch hour.

  5. #5
    Respected on both sides

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,717

    Re: AOC is the Houdini of the current political Left.

    There really needs to be an AOC subforum. This is getting as bad as the Martin/Zimmerman era, a notably stupid period in DP history.

  6. #6
    "I want MY WALL!"
    <alt>doxygen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Floriduh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    8,089

    Re: AOC is the Houdini of the current political Left.

    Quote Originally Posted by Keridan View Post
    I can't really agree with this. She is pulling a bit of an illusion, but she's not fooling the whole audience. For the most part, she is just offering free stuff and pretending the price tag will never come up. Houdini was a master who had whole theaters gasping in astonishment.

    She is actually more transparent than most, imo. She isn't lying about what she wants or taking steps to get there so you don't see the end goal. She's just laying out her plan and screw you if you don't like it. I can respect that. I don't agree with a single policy of hers, but I like her. And selfishly, I want her to be the media darling to help people see what bare democratic socialism is shooting for.



    Nice whataboutism. Way to address the topic.
    I provided all the response that was called for.

    AOC and Trump both appeal to empty minded people that fail to think things through. "sounds good" is all they ask for.

    The difference is that AOC may grow up ; Trump obviously can't, but given his cult, he doesn't need to. I'm not sure if the AOC cult will act that way.
    Maybe they like Trump because they're like Trump.

  7. #7
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    47,852

    Re: AOC is the Houdini of the current political Left.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    There really needs to be an AOC subforum. This is getting as bad as the Martin/Zimmerman era, a notably stupid period in DP history.
    I got here for the tail end of that. Oh, that was festive.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  8. #8
    Guru
    ElChupacabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    The Garden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,057

    Re: AOC is the Houdini of the current political Left.

    Right now I see AOC as an idealist full of grand ideas to make things better, but where her maturity as a politician will develop (or not) is being able to pull the strings to bring her ideas to life. This of course will require a great deal of compromise on her lofty goals. I don't knock idealists initially, but if they only deliver ideas and aren't rolling up there sleeves to get the hard work done, then I lose patience. I like the idea of her Green New Deal, but what that actually manifests into is more interesting; I see it as a way of driving that conversation forward.

  9. #9
    Heading North
    Roadvirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,418

    Re: AOC is the Houdini of the current political Left.

    Is it really necessary to insult Harry Houdini?

  10. #10
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    12,810

    Re: AOC is the Houdini of the current political Left.

    Another day, another AOC thread (or ten or twenty). And the far-right complain about TDS...
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •