Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: Dissecting the presidents speech

  1. #11
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,991

    Re: Dissecting the presidents speech

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    wouldn't anything more than a thousand constitute thousands?
    I think generally thousands implies 2,000+. But again, I really don't mind Trump using it compared to the hyperbole politicians usually use.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  2. #12
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    13,156
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dissecting the presidents speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Since when is a thousand considered "hundreds" and not included in the category of "thousands"? You're getting hung up on one letter, ya know that right?
    Since when is a thousand considered "thousands"? It's not my problem that the english language only uses one letter to differentiate thousands and a thousand lol. Not sure why you think that has anything to do with what's correct. The guy gave the exact number and said that hundreds would be more accurate than thousands. Which is empirically true.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  3. #13
    I don't respect you.
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    I love your hate.
    Last Seen
    03-11-19 @ 07:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    79,877

    Re: Dissecting the presidents speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    I think generally thousands implies 2,000+. But again, I really don't mind Trump using it compared to the hyperbole politicians usually use.



    indeed, and would the media ever hold obama to the "Truth standard" they hold trump over on his healthcare? I think not.
    You should try to remember, ideas are conveyed by researching information, vetting sources, and confirming said information. Not by regurgitating talking points given to you by your "news" station.
    Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, but hate me all the more.

  4. #14
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,991

    Re: Dissecting the presidents speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Since when is a thousand considered "hundreds" and not included in the category of "thousands"? You're getting hung up on one letter, ya know that right?
    One letter that generally implies at least multiple thousands. I think using "thousands" to mean a little over 1,000 is both grammatically wrong and would go against what most people would presume when you say thousands.

    But I'm not really hung up on it, I don't think. I don't care. I just think WaPo is technically correct, and Trump's usage is technically wrong. But it's not a big deal.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  5. #15
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    13,156
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dissecting the presidents speech

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Disagree the rejected asylum seekers who are now stuck with no way home would also disagree.
    There have always been rejected asylum seekers. Why do you think they'd disagree with me and why would that make them correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  6. #16
    I don't respect you.
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    I love your hate.
    Last Seen
    03-11-19 @ 07:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    79,877

    Re: Dissecting the presidents speech

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    There have always been rejected asylum seekers. Why do you think they'd disagree with me and why would that make them correct?




    Has there ever been a paid for by american liberals backed by soros caravan that once they made it to the border, dumped like the democrats dumped the kavanaugh girls?
    You should try to remember, ideas are conveyed by researching information, vetting sources, and confirming said information. Not by regurgitating talking points given to you by your "news" station.
    Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, but hate me all the more.

  7. #17
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    13,156
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dissecting the presidents speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    One letter that generally implies at least multiple thousands. I think using "thousands" to mean a little over 1,000 is both grammatically wrong and would go against what most people would presume when you say thousands.

    But I'm not really hung up on it, I don't think. I don't care. I just think WaPo is technically correct, and Trump's usage is technically wrong. But it's not a big deal.
    Agreed. If you are fact checking something then it's something I would point out. I think a fair minded person does not think that 1100 is "thousands". Hundreds would simply be more accurate if you aren't going to give the exact number.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  8. #18
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,991

    Re: Dissecting the presidents speech

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    indeed, and would the media ever hold obama to the "Truth standard" they hold trump over on his healthcare? I think not.
    Not really relevant so far as I can see. I wasn't claiming anything about Obama, the news media, or the ACA, none of which I particularly like.

    But on the one little issue of whether thousands is technically right or not, I don't think it was technically right for Trump's usage.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  9. #19
    I don't respect you.
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    I love your hate.
    Last Seen
    03-11-19 @ 07:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    79,877

    Re: Dissecting the presidents speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    Not really relevant so far as I can see. I wasn't claiming anything about Obama, the news media, or the ACA, none of which I particularly like.

    But on the one little issue of whether thousands is technically right or not, I don't think it was technically right for Trump's usage.



    NO I know that. but for example we heard all sorts of excuses why "you will save 2500" was not a lie. I was using that as the bar to determine if "thousands" was a lie given it was 1700
    You should try to remember, ideas are conveyed by researching information, vetting sources, and confirming said information. Not by regurgitating talking points given to you by your "news" station.
    Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, but hate me all the more.

  10. #20
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    13,156
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dissecting the presidents speech

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Has there ever been a paid for by american liberals backed by soros caravan that once they made it to the border, dumped like the democrats dumped the kavanaugh girls?
    I agree. That's never happened. Are you under the impression that it has?

    Not even sure why you'd bring it up nor what it has (even remotely) to do with what we are discussing. There's an entire section devoted to conspiracy theories if interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •