Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 144

Thread: The latest left wing newspeak meme

  1. #91
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    28,013

    Re: The latest left wing newspeak meme

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Mycroft complaining about whataboutism by engaging in whataboutism. It must be a compulsive disorder.
    I'm not complaining. I'm encouraging.

    LOL!!
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  2. #92
    Guru OlNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,530

    Re: The latest left wing newspeak meme

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    I think you miss my point. I don't feel it's a black or white thing, There is deflection examples, "but what about bush" etc, or whatnot to me is different than "how can you hold the opinion that person "A" did wrong when you felt that person "B" who also did the same or more or lesser thing did not do wrong.


    That to me is a valid question.
    Ok, fine, I can give you that, but I've been pulled into that trap here enough times:

    "Ya, sure, but you're good with Bill Clinton being a pervert".

    "No, I'm not'.

    "Ya right, all you lefties are the same, hypocrites".

    "No, seriously, I'm not good with Clinton's behavior"

    "Well where was your outrage when it went down then?"

    "I wasn't a DP member. Can we get back to the topic?"

    "Oh sure, you wanna talk about Trump, but not Clinton. Guess it's ok when a Dem does it".

    "FFS!" ... and then I usually say something that earns me DP demerit points...hehe

    You can see, after having that exact same exchange countless times here, why I tend to look at it rather suspiciously.
    Life's too short...

  3. #93
    I find you a bore.
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Don't want some, Don't start none. ;)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    79,111

    Re: The latest left wing newspeak meme

    Quote Originally Posted by OlNate View Post
    Ok, fine, I can give you that, but I've been pulled into that trap here enough times:

    "Ya, sure, but you're good with Bill Clinton being a pervert".

    "No, I'm not'.

    "Ya right, all you lefties are the same, hypocrites".

    "No, seriously, I'm not good with Clinton's behavior"

    "Well where was your outrage when it went down then?"

    "I wasn't a DP member. Can we get back to the topic?"

    "Oh sure, you wanna talk about Trump, but not Clinton. Guess it's ok when a Dem does it".

    "FFS!" ... and then I usually say something that earns me DP demerit points...hehe

    You can see, after having that exact same exchange countless times here, why I tend to look at it rather suspiciously.



    This isn't whataboutism but a classic strawman.
    You should try to remember, ideas are conveyed by researching information, vetting sources, and confirming said information. Not by regurgitating talking points given to you by your "news" station.
    Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, but hate me all the more.

  4. #94
    Guru OlNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,530

    Re: The latest left wing newspeak meme

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    This isn't whataboutism but a classic strawman.
    Ok, fair nuff...I can handle the difference in opinion on terminology, so long as we both agree it's ****ty debate behavior that should be called out by both sides when either side does it, as it is an effective, if tired, method of derailing a thread, done to take the pressure off the side of the issue one wishes to defend, when that side is indefensible, either due to the fact that it is indefensible, or the person trying to defend it is ill equipped to do so.
    Life's too short...

  5. #95
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,376

    Re: The latest left wing newspeak meme

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    19 women said Trump assaulted or harassed them.
    Got evidence?

    Or are all these October surprise sprung allegations in the vein of the Russian Delusion/Projection; political shennanigans and fake news?
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  6. #96
    Guru
    MrWonka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,928

    Re: The latest left wing newspeak meme

    Quote Originally Posted by it's just me View Post
    You can rest assured that the next time they are on the hook for anything they will be saying "what about Trump?"
    I think you have this all backward. You see your side keeps trying to claim that Hillary Clinton probably did n. What we point out is the fact that Trump is definitely guilty of n * 10. We're also pointing out that Hillary Clinton is not now nor has she ever been the President, and she's almost certainly never running again.

    You see the Republican party keeps taking cheaper and cheaper shots. Lowering the bar for decency until nothing is sacred and all is fair. Then when Democrats have no choice, but to fight with the same tactics you try and claim we're going it while ignoring the reality that you started it.

    It's like pulling a gun on someone and starting to shoot. You force the other person to pull their gun and start shooting as well. Now that you've started the shooting we have no choice, but to keep returning fire until you stop shooting and put down your gun, or we kill you. Given that most Republicans are elderly, and most Democrats are much younger we're going to outlast you and win eventually. The question is how long will you make this pointless fight last.

  7. #97
    Sage
    holbritter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,819

    Re: The latest left wing newspeak meme

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The right wing has very few arrows in their quiver to defend Trump with and so they are loath to give up this one that they have glommed onto like grim death.

    Sorry Trump apologists - whataboutism is NOT an intellectual argument because at its core is the basic idea of two wrongs do not make a right. Pointing out that a previous democrat did something that might be passing similar years ago is NOT an argument for defending the current actions of Trump.
    No, but it is good for pointing out hypocrisy.
    ~Words that can't be understood are useless~

    ~The best things in life aren't things~

  8. #98
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    92,917

    Re: The latest left wing newspeak meme

    Quote Originally Posted by holbritter View Post
    No, but it is good for pointing out hypocrisy.
    no - its just right wing whataboutism that has no substance or point to it other than to pretend that all the crap Trump does is okay because somebody else used the toilet previously.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #99
    Heavy Hitter



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    68,225

    Re: The latest left wing newspeak meme

    Quote Originally Posted by it's just me View Post
    It's called "whataboutism". If you point out their hypocrisy in ignoring the crimes of their own party as they complain about the other guys, you'll hear "but, but whataboutism" as if nothing their guys did ever mattered.

    Don't fall for it, it's just another way to stifle free speech and debate. You can be rest assured that the next time they are on the hook for anything they will be saying "what about Trump?" and won't even acknowledge that they ever started the "whataboutism" thing.
    "Lock her up!"

    Biggest whataboutists on earth are Right Wing hypocrites.

  10. #100
    Sage
    holbritter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,819

    Re: The latest left wing newspeak meme

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no - its just right wing whataboutism that has no substance or point to it other than to pretend that all the crap Trump does is okay because somebody else used the toilet previously.
    Okay, whatever you say. You know everything
    ~Words that can't be understood are useless~

    ~The best things in life aren't things~

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •