Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 242

Thread: GOP poised to win the PR war

  1. #11
    Sage
    holbritter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: GOP poised to win the PR war

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I think the Dems blew it. They did their Chicken Little routine on the tax bill but they lost the message. The GOP has branded this bill as a "tax cut for the middle class" and on the end of the day, more than 80 percent of Americans will see a tax cut their first year. Yeah, some future Congress may allow the individual rates to go up, but it is unlikely. So the Dems who successfully allied with the national media to create the impression that this was only a tax cut for the wealthy may have done a disservice to themselves in the long run. Granted that the wealthy will enjoy six times the benefits as the rest of us combined, but that doesn't make as compelling a soundbyte as "Armageddon!"

    The message could have been on debt, high interest rates, rising inflation, and low wages. Once consumer confidence peaks, reality will likely set in, and the true cost of this bill will not be measured by how much of your paycheck you get to keep, but if your paycheck remains the same wage, buys less than it did before, and is split in more ways to pay down debts. The GOP knows nothing is free, and they are betting that average Americans will forget it and reward them for generously undermining their future to finance a measly middle class tax cut and a massive wealthy tax cut. Let's see how it plays out. My money is on the GOP.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/19/here...ur-wallet.html

    I did this interactive thing and even in 2025 I will end up paying less in Federal taxes.

  2. #12
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    40,683

    Re: GOP poised to win the PR war

    Quote Originally Posted by beancounter View Post
    Debt will increase because revenue will decrease. So for example, let's say program A cost $10 to operate. If your tax revenues were $10 before the tax cut, you could pay for it without any issues. But now, with the cut, tax revenues will only be $6, so in order to maintain program A, you will have to borrow $4.

    As an alternative to borrowing, the GOP will likely slash and burn such programs to balance the budget.
    Your basic idea is sound but let's make the example more real:

    So for example, let's say program A cost $10 to operate. If your tax revenues were $9.50 before the tax cut, you could pay for it without any objection to borrowing issues. But now, with the cut, tax revenues will only be $9.25, so in order to maintain program A, you will have to borrow $0.25 more and that is said to be the straw that will break the camel's back.

    If program A is meant to pay folks that do not earn enough to support themselves and their dependents (aka the "safety net") then any increase in employment opportunity or wages should reduce those in need of program A. That is what the republicants are counting on - whether that pans out or not will dictate their political future.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #13
    Sage
    chuckiechan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    California Caliphate
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,761

    Re: GOP poised to win the PR war

    Quote Originally Posted by GDViking View Post
    Really because trump promised he would be a big loser from this tax plan and that the wealthy would not benefit.

    You were conned.
    OK, so he won’t get your 2020 vote? #Sad!
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence everywhere but here
    Trump is here because we made an existential bad bargain with China
    1975 was the last time the US had a positive trade balance.
    American students want to be "happy". Chinese students want to rule the world.

  4. #14
    Sage
    chuckiechan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    California Caliphate
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,761

    Re: GOP poised to win the PR war

    Quote Originally Posted by <alt>doxygen View Post
    And the debt will rise.

    People do love "free stuff".

    This is the Repub Santa, with 1.5 trillion in presents in his bag. The Repub Grinch will be along in a year or 2 trying to pay for it by stealing from SS and Medicare.

    America is pretty myopic.
    Higher employment will solve a lot of problems.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence everywhere but here
    Trump is here because we made an existential bad bargain with China
    1975 was the last time the US had a positive trade balance.
    American students want to be "happy". Chinese students want to rule the world.

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    26,264

    Re: GOP poised to win the PR war

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    How will the debt rise?
    Debt is driven by spending.
    LOL Spending is a given, revenue is determined by tax rates passed by Congress. The difference is what causes debt.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    - Voltaire

  6. #16
    Not Your Tribesman
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    13,913

    Re: GOP poised to win the PR war

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    LOL Spending is a given, revenue is determined by tax rates passed by Congress. The difference is what causes debt.
    No it ****ing isn't, it can be cut.
    "It doesn't matter if you're on the right side of things if you say those things like an asshole." - Philip Defranco

  7. #17
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,180

    Re: GOP poised to win the PR war

    Quote Originally Posted by <alt>doxygen View Post
    And the debt will rise.

    People do love "free stuff".

    This is the Repub Santa, with 1.5 trillion in presents in his bag. The Repub Grinch will be along in a year or 2 trying to pay for it by stealing from SS and Medicare.

    America is pretty myopic.
    Obama had an approx 650 billion deficit in his last year as president

    Did either side come after medicare or social security?

    no....Why not?

    Now....why do you think this will be any different?
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  8. #18
    Well, okay...
    <alt>doxygen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Floriduh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,453

    Re: GOP poised to win the PR war

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    How will the debt rise?
    Debt is driven by spending.
    Hint: There's a reason that the price tag for these cuts is (usual estimate) 1.5 trillion.
    Fear not : Today is always a Mulligan; tomorrow is always a do-over!

  9. #19
    Well, okay...
    <alt>doxygen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Floriduh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,453

    Re: GOP poised to win the PR war

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    Obama had an approx 650 billion deficit in his last year as president

    Did either side come after medicare or social security?

    no....Why not?

    Now....why do you think this will be any different?
    https://www.fa-mag.com/news/rubio--o...its-35928.html
    "The only way you are going to deal with the debt is you have to do two things. ... You have got to generate economic growth because growth generates revenue. But you also have to bring spending under control. And not discretionary spending. That isn’t the driver of our debt," Rubio said.

    "The driver of our debt is the structure of Social Security and Medicare for future beneficiaries. We still have time, not just to save those programs, but to responsibly structure them in a way that doesn’t impact current retirees or people about to retire. But it would probably impact it for me and people younger than, in ways that quite frankly you wouldn’t really notice and you wouldn’t really object to because it’s reasonable."
    One of my senators let the cat out of the bag.
    Fear not : Today is always a Mulligan; tomorrow is always a do-over!

  10. #20
    Well, okay...
    <alt>doxygen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Floriduh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,453

    Re: GOP poised to win the PR war

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckiechan View Post
    Higher employment will solve a lot of problems.
    Sure. If it happens. And if the jobs are good enough to increase the tax base such that it offsets to the tune of 1.5 trillion. Good luck with that.

    Until then, this is another round of "borrow and spend", which is GOP SOP. At least they haven't started any more wars, yet.
    Fear not : Today is always a Mulligan; tomorrow is always a do-over!

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •