Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 325

Thread: Majority of republicans say colleges are bad for america (yes, really)

  1. #291
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,254

    Re: Majority of republicans say colleges are bad for america (yes, really)

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    "prove your point"....The point...one in many...is that just attending college is not necessarily a good thing. A fact YOU make clear with your '**** em...it was their choice' comments. And that doesnt even begin to touch the social justice bull**** and the institutions contribution to creating a bunch of crippled and dependent pets that melt down over hurt feelings.
    You move the goal posts...you do that a lot. I'd say the families have a lot more to do with any 'crippled and dependent' graduates melting down...

    just attending anything doesn't guarantee anything...what world do you think ever existed that made that a truth????

    You make your own bed and I doubt in our lifetime more than 50% of the graduates work in the field they earned their major in. These days most corporations just want a degree, type matters not. The Military for 99% of the officers and senior NCOs just want a degree- doesn't matter what in. Big Box retail just wants a degree... you get the idea???

    If you are ignorant in how you PAY FOR IT, then you are most likely ignorant in credit, car/house/insurance purchases.

    I know the rabid right loves to attack 'the elite' which now dribbles down to 4 year degrees, but fact is so few grad students mow lawns compared to the TOTAL which pay for their lawns mowed, in some rather nice neighborhoods....

  2. #292
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    65,631

    Re: Majority of republicans say colleges are bad for america (yes, really)

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBY View Post
    She did win the prediction that she would win the election: she did. What she did not win was the states' vote, which is why eventually the electoral college will be amended.
    Yep, just like a typical liberal who has no problem with the state of California, a state where Illegals are protected, are allowed to have a valid driver's license, to elect our President of the United States. The Electoral College will NOT be amended as the only states that would ever see a candidate would be the big ones. Our Founders got it right, did you take civics?

  3. #293
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,419

    Re: Majority of republicans say colleges are bad for america (yes, really)

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    You move the goal posts...you do that a lot. I'd say the families have a lot more to do with any 'crippled and dependent' graduates melting down...

    just attending anything doesn't guarantee anything...what world do you think ever existed that made that a truth????

    You make your own bed and I doubt in our lifetime more than 50% of the graduates work in the field they earned their major in. These days most corporations just want a degree, type matters not. The Military for 99% of the officers and senior NCOs just want a degree- doesn't matter what in. Big Box retail just wants a degree... you get the idea???

    If you are ignorant in how you PAY FOR IT, then you are most likely ignorant in credit, car/house/insurance purchases.

    I know the rabid right loves to attack 'the elite' which now dribbles down to 4 year degrees, but fact is so few grad students mow lawns compared to the TOTAL which pay for their lawns mowed, in some rather nice neighborhoods....
    20017876_10159036864570494_4194176470150200533_o.jpg

    Bull****. I didnt move goalposts.

    "Its not a question of whether or not education is good for America or whether College is a good thing. Of course it is a good thing. But is running up 100k in debt on a degree you cant use really a good thing? Is spending your college years engaging in forced indoctrination a good thing? Colleges should exist to prepare people for the workforce...not as institutions to create a bunch of mindless social justice warriors. College used to be an opportunity to learn to grow, maybe even become an adult. FFS...today e have graduate students at ****ing Harvard that are having met downs over Halloween costumes. We have people literally ****ing melting down because someone expressed a difference of opinion.

    In many ways and many locations, college has become an unhealthy environment that causes more harm than does good. If you are one of those people working a minimum wage job because you cant find work in your degree field...then yes..college was a bad thing."

    My original comments. Is education bad? No...and you would be hard pressed to find anywhere that I stated it was. Are all colleges bad? Agan...not only would you be hard pressed to find me saying they were, in fact you would see that is the opposite of what I said. Are there major problems with college in the US? Hell yes. Are colleges often exploitative and do they do more harm than good? You bet.

  4. #294
    Professor JamesBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Now in the mountains.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,394

    Re: Majority of republicans say colleges are bad for america (yes, really)

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Yep, just like a typical liberal who has no problem with the state of California, a state where Illegals are protected, are allowed to have a valid driver's license, to elect our President of the United States. The Electoral College will NOT be amended as the only states that would ever see a candidate would be the big ones. Our Founders got it right, did you take civics?
    I am no more a liberal than you are a Republican. No evidence of significant voter fraud has occurred in thirty years. Peddle the nonsense elsewhere. Once the electoral college is amended, the citizens of the alt right will no longer have their power.

  5. #295
    Professor ataraxia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,493

    Re: Majority of republicans say colleges are bad for america (yes, really)

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    But is running up 100k in debt on a degree you cant use really a good thing?
    Yes. An educated mind is invaluable. The particular field is not as important as the mental training, discipline, and clear-headedness that is the result. Knowledge in all fields is under constant flux. The content is not as important as the mental discipline and critical thinking skills acquired in rigorously and formally trying to master a field. That is the real value of a college education.

    Is spending your college years engaging in forced indoctrination a good thing?
    Basic evolutionary biology, learning the the founding fathers of this country were not Bible thumping evangelicals, or learning the basic physics and chemistry behind global warming are not "forced indoctrination". It's just learning the facts so you don't think people who believe the world is only 6000 years old have an equally legitimate viewpoint which needs equal air time and lots of time debating.

    We have people literally ****ing melting down because someone expressed a difference of opinion.
    It's worth having a meltdown when more Americans believe in Bigfoot, UFO abductions, and a 6000 year old Earth than they do in basic evolutionary biology and climate science. It's outrageous. They need better education.

    "A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. "
    -James Madison
    Last edited by ataraxia; 07-17-17 at 09:52 AM.

  6. #296
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    65,631

    Re: Majority of republicans say colleges are bad for america (yes, really)

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBY View Post
    I am no more a liberal than you are a Republican. No evidence of significant voter fraud has occurred in thirty years. Peddle the nonsense elsewhere. Once the electoral college is amended, the citizens of the alt right will no longer have their power.
    You are so right, the state that allows for illegals to get a driver's licenses, supports and funds immigration law violations and manages their own elections certainly is going to report voter fraud to the American people? Do you think before you post?

    You talk about the alt facts and alt right. What is it about liberalism that creates this kind of passion and loyalty? You think BLS.gov, BEA.gov, and Treasury.org creates alt facts? you think the alt Right that believes in smaller central govt. is wrong? What does alt. Facts and alt. right mean?

  7. #297
    Professor JamesBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Now in the mountains.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,394

    Re: Majority of republicans say colleges are bad for america (yes, really)

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You are so right, the state that allows for illegals to get a driver's licenses, supports and funds immigration law violations and manages their own elections certainly is going to report voter fraud to the American people? Do you think before you post?

    You talk about the alt facts and alt right. What is it about liberalism that creates this kind of passion and loyalty? You think BLS.gov, BEA.gov, and Treasury.org creates alt facts? you think the alt Right that believes in smaller central govt. is wrong? What does alt. Facts and alt. right mean?
    You can be as rude as you want, and that makes you no less wrong. You have no evidence.

    Deflection will not save Trumpism or his agenda. The Alt Right wants a "smaller govt" because it is easier to control and thus take away citizens' freedoms.

  8. #298
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,419

    Re: Majority of republicans say colleges are bad for america (yes, really)

    Quote Originally Posted by ataraxia View Post
    Yes. An educated mind is invaluable. The particular field is not as important as the mental training, discipline, and clear-headedness that is the result. Knowledge in all fields is under constant flux. The content is not as important as the mental discipline and critical thinking skills acquired in rigorously and formally trying to master a field. That is the real value of a college education.



    Basic evolutionary biology, learning the the founding fathers of this country were not Bible thumping evangelicals, or learning the basic physics and chemistry behind global warming are not "forced indoctrination". It's just learning the facts so you don't think people who believe the world is only 6000 years old have an equally legitimate viewpoint which needs equal air time and lots of time debating.



    It's worth having a meltdown when more Americans believe in Bigfoot, UFO abductions, and a 6000 year old Earth than they do in basic evolutionary biology and climate science. It's outrageous. They need better education.
    They love you.


  9. #299
    Professor ataraxia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,493

    Re: Majority of republicans say colleges are bad for america (yes, really)

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    They love you.

    That's why they are in college. At least they are doing something about it. Better than these guys who think they already know it all so they don't need no frickin' schooling anymore, right?


  10. #300
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    65,631

    Re: Majority of republicans say colleges are bad for america (yes, really)

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBY View Post
    You can be as rude as you want, and that makes you no less wrong. You have no evidence.

    Deflection will not save Trumpism or his agenda. The Alt Right wants a "smaller govt" because it is easier to control and thus take away citizens' freedoms.
    So it is rude to provide actual facts that counter your opinions and predictions? Deflection? That is what you are doing from the actual facts

Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •