Page 87 of 96 FirstFirst ... 37778586878889 ... LastLast
Results 861 to 870 of 954

Thread: White privilege

  1. #861
    geo-lib
    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    58,388

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I got to "entire educated world" and stopped reading...

    ... wow. Over bloated self worth. Makes my Appeal......
    Show me a sociology department that does not recognize and accept the concept as legitimate. You just decided, all by yourself without study education or training, that we live in a utopian society wherein everyone gets a fair shot. Your fantasy land trumps all science. I guess that fantasy is very important.

  2. #862
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:47 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    48,762

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by Tangmo View Post
    One of those stripes on the flag is white privilege.

    Doesn't matter which white stripe it is.


    I'll take the third one down
    White privilege disappears when you are poor, regardless how white. That's why there is so much backlash to the term. Now, it totally applies to whites who were born into money, stability, family connections, etc. But, if you are the son of a pair of white meth heads or unemployed drunks living in the hills of Kentucky, not so much.

    If you're going to be poor in the US, you may be better off Black. At least then you have a shot at Harvard and Yale.

  3. #863
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,834

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Show me a sociology department that does not recognize and accept the concept as legitimate. You just decided, all by yourself without study education or training, that we live in a utopian society wherein everyone gets a fair shot. Your fantasy land trumps all science. I guess that fantasy is very important.
    I never said any such thing... if you don't even understand my argument, at this point, why bother continuing?


    "What if women would go out and get raped on purpose just so they could get off work?" - Mike Pence

  4. #864
    geo-lib
    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    58,388

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I never said any such thing... if you don't even understand my argument, at this point, why bother continuing?
    Your argument amounts to ignorance. I post for the audience.

  5. #865
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    70

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Show me a sociology department that does not recognize and accept the concept as legitimate. You just decided, all by yourself without study education or training, that we live in a utopian society wherein everyone gets a fair shot. Your fantasy land trumps all science. I guess that fantasy is very important.
    This is an appeal ad populum. Just because a concept is popular, does not mean it is right. Furthermore, shifting the burden of proof to the opposition does not relieve you from having to support your claim. If your claim is that every (or almost every) sociology department recognizes AND accepts this concept as legitimate, then it is your responsibility to support the claim. Good luck with that. Furthermore, the reason we cannot merely accept sociology departments as a legitimate "authorities" on the matter is due to the inherent ideological bias implicit in the U.S. university system. Now, this bias probably has a limited impact on the math and physics departments. However, it is likely be felt mightily in the sociology department.

    Note the impacts stated here:
    It?s finally out–The big review paper on the lack of political diversity in social psychology | HeterodoxAcademy.org

    Amid support that the lack of diversity does exist.
    "Repeated studies have found that about 10 percent of professors in the social sciences or the humanities are Republicans."
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/10/o...mpus.html?_r=0

    Let's not confuse for ideology as fact or opinion as science even when such ideology and opinion is couched within the field of academia. White privilege is little more than a liberal/progressive trope. It creates some sort of fantastic image of white men wielding immense power and generates a conflict that only exists in the minds of social justice warriors. It should only be treated as serious inasmuch as it is used to sow seeds of doubt in the minds of individuals who perceive themselves to be under-privileged because they are neither white nor male and thus generating a type of envy which usually results in the types of mass uprisings we have seen around the world when students seek to create their own utopias by destroying everything society had built before them. We should take white privilege seriously only inasmuch as we seek to avoid the types of genocides and purges which tend to be instigated by such divisive ideas within ideologies that promote class or racial warfare.

  6. #866
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,834

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I post for the audience.
    I am sure that they are very grateful for your opinion...


    "What if women would go out and get raped on purpose just so they could get off work?" - Mike Pence

  7. #867
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,834

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by ibelsd View Post
    This is an appeal ad populum. Just because a concept is popular, does not mean it is right. .
    I have repeatedly explained this concept to him but he pretends it does not exist and then repeats his mistake...


    "What if women would go out and get raped on purpose just so they could get off work?" - Mike Pence

  8. #868
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    70

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I have repeatedly explained this concept to him but he pretends it does not exist and then repeats his mistake...
    I can appreciate that. When truth is allowed to be separated from reason than it stands to reason that there can be no truth.

  9. #869
    geo-lib
    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    58,388

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I am sure that they are very grateful for your opinion...
    They better be.


    Quote Originally Posted by ibelsd View Post
    This is an appeal ad populum. Just because a concept is popular, does not mean it is right.
    Wrong. It is appeal to legitimate experts. That the legitimate expert opinion is popular is not surprising. Nor should we be surprised that lunatic perspectives are rare and only among the uneducated.

  10. #870
    geo-lib
    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    58,388

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    White privilege disappears when you are poor, regardless how white.
    False. You do not understand the concept. A poor white man will never know inescapable disadvantage as a result of his race. A rich black man will always know inescapable disadvantage as a result of his race.

    Being poor does not remove white privilege. One still gets a fair deal in housing, jobs and the justice system - at least as good as any other poor person. A black poor person does not get a fair shot compared to a poor white. Being rich does not escape white privilege either, as even a rich black man will be at a disadvantage in housing, employment and the justice system compared to rich whites.

    Is being rich an advantage? Of course, in all three aforementioned areas. But it does not make a white man black nor a black man white.

Page 87 of 96 FirstFirst ... 37778586878889 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •