Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 421

Thread: If Obamacare is so bad....

  1. #91
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,419

    Re: If Obamacare is so bad....

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    No, you did not answer my question at all. Here it is again.


    Be SPECIFIC about what doesn't work in the ACA. E.g. How did it screw up:

    • Guaranteed issue
    • Guaranteed coverage for preventative medicine and screenings
    • Medicare savings of hundreds of billions of dollars per year
    • Medicare incentives
    • Exchanges (note: after the initial problems, they work very well now)
    • Subsidized insurance for people who can't afford it
    • The Medicare expansion
    • The closure of the Medicare Part D "Donut Hole"
    • Allowing approval of generic biologics
    • The end of lifetime care limits
    • Ratepayer rebates when an insurer spends too much on administration
    • Rate review (insurers must notify groups if rates go up more than 10%)
    That's not a question. That's a demand.

    btw, I don't hop when someone demands. Get used to that, eh?
    TANSTAAFL

    “Certain types of loudmouthism should be a capital offense among decent people.” ― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

  2. #92
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    04-22-17 @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,236

    Re: If Obamacare is so bad....

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    That's not a question. That's a demand.


    Ok then. Let me rephrase it as a series of questions.


    How did the ACA screw up....
    • Guaranteed issue?

    • Guaranteed coverage for preventative medicine and screenings?

    • Medicare savings of hundreds of billions of dollars per year?

    • Medicare incentives?

    • Exchanges (note: after the initial problems, they work very well now)?

    • Subsidized insurance for people who can't afford it?

    • The Medicare expansion?

    • The closure of the Medicare Part D "Donut Hole"?

    • Allowing approval of generic biologics?

    • The end of lifetime care limits?

    • Ratepayer rebates when an insurer spends too much on administration?

    • Rate review (insurers must notify groups if rates go up more than 10%)?

  3. #93
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,419

    Re: If Obamacare is so bad....

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post


    Ok then. Let me rephrase it as a series of questions.


    How did the ACA screw up....
    • Guaranteed issue?

    • Guaranteed coverage for preventative medicine and screenings?

    • Medicare savings of hundreds of billions of dollars per year?

    • Medicare incentives?

    • Exchanges (note: after the initial problems, they work very well now)?

    • Subsidized insurance for people who can't afford it?

    • The Medicare expansion?

    • The closure of the Medicare Part D "Donut Hole"?

    • Allowing approval of generic biologics?

    • The end of lifetime care limits?

    • Ratepayer rebates when an insurer spends too much on administration?

    • Rate review (insurers must notify groups if rates go up more than 10%)?
    I already answered that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Government mandated one size fits all satisfies nobody. That's why Obamacare is destined for the toilet.
    If you don't like my answer, too bad. Get over it and, while you are at it, get over your own self.
    TANSTAAFL

    “Certain types of loudmouthism should be a capital offense among decent people.” ― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

  4. #94
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    19,847

    Re: If Obamacare is so bad....

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I already answered that.



    If you don't like my answer, too bad. Get over it and, while you are at it, get over your own self.
    Trumpcare wil be far worse than the ACA. There is no doubt about it and the GOP will have a very hard time getting over that.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    - Voltaire

  5. #95
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,419

    Re: If Obamacare is so bad....

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Trumpcare wil be far worse than the ACA. There is no doubt about it and the GOP will have a very hard time getting over that.
    "Trumpcare"??

    What's that?
    TANSTAAFL

    “Certain types of loudmouthism should be a capital offense among decent people.” ― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

  6. #96
    Sage
    Moderate Right's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    11,875

    Re: If Obamacare is so bad....

    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Why can’t republicans come up with a better plan? How about a plan? Yea, they’ve had 6 years. We’ve had 3 full years of the exchanges. Certainly there is enough data from that alone to help come up with a plan. it doesn't even have to be a better plan. They can just lie that its better and their base wont hold them accountable. Their base just needs something to repeat over and over. I'm thinking something along the lines of “sure it covers fewer people and costs more but its better because there are no death panels”.

    Certainly even some conservatives have to start to wonder how "repeal and replace" got repealed and replaced with "repeal and delay"?
    I agree with you there but there is no denying that Obamacare is bad.

  7. #97
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    19,847

    Re: If Obamacare is so bad....

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    "Trumpcare"??

    What's that?
    That is the name of whatever is left of our HC system after Trump gets thru with it. It is the GOP version of the ACA and they will OWN it lock stock and barrel. Soon the people will find out that unlike Obama, Trump does not CARE.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    - Voltaire

  8. #98
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    19,847

    Re: If Obamacare is so bad....

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    I agree with you there but there is no denying that Obamacare is bad.
    Not as bad as it was before the ACA and not nearly as bad as it will be afterwards. Nothing like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    - Voltaire

  9. #99
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,654

    Re: If Obamacare is so bad....

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    Premiums did not grow as fast for several years after the ACA was passed and started taking effect.
    ."
    Right... and now we pretty much know that it was because of the poor economy and not because of the ACA.

    Incorrect. ACA has guaranteed issue, so they can't refuse to cover people with pre-existing conditions, and can't refuse to cover something because they were pre-existing.
    Yada yada. They can still make costs prohibitive so its unaffordable. I have relatives that had pre existing conditions before. They still got covered.... at a price. that still occurs.

    yes, and that was not a good thing, because those people had no health insurance at all.
    Yep... and in general did fine. Because the vast number aren't sick.

    20,000 per year.
    Exactly.

    Incorrect. ACA explicitly requires insurers to cover preventive care, for adults and kids. E.g.
    no correct. Heck... the worse for preventative care is Medicaid.. a government program. If a person has back pain...and they get into physical therapy within 18 or so days of onset.. (and pain that doesn't go below the knee. and a couple of indicators). there is a 95% confidence level that their back pain won't become chronic.

    Medicaid in two of the states I do work in takes 30 days to authorize therapy.

    just one of many examples of how they really don't cover preventative care or put roadblocks in front of it.

    So did I. It was an expensive PITA. I wound up with crappy coverage at a high cost, and my insurer repeatedly tried not to cover conditions. I'm one of the lucky ones, in that I was able to get it at all. As a freelancer, not getting coverage would have been a major issue.
    And that hasn't changed.

    A straight-up repeal would kill coverage for over 20 million Americans. AFAIK 2.6 million people signed up after the election. Medicare's costs would jump by $800 billion. Guaranteed issue, gone. The industry would be in a furore, because they know that going back to pre-ACA would be a disaster. Ryan is already backing down from Repeal & Delay, and says the goal now is to do Repeal & Replace "concurrently."
    First..20 million people is a drop in the bucket. Particularly since many of them don't use their healthcare insurance nor really need it at this time. People don't really care that Medicare's costs go up. Add it to the list of other costs that have gone up for the government.
    Guaranteed issue doesn't matter that much to the vast majority of folks that have insurance through and employer or medicare. or Medicaid.
    The aca tried to fix problems for basically a very small percentage of americans. In some cases it helped. It more cases it probably hurt.

    Killing it will have little public fall out.

    that's simply the facts.

  10. #100
    Sage
    Vern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: If Obamacare is so bad....

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    I agree with you there but there is no denying that Obamacare is bad.
    MR, I think it is very easy to deny. As Greenbeard said
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Repeal-and-delay acknowledges two facts:

    1. Obamacare is better than no Obamacare
    2. The GOP has no functional alternative to Obamacare

    So it stays on the books.
    again, "and delay" proves Obamacare is better than no Obamacare. And the GOP's inability to come up with any plan let alone a better one after 6 years tells you Obamacare must be pretty good. The republicans own words and actions tell you all you need to know. so please explain how Obamacare is bad starting with

    "sure, Obamacare covers 20 million people, lowers the deficit and increases the quality of care but its bad because......
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredUSN View Post
    and I turn down more work than I accept to avoid hiring Americans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    What proof is there Qaddafi ordered or financed that bombing? ......Qaddafi had the integrity to fight with his military. I don't believe he used terrorists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You claim the economy was destroyed when Bush left office

Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •