Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
Results 231 to 234 of 234

Thread: Repeal the 17th Amendment?

  1. #231
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    493

    Re: Repeal the 17th Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich2018 View Post
    Yes





    OK


    But my question remains:
    "what benefit do you get from having senators elected/appointed by a state legislature versus elected by popular vote within their state ?"
    Rich, the benefit of have them appointed would be they would be beholden to the State instead of a political party. They would be subject to recall at anytime during their appointment if they failed to represent their State legislature. It would also reduce the career politician status in the Senate.

    I also believe that Senators and Representatives should be paid by the State they represent and not by the federal government.
    Last edited by Terryj; 06-08-20 at 06:58 PM.
    Vietnam Veteran Jan 69-Aug 70
    Member of MOPH
    Disabled Veterans Of America

  2. #232
    Sage
    Rich2018's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Norcross, Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    24,855

    Re: Repeal the 17th Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
    Rich, the benefit of have them appointed would be they would be beholden to the State instead of a political party.
    That might benefit the state but how does it benefit the voter ?

    (more than direct election that is)



    They would be subject to recall at anytime during their appointment if they failed to represent their State legislature. It would also reduce the career politician status in the Senate.

    I also believe that Senators and Representatives should be paid by the State they represent and not by the federal government.

    That means they would be the state's representative but rather their delegate.

  3. #233
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    493

    Re: Repeal the 17th Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich2018 View Post
    That might benefit the state but how does it benefit the voter ?

    (more than direct election that is)






    That means they would be the state's representative but rather their delegate.
    Rich, what you fail to understand is the Senators were never intended to represent the voter, the voter is represented by the House.

    Rich, that is what a Senator is suppose to do, represent the State or as you might say, the States appointed delegate in the federal government.
    Vietnam Veteran Jan 69-Aug 70
    Member of MOPH
    Disabled Veterans Of America

  4. #234
    Sage
    Rich2018's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Norcross, Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    24,855

    Re: Repeal the 17th Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
    Rich, what you fail to understand is the Senators were never intended to represent the voter, the voter is represented by the House.

    Rich, that is what a Senator is suppose to do, represent the State or as you might say, the States appointed delegate in the federal government.

    I can see what was intended

    I just find the concept wholly objectionable

    Once again, as a citizen, which system benefits you the most and why ?

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •