Page 4 of 78 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 778

Thread: **** the Founding Fathers

  1. #31
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Last Seen
    03-07-20 @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    357

    Re: **** the Founding Fathers

    Quote Originally Posted by Rexedgar View Post
    We’re getting closer, day by day.........
    I agree, the more and more people who get into our country illegally the more we will become like those countries they come from.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Amelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    8,766

    Re: **** the Founding Fathers

    Quote Originally Posted by Rexedgar View Post
    If they were so smart, how come they didn’t foresee where the US finds itself today?


    Tired of hearing about the FF and what they meant........

    They thought that the Electoral College would do its job and save us from where we find ourselves today.
    Awiens

  3. #33
    Sage
    Rich2018's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Norcross, Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    18,344

    Re: **** the Founding Fathers

    Quote Originally Posted by Rexedgar View Post
    If they were so smart, how come they didn’t foresee where the US finds itself today?


    Tired of hearing about the FF and what they meant........
    The founders were small world, little America men.

    They wrote a constitution that wouldn't be more unfit for purpose had the Romans written it.


    It is time to scrap the obsolete 18th century constitution and write one for the 21st century.

  4. #34
    Guru
    Vadinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,754

    Re: **** the Founding Fathers

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich2018 View Post
    The founders were small world, little America men.

    They wrote a constitution that wouldn't be more unfit for purpose had the Romans written it.


    It is time to scrap the obsolete 18th century constitution and write one for the 21st century.
    I only wish we could trust our leaders to write a new constitution that fixes some of the flaws in the original but I think we would never allow any group to do it. Sandy Levinson has written about this in several books. Balkin too. If a convention were to occur today, you would have scholars like them sitting next to morons like Mark Levin, it would be a disaster.
    Ubuntu: I am because we are.

    'The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal their bread.' Anatole France

  5. #35
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,444
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: **** the Founding Fathers

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Valley View Post
    There was no way to cover every contingency.

    The FF never envisioned someone as corrupt as Donald Trump as president nor a Senate as ethically emasculated as the GOP majority 116th.
    Uh....yeah they did.


    Learn to history, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Rich2018's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Norcross, Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    18,344

    Re: **** the Founding Fathers

    Quote Originally Posted by Vadinho View Post
    I only wish we could trust our leaders to write a new constitution that fixes some of the flaws in the original but I think we would never allow any group to do it. Sandy Levinson has written about this in several books. Balkin too. If a convention were to occur today, you would have scholars like them sitting next to morons like Mark Levin, it would be a disaster.
    We could get all the groups concerned to write their own constitutions, then vote for the one we like the most.

    I favor a move towards parliamentary government.

    Don't treat the judiciary as part of the government and divorce the offices of head of state and head of the government.

  7. #37
    Sage
    j brown's body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    5,315

    Re: **** the Founding Fathers

    Wonder if they would have cared to see senators lose a vote on the articles of impeachment to senators who represent 19 million less people than they do.

  8. #38
    Sage
    ataraxia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    17,028

    Re: **** the Founding Fathers

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Valley View Post
    There was no way to cover every contingency.

    The FF never envisioned someone as corrupt as Donald Trump as president nor a Senate as ethically emasculated as the GOP majority 116th.
    Nah they did. They did the best they could. But there is really only so much you can do against someone so shameless and with such temerity, and with such a a large, crazed pitchfork-armed mob behind him.

    "When a man unprincipled in private life desperate in his fortune, bold in his temper, possessed of considerable talents, having the ability of military habits—despotic in his ordinary demeanor—known to have scoffed in private at the principles of liberty—when such a man is seen to mount the hobby horse of popularity—to join in the cry of danger to liberty—to take every opportunity of embarrassing the General Government & bringing it under suspicion—to flatter and fall in with all the non sense of the zealots of the day—It may justly be suspected that his object is to throw things into confusion that he may 'ride the storm and direct the whirlwind.'"
    -Alexander Hamilton

  9. #39
    Sage
    Rich2018's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Norcross, Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    18,344

    Re: **** the Founding Fathers

    Quote Originally Posted by j brown's body View Post
    Wonder if they would have cared to see senators lose a vote on the articles of impeachment to senators who represent 19 million less people than they do.
    The whole idea of a Senate is a stupid idea.

    States with more people should have more senators....let's just scrap the Senate.

  10. #40
    Guru
    Vadinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,754

    Re: **** the Founding Fathers

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich2018 View Post
    We could get all the groups concerned to write their own constitutions, then vote for the one we like the most.

    I favor a move towards parliamentary government.

    Don't treat the judiciary as part of the government and divorce the offices of head of state and head of the government.
    The people of America voted for Donald Trump by the tens of millions. I trust them to vote on a new constitution about as much as I trust Trump to tell the truth. No, this is a game for the experts. Our FFs were all learned men steeped in a classical education, they were not morons. We have people like that now but they would never be given the power to write a new constitution given the politics of today.
    Ubuntu: I am because we are.

    'The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal their bread.' Anatole France

Page 4 of 78 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •