Page 22 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 768

Thread: **** the Founding Fathers

  1. #211
    Advisor Night_Ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    329

    Re: **** the Founding Fathers

    Quote Originally Posted by dairyair View Post
    Did you just make up the under God part? I think you did.
    A nation built on Christian ideas. 29 signers of the out of the total of 56 had divinity school training and were very well versed in theology. (Declaration of Independence)

    The omnipresence of Christianity in America provided an undergirding to everything the Founders said and did. It was so common that most people, aside from an ultra-pious man like John Adams, did not delve deeply into the implications of their faith for every daily interaction. Yet how can one escape the fact that virtually all of the Republic’s early universities were founded by denominations with the intent of advancing the cause of Christ---and not some generic “Creator”? How does one reconcile the evidence of a long and tortured spiritual journey of Abraham Lincoln, who only “surrendered all” after Gettysburg? How can the divinity school training of so many early giants---and many later presidents, who studied theology formally---be cavalierly swept aside? And all this in a young nation in which the path to power and fame was anything but the clergy!

  2. #212
    Advisor Night_Ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    329

    Re: **** the Founding Fathers

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich2018 View Post
    1. Which god ?

    2. Ever thought that if it wasn't for the Royal Navy and the British army, they'd speak French or Spanish in the New World ?
    The God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob.
    We would be speaking German and we would all be under socialist control.

  3. #213
    Professor
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:10 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,116

    Re: **** the Founding Fathers

    Quote Originally Posted by Night_Ranger View Post
    A nation built on Christian ideas. 29 signers of the out of the total of 56 had divinity school training and were very well versed in theology. (Declaration of Independence)

    The omnipresence of Christianity in America provided an undergirding to everything the Founders said and did. It was so common that most people, aside from an ultra-pious man like John Adams, did not delve deeply into the implications of their faith for every daily interaction. Yet how can one escape the fact that virtually all of the Republic’s early universities were founded by denominations with the intent of advancing the cause of Christ---and not some generic “Creator”? How does one reconcile the evidence of a long and tortured spiritual journey of Abraham Lincoln, who only “surrendered all” after Gettysburg? How can the divinity school training of so many early giants---and many later presidents, who studied theology formally---be cavalierly swept aside? And all this in a young nation in which the path to power and fame was anything but the clergy!
    And yet, many left England because of their christian church.
    Set up the country to be secular. Free from the restrictions of religion.

  4. #214
    Sage

    Rexedgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,802

    Re: **** the Founding Fathers

    Quote Originally Posted by Night_Ranger View Post
    The God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob.
    We would be speaking German and we would all be under socialist control.
    This is the second time I have seen you post this today. What past scenario gets us “speaking German?”
    Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you are honest with them. Then you are an asshole. ” - George Carlin
    ”I know, everybody funny, now you funny too.” -George Thorogood

  5. #215
    Sage
    GreatNews2night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,794

    Re: **** the Founding Fathers

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    oh my ****ing god

    stop with all the damn hyperbole and crying

    Clinton was impeached because he LIED...not because he got a blowjob...it was the perjury charge...and even with that, it wasnt enough to REMOVE him which i agreed with

    and if Bolton REALLY had the goods, Pelosi had choices on what to do....she could have recalled the articles of impeachment, reopened the house inquiry, and then subpoenaed him to the house. But that was a RISKY move....he could have turned it down, and she would have looked even worse than now....he didnt WANT to tak, he wanted to sell his damn book....and KNEW the GOP and senate would NEVER call him....if you think anything differently, i have some oceanfront property in Flagstaff for sale

    why did Nixon resign? because the PUBLIC demanded it....he knew the senate would convict, because the public wanted his HEAD ON A PIKE....and those percentages were near 75-80% nationally....dems, pubs, everyone!

    That wasnt the case here....not even close....you can believe what you want....Pelosi screwed the pooch big time....one of the worst political blunders i have seen in 50+ years....and it might not just cost you the presidency, but the house also
    You do realize that to win a presidential election a candidate needs 50% + 1, right?
    56% of Americans wanted Trump impeached and removed.
    There are many reasons for Trump to win the election and for Dems to lose it... (I actually think it's the most likely outcome) but impeachment is not one of them, simply because the majority of Americans supported it, therefore the majority of Americans won't turn against the Dems because of it.

    I know what happen to Bill Clinton. What part of what I said that he was impeached because he LIED about a blow job you don't understand? Where did I say he was impeached because he GOT a blow job? Please enhance your reading comprehension. From the very post you quoted: "lying about a blowjob" is what I said.

    Everything else you said is just your denial, you won't condemn your cult leader.
    Last edited by GreatNews2night; 02-16-20 at 06:29 PM.
    Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it. It's not a concern just for the elderly. If we allow our health care system to be overwhelmed, all age groups who might need all other care will suffer.

  6. #216
    Sage
    GreatNews2night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,794

    Re: **** the Founding Fathers

    Quote Originally Posted by Cynical View Post
    That's not the only reason. Anyone who has a baby on US soil by virtue of their child will be able to get numerous forms of welfare: free healthcare, free schooling, free housing, free food, etc.
    Yep, true. I'd do away with this item too. We need a constitution amendment to do away with the anchor baby phenomenon. Virtually no other developed Western country has this rule in place. Everywhere, I child born in a country is only a citizen if at least one of the parents is a citizen or at the very least is in the country legally.

    Try to go to Germany, enter illegally, have a baby there, and see if the baby gets to be a German citizen. Nope.
    Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it. It's not a concern just for the elderly. If we allow our health care system to be overwhelmed, all age groups who might need all other care will suffer.

  7. #217
    User cmoneal71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Last Seen
    02-16-20 @ 10:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    30

    Re: **** the Founding Fathers

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatNews2night View Post
    I entirely agree. Offer jobs and they will come, wall or not. Don't offer jobs and they won't come (and the existing ones will leave), even without a wall. The focus should be on drying out the illegal job sources. There would be no reason for illegal aliens to come here if they couldn't work here.

    Jobs are the key. Better proof, since Canadians don't crave our jobs, they stay in Canada and there is no trouble in the Northern border whatsoever, although there is no wall there.

    A 20-foot wall is only as good as a short ladder, and is defeated by a 21-foot ladder, tunnels, hot air balloons, small airplanes, boats around the shores, and most importantly, regular entry points with valid visas that people then overstay, which is the source of 50% of illegal immigration. Build a wall, make it slightly more difficult to come through illegal entry points, and simply, illegal aliens will tilt this balance in favor of the legal entry points (say, they'll become 80% instead of 50%, the other 20% will just get more creative and manage to fool the wall).

    But stop the jobs, and absolutely, illegal immigration comes to a screeching halt.

    The way to stop the jobs is to use the money that would have been spent on the wall, to hire an army of Department of Labor inspectors, and to reform the Penal Code to recommend hard mandatory prison time with long mandatory minimum sentences and no parole for the owners, CEOs, and high managers of the companies that hire illegal aliens, together with disabling fines and cancellation of business licenses.

    Do that and there is no more illegal immigration. The first few CEOs that get thrown in jail for years, illegal immigration goes to close to zero.

    But of course, both parties love to posture about it, but neither party does anything that would actually be effective to curb the problem.

    The GOP wants to keep the issue alive to be able to posture about it, build some short stretches of wall, and rally their base around it, while of course they won't go after the powerful conglomerates in the hospitality industry, farming, construction, etc., that employ illegal aliens.

    The Dems want to keep the issue alive to pander to Hispanic voters and ultra-liberal types who want an open border.
    We should also stop letting them have housing, education, medical care(except in life or death situations without paying up front first), and end birthright citizenship.

  8. #218
    Sage
    GreatNews2night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,794

    Re: **** the Founding Fathers

    Quote Originally Posted by cmoneal71 View Post
    We should also stop letting them have housing, education, medical care(except in life or death situations without paying up front first), and end birthright citizenship.
    It wouldn't be impossible to require proof of citizenship or legal status to enroll in public schools, given that public schools are tax-funded. It's a bit problematic in terms of what paying mix exists locally because some public schools are funded with property taxes and through ownership or rent, illegals do pay property taxes. Still, like in other countries, we might be able to pass legislation to require citizenship or legal status for several acts of civil life, such as for example opening a banking account (it's already required, no? I actually don't know), but it's a slippery slope because other restrictions might be contrary to other freedoms. How, for example, would we prevent an illegal alien kid from attending a privately funded parochial school with his parents paying the tuition out of pocket? Same with housing, it might be difficult to prevent a private landlord from renting his property to an illegal alien paying in cash.

    Medical care, absolutely. No non-emergency health care for illegal aliens unless paid out of pocket upfront, because there is no way to draw a line. If you give free healthcare to illegal aliens, the United States will become a medical tourism mecca... whoever has an expensive-to-treat medical condition in his/her country of origin and can't afford it, will come here for free care. Sure, if illegal aliens had medical insurance it would be a bit better for ERs, as they might get to primary care and stop conditions from becoming critical and lending them in the ER, but it wouldn't be cheaper for the taxpayer. Any savings made there would be largely upset by other medical expenses, given that ER care is only 10% of all US medical care. A transplant, a heart surgery, cancer chemotherapy, neurosurgery, etc., cost in the several hundred thousand dollars so this would offset ER care savings. See, a trip to an ER might cost $2,000 but a lung transplant costs $650,000, heart surgery costs $250,000, chemotherapy $300,000 and plus and so forth. No developed country in the world gives free medical care to illegal aliens outside of real emergencies; once the illegal alien is patched up and no longer risks imminent death, he/she is kicked out of the hospital. Even countries with universal health care do that.

    Ending birthright citizenship unless at least one of the parents is legally here, I'd support too. It's this way in almost all developed countries.
    Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it. It's not a concern just for the elderly. If we allow our health care system to be overwhelmed, all age groups who might need all other care will suffer.

  9. #219
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Near Atlanta Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    9,394

    Re: **** the Founding Fathers

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatNews2night View Post
    I entirely agree. Offer jobs and they will come, wall or not. Don't offer jobs and they won't come (and the existing ones will leave), even without a wall. The focus should be on drying out the illegal job sources. There would be no reason for illegal aliens to come here if they couldn't work here.

    Jobs are the key. Better proof, since Canadians don't crave our jobs, they stay in Canada and there is no trouble in the Northern border whatsoever, although there is no wall there.

    A 20-foot wall is only as good as a short ladder, and is defeated by a 21-foot ladder, tunnels, hot air balloons, small airplanes, boats around the shores, and most importantly, regular entry points with valid visas that people then overstay, which is the source of 50% of illegal immigration. Build a wall, make it slightly more difficult to come through illegal entry points, and simply, illegal aliens will tilt this balance in favor of the legal entry points (say, they'll become 80% instead of 50%, the other 20% will just get more creative and manage to fool the wall).

    But stop the jobs, and absolutely, illegal immigration comes to a screeching halt.

    The way to stop the jobs is to use the money that would have been spent on the wall, to hire an army of Department of Labor inspectors, and to reform the Penal Code to recommend hard mandatory prison time with long mandatory minimum sentences and no parole for the owners, CEOs, and high managers of the companies that hire illegal aliens, together with disabling fines and cancellation of business licenses.

    Do that and there is no more illegal immigration. The first few CEOs that get thrown in jail for years, illegal immigration goes to close to zero.

    But of course, both parties love to posture about it, but neither party does anything that would actually be effective to curb the problem.

    The GOP wants to keep the issue alive to be able to posture about it, build some short stretches of wall, and rally their base around it, while of course they won't go after the powerful conglomerates in the hospitality industry, farming, construction, etc., that employ illegal aliens.

    The Dems want to keep the issue alive to pander to Hispanic voters and ultra-liberal types who want an open border.
    you need to do a little more homework on WHERE illegals actually work

    the left's mantra is "stop the jobs" and they will stop coming....

    well, the CEO's you are talking about maybe employ 12-15% of the illegals working in the country....that's it

    the majority work for other illegals in mostly cash businesses around neighborhoods...they do contract jobs such as gardening, mowing, landscaping, fencing, asphalt work....they do ALL types of home repair type work and reconstruction.....sometimes they work alone, and sometimes you will see them working in crews....they also run moving companies, local and interstate....very few are licensed or bonded, and almost none carry workers comp insurance so they usually UNDERBID the guys who do carry those extra expenses

    those that arent working in those situations are running sidewalk businesses....selling vegetables, waters, whatever it takes to make a living....they live and work in the shadow economy costing our local and state agencies millions upon millions of dollars in regulation fees unpaid, and taxes never paid

    i have had this conversation a hundred times easily, and not one person has been able to tell me how they are going to get rid of THOSE jobs....and that shadow economy.....which is where MOST of them work
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  10. #220
    Professor
    Sabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,222

    Re: **** the Founding Fathers

    Quote Originally Posted by Rexedgar View Post
    If they were so smart, how come they didn’t foresee where the US finds itself today?

    Tired of hearing about the FF and what they meant........
    Passed over this several times but it irked me so much each time that I have to ask - where do you see the US 229 years from now? I would really like an accurate prediction.

Page 22 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •