Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 56 of 56

Thread: Does the Constitution make America a Christian nation?

  1. #51
    Guru Glitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Alaska (61.5N, -149W)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,547

    Re: Does the Constitution make America a Christian nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    This is a big question in this country these days. There are many who 'believe' that Christianity and the Bible brought about the Constitution that formed the United States of America.

    At a rally at a church in Miami, last week Trump said, “Very soon I’ll be taking action to safeguard students and teachers’ First Amendment rights to pray in our schools. They want to take that right along with many other ones.” Who are these horrible "They"?

    What prayers will be pushed into public schools? What faith will be promoted by government regulations? A clause in the U.S. Constitution prohibits the government from promoting one religion over the other, which means public schools don’t promote prayer or religious symbols. Well --- public schools aren't supposed to promote prayer or have religious symbols in their buildings or on the grounds.

    What did the Founding Fathers think about religion and its place in society? Did they use the Bible to formulate the laws of the new nation?
    It is a question that was answered 224 years ago when President John Adams ratified the Treaty of Tripoli in 1796. Article 11 of that treaty states:
    As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion, -as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen, -and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.
    There is absolutely nothing within the US Constitution or any other founding document that would allow anyone to believe that the US is founded upon any religion. Thomas Jefferson's Virginia Act for Religious Freedom in 1786 is what the First Amendment is partly based upon. Wherein he stated:
    We, the General Assembly of Virginia, do enact that no man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained, molested, or burthened in his body or goods, or shall otherwise suffer, on account of his religious opinions of belief; but that all men shall be free to profess, and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of religion, and that the same shall in no wise diminish, enlarge, or affect their civil capabilities.
    In a letter to Elbridge Gerry on January 26, 1799, Thomas Jefferson wrote:
    I am for freedom of religion, & against all maneuvres to bring about a legal ascendancy of one sect over another.
    In Virginia's Declaration of Rights in 1776 James Madison wrote:
    That religion, or the duty which we owe to our CREATOR, and the manner of discharging it, can be directed only by reason and conviction, not by force or violence; and therefore, all men are equally entitled to the free exercise of religion, according to the dictates of conscience; and that it is the mutual duty of all to practise Christian forbearance, love, and charity; towards each other.
    Even a casual glance at the history of the creation of the US it is very evident that the US was never intended to be a Christian nation, but rather a nation that accepts all religions equally. Only those who are completely ignorant of American history push this ridiculous notion of the US being a Christian nation.

  2. #52
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    26,327

    Re: Does the Constitution make America a Christian nation?

    Does a moral and religious people support a government that tortures? That goes to war under fraud?

    This country may be religious, but it is not moral.

  3. #53
    Salem ac Leporem Lisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,639

    Re: Does the Constitution make America a Christian nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Magdalene View Post
    More sarcasm. The final answer though is that I am entitled to my opinion, just as everyone else here is.
    I never once hinted that you are not entitled to your own opinion and the right to believe in and pray to the god of your choice, even if it is a rusty hubcap from an Edsel and 3 broken Star Wars Pez dispensers but you are not how entitled to your own facts or the ability to force others to play along with your religious beliefs, as illogical they may be. My secular and religious rights and my freedom of speech do not stop at the threshold of your church or at your religious beliefs.
    Condor060 said; Who was talking about Jesus? I posted scriptures from the bible. Try and keep up

  4. #54
    Sage
    Rich2018's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Norcross, Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,636

    Re: Does the Constitution make America a Christian nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! Holy triggered posted meltdown and lies batman!!!
    The best part of your posted meltdown and failed lies is that its still 100% your mistake. Your posts dont even making sense and have nothing to do with what I actually posted they are so hilariously angry over a made up fantasy in your head that was never said

    go ahead, post another meltdown its awesome!!!

    Bwa-hah-haha-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah

    Holy apple pie and custard batman !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    The absolute best part of YOUR totally inaccurate ramblings is you're 100% incorrect in what you say.


    ROTFLOL


    You're post is....make up something humorous here.....


    Goodbye, you're posts are no longer worth replying to.

  5. #55
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    58,403

    Re: Does the Constitution make America a Christian nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich2018 View Post
    Bwa-hah-haha-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah

    Holy apple pie and custard batman !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    The absolute best part of YOUR totally inaccurate ramblings is you're 100% incorrect in what you say.


    ROTFLOL


    You're post is....make up something humorous here.....


    Goodbye, you're posts are no longer worth replying to.
    YES!!!! and your triggered meltdowns and lies continue!!!!! SO awesome!
    Your posts fails and facts win again!

    Good move, run away to stop the bleeding from the ass whoppin your posts just took.

    In the future simply dont make up completely moronic dishonest claims in your head with no logical evidence to support them and your posts wont fail so hard. Good luck and you're welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Can't be racist against white people, they're not oppressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    There is no such thing as a "Zef."
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Rich2018's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Norcross, Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,636

    Re: Does the Constitution make America a Christian nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    I never once hinted that you are not entitled to your own opinion and the right to believe in and pray to the god of your choice, even if it is a rusty hubcap from an Edsel and 3 broken Star Wars Pez dispensers but you are not how entitled to your own facts or the ability to force others to play along with your religious beliefs, as illogical they may be. My secular and religious rights and my freedom of speech do not stop at the threshold of your church or at your religious beliefs.
    As Avon once said: "you are entitled to your opinion, but it is your assumption that we are also entitled to it, that's irritating."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •