Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 200

Thread: Does Constitution make liberalism illegal?

  1. #141
    Sage
    ataraxia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,127

    Re: Does Constitution make liberalism illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by James972 View Post
    Our natural right was to be free, not to be free to be eaten. IN the jungle if you attacked somebody they and allies attacked you back in defense. There were always rules. Govt became the ultimate evil in human history by organizing people into huge armies around huge ideas that slaughtered the opposition. Before liberal govt the slaughter was tiny. Now I think you've got your ABC's down!!
    So you think street gangs are OK, but national governments are not? Because the first is small and local, but the second is not?

  2. #142
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    20,069

    Re: Does Constitution make liberalism illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by ataraxia View Post
    So you think street gangs are OK, but national governments are not?
    If I said that I'll pay you $10,000. Bet??? Do you know what a strawman is?

  3. #143
    Sage
    ataraxia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,127

    Re: Does Constitution make liberalism illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by James972 View Post
    If I said that I'll pay you $10,000. Bet??? Do you know what a strawman is?
    Here is what you said:
    " IN the jungle if you attacked somebody they and allies attacked you back in defense. There were always rules. Govt became the ultimate evil in human history by organizing people into huge armies around huge ideas that slaughtered the opposition. Before liberal govt the slaughter was tiny. "

    So how is that not describing how street gangs work. They are tiny. And if they attack somebody they and allies will attack them back in defense. There are always rules. Even for street gangs. At least you don't have liberal govt involved, right?

    So what's wrong with it?

  4. #144
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    20,069

    Re: Does Constitution make liberalism illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by ataraxia View Post
    Here is what you said:
    " IN the jungle if you attacked somebody they and allies attacked you back in defense. There were always rules. Govt became the ultimate evil in human history by organizing people into huge armies around huge ideas that slaughtered the opposition. Before liberal govt the slaughter was tiny. "

    So how is that not describing how street gangs work. They are tiny. And if they attack somebody they and allies will attack them back in defense. There are always rules. Even for street gangs. At least you don't have liberal govt involved, right?

    So what's wrong with it?
    that's the way most countries work. Any population's govt is likely to be corrupt based on what we see in human history. That's why our Founders sought to strictly limit govt power. Now do you understand?

  5. #145
    Sage
    ataraxia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,127

    Re: Does Constitution make liberalism illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by James972 View Post
    that's the way most countries work. Any population's govt is likely to be corrupt based on what we see in human history. That's why our Founders sought to strictly limit govt power. Now do you understand?
    Well, at first they really took a lot of power away with the Articles of Confederation. But then they gave quite a bit back with the Constitution. Why?

  6. #146
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,421

    Re: Does Constitution make liberalism illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by James972 View Post
    please remember a liberal is a liberal out of near illiteracy:

    1) Jefferson and Madison formed the Republican Party in 1792 because they thought the tiny govt of George Washington was getting far too big.

    2) Jefferson wanted a new Constitution every 19 years to restore the freedom loving "spirit of '76." He thought the tendency of govt was to grow and to grow corrupt and that a new constitution was the best way to reassert individual liberty as found i the original Constitution.

    Thomas Jefferson:
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground."


    Now you have the proper context in which to understand Jefferson! If you have more questions please feel free to ask.
    dear, dear jimmy, your historical ignorance reigns supreme - as always.

    1) Jefferson and Madison formed the DEMOCRATIC-Republican Party in opposition to the Federalist Party which advocated stronger ties with Great Britain, a federal banking system and strengthened relationship between the government and wealthy, educated men.

    2) Jefferson pushed for a new Constitution every 19 years because he thought each generation should be able to have the government it preferred and not one created by past generations.
    The question Whether one generation of men has a right to bind another, seems never to have been started either on this or our side of the water. Yet it is a question of such consequences as not only to merit decision, but place also, among the fundamental principles of every government. The course of reflection in which we are immersed here on the elementary principles of society has presented this question to my mind; and that no such obligation can be so transmitted I think very capable of proof.—I set out on this ground, which I suppose to be self evident, ‘that the earth belongs in usufruct to the living’: that the dead have neither powers nor rights over it. The portion occupied by any individual ceases to be his when himself ceases to be, and reverts to the society. If the society has formed no rules for the appropriation of it’s lands in severality, it will be taken by the first occupants. These will generally be the wife and children of the decedent. If they have formed rules of appropriation, those rules may give it to the wife and children, or to some one of them, or to the legatee of the deceased. So they may give it to his creditor. But the child, the legatee, or creditor takes it, not by any natural right, but by a law of the society of which they are members, and to which they are subject. Then no man can, by natural right, oblige the lands he occupied, or the persons who succeed him in that occupation, to the paiment of debts contracted by him. For if he could, he might, during his own life, eat up the usufruct of the lands for several generations to come, and then the lands would belong to the dead, and not to the living, which would be the reverse of our principle.
    usufruct noun -- the right to enjoy the use and advantages of another's property short of the destruction or waste of its substance.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  7. #147
    Professor
    Jonsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,411

    Re: Does Constitution make liberalism illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by James972 View Post
    liberals are for big govt and conservatives like our Founders were for freedom from liberal govt, Now do you understand these basics???
    It must be willful ignorance because you once again have proven you have NO FRIGGIN CLUE WHAT A LIBERAL IS. But I am sure you will refuse to understand these basics.
    My Karma ran over your Dogma.

  8. #148
    Professor
    Jonsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,411

    Re: Does Constitution make liberalism illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by James972 View Post
    when William Buckley Jr was asked to define conservatism at 50th Anniversary Party for NR he simply said " those of us against govt". That means liberals socialist communists fascists and monarchists are for govt or are liberal. 1+1=2 Now you see why our Founders were opposed to govt and why they made all strains of liberal govt illegal in America. Any more questions??
    No he didn't simply say that. Got a link to this obvious fake quote. Course what it means in your book gives even more weight to the notion its total bull****.

    Ya, my question is prove he said that.
    My Karma ran over your Dogma.

  9. #149
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,421

    Re: Does Constitution make liberalism illegal?

    In standard jimmie fashion, he once again creates his own 'history' in an attempt to support his ideology

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonsa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by James972 View Post
    when William Buckley Jr was asked to define conservatism at 50th Anniversary Party for NR he simply said " those of us against govt". That means liberals socialist communists fascists and monarchists are for govt or are liberal. 1+1=2 Now you see why our Founders were opposed to govt and why they made all strains of liberal govt illegal in America. Any more questions??
    No he didn't simply say that. Got a link to this obvious fake quote. Course what it means in your book gives even more weight to the notion its total bull****.

    Ya, my question is prove he said that.
    from the ever so reliable Heritage Foundation, where I found the following words
    Ever the defender of what Russell Kirk called “the permanent things,” Mr. Buckley continually reminded us that real conservatism is based on tradition and the cumulative wisdom of those on whose shoulders we stand.

    He was reluctant to provide a final definition of conservatism, but he offered himself as a definition, admitting he was dependent on human freedom, not as an end, but as a means — to “live my life an obedient man, but obedient to God, subservient to the wisdom of my ancestors; never to the authority of political truths arrived at yesterday at the voting booth.”
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  10. #150
    Professor
    Jonsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,411

    Re: Does Constitution make liberalism illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    In standard jimmie fashion, he once again creates his own 'history' in an attempt to support his ideology



    from the ever so reliable Heritage Foundation, where I found the following words
    Classic propaganda from far right sources, especially the goosesteppers and white nationalists.
    My Karma ran over your Dogma.

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •