Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 106

Thread: The Bill of Rights Turns 230, and What Do We Have to Show for It? Nothing Good

  1. #1
    User Gdjjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    09-13-19 @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    136

    The Bill of Rights Turns 230, and What Do We Have to Show for It? Nothing Good

    “That was when they suspended the Constitution. They said it would be temporary. There wasn’t even any rioting in the streets. People stayed home at night, watching television, looking for some direction. There wasn’t even an enemy you could put your finger on.”—Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid’s Tale

    It’s been 230 years since James Madison drafted the Bill of Rights—the first ten amendments to the Constitution—as a means of protecting the people against government tyranny, and what do we have to show for it?

    Nothing good.

    In America today, the government does whatever it wants, freedom be damned.

    We can pretend that the Constitution, which was written to hold the government accountable, is still our governing document, but the reality of life in the American police state tells a different story.

    The Bill of Rights Turns 230, and What Do We Have to Show for It? Nothing Good – The Future of Freedom Foundation
    All men are created equal and have certain unalienable rights- there are no caveats.
    Truth is constant, what was true yesterday is true today and will be true tomorrow.
    Knowledge evolves, is not biased in its origin, and can manifest itself in ways unimaginable.

  2. #2
    ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,000

    Re: The Bill of Rights Turns 230, and What Do We Have to Show for It? Nothing Good

    Quote Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
    We can pretend that the Constitution, which was written to hold the government accountable, is still our governing document, but the reality of life in the American police kleptocracy state tells a different story.
    Fixed that for ya


    We live in an extractive state, in which a ruling elite extracts wealth from the rest.

  3. #3
    Conservatarian Guru
    Bullseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    13,152

    Re: The Bill of Rights Turns 230, and What Do We Have to Show for It? Nothing Good

    Quote Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
    “That was when they suspended the Constitution. They said it would be temporary. There wasn’t even any rioting in the streets. People stayed home at night, watching television, looking for some direction. There wasn’t even an enemy you could put your finger on.”—Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid’s Tale

    It’s been 230 years since James Madison drafted the Bill of Rights—the first ten amendments to the Constitution—as a means of protecting the people against government tyranny, and what do we have to show for it?

    Nothing good.

    In America today, the government does whatever it wants, freedom be damned.

    We can pretend that the Constitution, which was written to hold the government accountable, is still our governing document, but the reality of life in the American police state tells a different story.

    The Bill of Rights Turns 230, and What Do We Have to Show for It? Nothing Good – The Future of Freedom Foundation
    You're posting your thoughts on DP, right?
    State of Liberalism Progress Report
    1961: "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" - JFK
    2019: Where's my free stuff!

  4. #4
    Sage
    Rich2018's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Norcross, Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,369

    Re: The Bill of Rights Turns 230, and What Do We Have to Show for It? Nothing Good

    Scrap the constitution and write a 21st century one in modern day English.

  5. #5
    User Gdjjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    09-13-19 @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    136

    Re: The Bill of Rights Turns 230, and What Do We Have to Show for It? Nothing Good

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich2018 View Post
    Scrap the constitution and write a 21st century one in modern day English.
    Why? You don't approve? If not what part(s)? English is English- words have meaning- bastardiziing is what lawyers do- I guess it's telling that most congress critters are lawyers-
    I stopped going to school in the 9th grade, twice- even my non formal education has a pretty good grasp on comprehension- oh, there are measures available for changing the constitution- reading it points them out.
    All men are created equal and have certain unalienable rights- there are no caveats.
    Truth is constant, what was true yesterday is true today and will be true tomorrow.
    Knowledge evolves, is not biased in its origin, and can manifest itself in ways unimaginable.

  6. #6
    User Gdjjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    09-13-19 @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    136

    Re: The Bill of Rights Turns 230, and What Do We Have to Show for It? Nothing Good

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
    You're posting your thoughts on DP, right?
    DP? I don't have a clue what you're implying.
    All men are created equal and have certain unalienable rights- there are no caveats.
    Truth is constant, what was true yesterday is true today and will be true tomorrow.
    Knowledge evolves, is not biased in its origin, and can manifest itself in ways unimaginable.

  7. #7
    Student JohnnyDollar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Central Time Zone
    Last Seen
    09-15-19 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    205

    Re: The Bill of Rights Turns 230, and What Do We Have to Show for It? Nothing Good

    Quote Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
    DP? I don't have a clue what you're implying.
    Debate Politics. The name of this site.


    I forget too.

  8. #8
    Student JohnnyDollar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Central Time Zone
    Last Seen
    09-15-19 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    205

    Re: The Bill of Rights Turns 230, and What Do We Have to Show for It? Nothing Good

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich2018 View Post
    Scrap the constitution and write a 21st century one in modern day English.
    How about electing people that would support and defend it? People like Justin Amash. He's got the highest constitutional rating in all of congress.

  9. #9
    Conservatarian Guru
    Bullseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    13,152

    Re: The Bill of Rights Turns 230, and What Do We Have to Show for It? Nothing Good

    Quote Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
    DP? I don't have a clue what you're implying.
    DP = Debate Politics.
    State of Liberalism Progress Report
    1961: "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" - JFK
    2019: Where's my free stuff!

  10. #10
    Sage
    Rich2018's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Norcross, Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,369

    Re: The Bill of Rights Turns 230, and What Do We Have to Show for It? Nothing Good

    Quote Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
    Why? You don't approve? If not what part(s)? English is English- words have meaning- bastardiziing is what lawyers do- I guess it's telling that most congress critters are lawyers-
    I stopped going to school in the 9th grade, twice- even my non formal education has a pretty good grasp on comprehension- oh, there are measures available for changing the constitution- reading it points them out.
    21st century English is different from that spoken in the 18th century when the Constitution was written.

    Thomas Jefferson said that the Constitution was only good for 20 or so years and should then be rewritten.

    If the Constitution was so well written how come the Supreme Court can have 5:4 splits when interpreting what men 2130 years ago meant ?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •