Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 64 of 64

Thread: Freedom of Speech in schools.

  1. #61
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    69,704

    Re: Freedom of Speech in schools.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I actually agree that less English/Literature and more useful skills would be important. I don't agree with not teaching algebra, at least one mandatory year for everyone, then everything past that is a student's choice. I'm all for classes such as life skills (actually balancing a household budget, mortgage and loan information, knowing about credit and your credit score), self defense classes (not only physically defending yourself, but also weapon safety), and more classes dealing with history and government.
    I think we pretty much agree overall...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucker61 View Post
    Interesting but useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    That also describes Bodhi...

  2. #62
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    39,729
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Freedom of Speech in schools.

    Quote Originally Posted by JMR View Post
    I think you might step back a moment to think on this a bit. Teachers are human beings and highly trained professionals. It is a FACT that many subjects in curriculum are not black and white...but many shades of grey. Great teachers have very human interactions with their students, and often share their learning, their beliefs, their wisdom, their compassion. If you would like a more black and white setting you should enroll your children in a private school with the rules your require. You should not deprive other students of valuable educational experiences.

    It is amazing how threatened some are by diversity of thought. And as you say you are instilling your values in your children, they should be strong enough to hear a few variations. Otherwise they might as well live in a box.
    You don't need to share your beliefs to broaden kids minds. If they ask you a question that you know you're not supposed to answer because its sharing your personal beliefs then ask them a question back. Make them think. Making them think helps with critical thinking skills. Something far more needed than a teachers personal opinion.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang
    Sick Boy This is us.

  3. #63
    Guru
    JMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Not over the edge yet
    Last Seen
    10-21-18 @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,291

    Re: Freedom of Speech in schools.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    You don't need to share your beliefs to broaden kids minds. If they ask you a question that you know you're not supposed to answer because its sharing your personal beliefs then ask them a question back. Make them think. Making them think helps with critical thinking skills. Something far more needed than a teachers personal opinion.
    You seem to overlook how easy it would be to share a personal belief by the simple framing of the question asked back of the student. The idea that no personal beliefs are shared in a school is ridiculous. Raise your children to analyze the information they receive rather than closing them away from "dangerous" beliefs. Education is an ongoing experience, not a procedure performed on a student.

  4. #64
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    21,370

    Re: Freedom of Speech in schools.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    What's folly is to pretend that you, as a teacher, are all knowing. Which is what you have demonstrated here. That YOU know what is best for each and every child you come across. That YOU know how people felt 200 years ago. That YOU know....blah blah blah. It is your form of teaching that has led to the snowflake mentality that has been seen on so many of our college campuses of late.

    I may not know everything. But I do know my children. I know how to approach things with them. I know how they will react to different things. That is something you as a teacher would never know because you will never spend the time needed to understand those things with each and every child you come across. That is why it is the parents responsibility and Right to teach their children the subjective things and why teachers should stick to facts.
    Honestly.. that demonstrates a serious lack of what a good educator should do. A good teacher will have discussion of morals, of different viewpoints.. and so on. the irony here is that freedom of speech in the class room.. prevents ideology, and prevents the "all knowing" philosophy.

    That's as long as everyone has free speech.. the educator and the student..
    So we should put you down as supporting putting GPS trackers in everyone to "save lives"?
    Vegas Giants: "Sounds fantastic!"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •