Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 585

Thread: Why the Electoral College exists.

  1. #1
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    39,708
    Blog Entries
    2

    Why the Electoral College exists.

    For those of you that want to get rid of the EC.

    The reason that the EC exists is because we are not one whole country. We are a country with States in it. Not county's. Not districts. But States. What exactly does that mean? In order to understand what that means you have to examine history.

    Just before the Revolutionary War there were various districts that was controlled by the Brittish. After the Revolutionary War these same districts didn't just dissolve. The leaders of these districts considered themselves separate from the other districts. They were their own little mini-countries for lack of a better term at this time. These leaders knew that with them being so small that another country, a bigger country with more resources could came in (especially with the aftermath of the Revolutionary War) and basically take them over quite easily. In order to avoid this they communicated with each other for the express purpose of mutual defense. They were essentially doing what any other country did with when they had possible opponents that were bigger than them. A system that has been in effect for thousands of years and still exists to this day. They were making allies with equal or smaller, or hopefully bigger, states than they were. All for mutual defense.

    While trying to make allies they did not and never intended to give up control of their areas. This was purely a strategic tactic to ensure their survival. This led to the first Constitution known as the Articles of Confederation. As the name implies it was a confederation of states. Separate but equal states bound together for self defense. After some time they realized that the Articles of Confederation had some flaws. For example there was a problem of money paying for what this federal government was supposed to do. Or rather the lack of money to pay for it and there was no provisions in the Articles of Confederation that allowed the raising of such monies. IE: Taxes. They relied entirely upon the States to fund them and those States often did not pay in full what they promised. The States realized in order to properly assure mutual defense then they needed to make a slightly stronger federal government. One that could raise the money needed for protection and one that could over ride petty squabbles if the need should arise. (one reason the commerce clause was added into the US Constitution)

    This led to a Constitutional Convention. Which formed the current Constitution. The States gave up some power to ensure that all protection was mutual. But, even though they gave up some power for this they did not and would not give up complete power. They ensured this by making a limited Federal Government. Delegating it certain powers which it was never supposed to go beyond. Part of doing this was what led to the Electoral College. It ensured that the States, got to choose who ran the Federal government. And they made it to where each State would have essentially one voice, one vote. (the EC is more complicated than that, just boiling it down here). Each member State was supposed to have equal say in this Federal government. And it was designed this way by making the legislatures of each State select representatives to decide who was to become President.

    Note what I said there. It was designed this way by making the legislatures of each State select representatives to decide who was to become President. It wasn't left up to the people of each state. But their legislatures. The people had their say in how the Federal government was run by electing their legislatures and Representatives into office. IE: The Senators and Congressmen. It was up to the States to decide who to elect to enforce the will of the People. That is how the member States kept their control of how the Government was run. The people were never meant to elect the President. Just the Senators and Congressmen. It was another part of the Checks and Balances that was made into the current US Constitution. A way to make sure that the Executive Branch was not stronger than the Legislative Branch and the Judicial Branch. And visa versa all around.

    There is of course a bit more to it. This is just the watered down version but enough is in there to explain why we have the EC.

    In summary: We the People get to decide how our government is run via the Legislative Branch of our government by electing the Senators and Congressmen. The States gets to decide who to pick to execute the laws that is made by the Senate and House of Representatives. We are not One Country. We are several Member States acting in concert for the defense of all.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang
    Sick Boy This is us.

  2. #2
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-19-18 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,899

    Re: Why the Electoral College exists.

    Its also nice that a couple of dense population centers do not get to hold the other 90% of the country hostage with whatever coyote acme scheme they come up with.
    Thank you

  3. #3
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    12,193

    Re: Why the Electoral College exists.

    Quote Originally Posted by akyron View Post
    Its also nice that a couple of dense population centers do not get to hold the other 90% of the country hostage with whatever coyote acme scheme they come up with.
    But by doing that you basically saying that votes of Americans living in urban areas and more populous states counts less than those in rural America. Why should the minority of Americans be able to force their policies on the majority? Whether you like it or not the US is an urbanized country by a large margin and will only get bigger.
    Days Since Last Trump Twitter Tantrum: 0

  4. #4
    Jokes Are a Cry For Help.
    CMPancake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,513
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why the Electoral College exists.

    Quote Originally Posted by akyron View Post
    Its also nice that a couple of dense population centers do not get to hold the other 90% of the country hostage with whatever coyote acme scheme they come up with.
    So you admit that you like the Electoral College because it gives the minority more influence over the Presidential Election not because more people agree with Conservative politics but rather Conservatives just spread themselves out better than the majority voters?
    The GOP loves standards. They love standards so much, they got two of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I say that he [Trump] is the most honest guy to come down the pike in a very long while.

  5. #5
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-19-18 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,899

    Re: Why the Electoral College exists.

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    But by doing that you basically saying that votes of Americans living in urban areas and more populous states counts less than those in rural America. Why should the minority of Americans be able to force their policies on the majority? Whether you like it or not the US is an urbanized country by a large margin and will only get bigger.
    Not less. You have a say no matter where you live.
    Thank you

  6. #6
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-19-18 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,899

    Re: Why the Electoral College exists.

    Quote Originally Posted by CMPancake View Post
    So you admit that you like the Electoral College because it gives the minority more influence over the Presidential Election not because more people agree with Conservative politics but rather Conservatives just spread themselves out better than the majority voters?
    Why should where you live matter if we are a United States?
    Thank you

  7. #7
    Jokes Are a Cry For Help.
    CMPancake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,513
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why the Electoral College exists.

    Quote Originally Posted by akyron View Post
    Why should where you live matter if we are a United States?
    That's exactly my point. Why do Republican voters (the minority in the 2016 election) get to decide the Presidential election while the majority of voters are punished just simply testament to the fact they live in large, dense areas?
    The GOP loves standards. They love standards so much, they got two of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I say that he [Trump] is the most honest guy to come down the pike in a very long while.

  8. #8
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    08-06-18 @ 11:05 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,161

    Re: Why the Electoral College exists.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    It wasn't left up to the people of each state. But their legislatures. The people had their say in how the Federal government was run by electing their legislatures and Representatives into office. IE: The Senators and Congressmen. It was up to the States to decide who to elect to enforce the will of the People. That is how the member States kept their control of how the Government was run. The people were never meant to elect the President. Just the Senators and Congressmen. It was another part of the Checks and Balances that was made into the current US Constitution. A way to make sure that the Executive Branch was not stronger than the Legislative Branch and the Judicial Branch. And visa versa all around.

    There is of course a bit more to it. This is just the watered down version but enough is in there to explain why we have the EC.

    In summary: We the People get to decide how our government is run via the Legislative Branch of our government by electing the Senators and Congressmen. The States gets to decide who to pick to execute the laws that is made by the Senate and House of Representatives. We are not One Country. We are several Member States acting in concert for the defense of all.
    Prior to the passage of the 17th Amendment, Senators were elected by State assemblies, not popular vote. So it was removed even one more step.
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,968

    Re: Why the Electoral College exists.

    Quote Originally Posted by akyron View Post
    Its also nice that a couple of dense population centers do not get to hold the other 90% of the country hostage with whatever coyote acme scheme they come up with.
    Priceless!
    Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book has been rewritten, every picture has been repainted, ...every date has been altered. And that process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right. -George Orwell

  10. #10
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-19-18 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,899

    Re: Why the Electoral College exists.

    Quote Originally Posted by CMPancake View Post
    That's exactly my point. Why do Republican voters (the minority in the 2016 election) get to decide the Presidential election while the majority of voters are punished just simply testament to the fact they live in large, dense areas?
    Ahh so not getting your way each and every time is being punished? Welcome to life man. It can be a shocker.
    Thank you

Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •