Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: The Peoples Use Of Their Right - 9th AMD

  1. #1
    Student
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Seen
    11-26-18 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    254

    The Peoples Use Of Their Right - 9th AMD

    I've determined over the years that their seems to be great intimidation among the people at even discussing their 9th Amendment right, and how to use it. There is basically a great deal of confusion about what it is for. Unfortunately this is somewhat consistent across the spectrum of our rights.

    Basically, there is almost no sense of an ability to use any of our rights for a specific purpose, nor is there a common acceptance of the notion that rights have a vital purpose in defending and enforcing the constitution itself. No one really talks about how to use them.

    This thread is to gather opinion upon the proposition that the 9th Amendment may be the most important right of all. If so, what is it for, how do we use it?

  2. #2
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,392

    Re: The Peoples Use Of Their Right - 9th AMD

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisABrown View Post
    I've determined over the years that their seems to be great intimidation among the people at even discussing their 9th Amendment right, and how to use it. There is basically a great deal of confusion about what it is for. Unfortunately this is somewhat consistent across the spectrum of our rights.

    Basically, there is almost no sense of an ability to use any of our rights for a specific purpose, nor is there a common acceptance of the notion that rights have a vital purpose in defending and enforcing the constitution itself. No one really talks about how to use them.

    This thread is to gather opinion upon the proposition that the 9th Amendment may be the most important right of all. If so, what is it for, how do we use it?
    And what do you say falls under the 9th amendment?

  3. #3
    Student
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Seen
    11-26-18 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    254

    Re: The Peoples Use Of Their Right - 9th AMD

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    And what do you say falls under the 9th amendment?
    Hmm, that is a pretty common reaction, but the language is simple.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninth Amendment
    - Unenumerated Rights
    The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
    It clearly includes everything not listed in the constitution, but the question is WHY?

  4. #4
    Classical Liberal Sage
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    10,638
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Peoples Use Of Their Right - 9th AMD

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisABrown View Post
    Hmm, that is a pretty common reaction, but the language is simple.

    It clearly includes everything not listed in the constitution, but the question is WHY?
    Why does it include "everything not listed," or why didn't they list everything they thought were such rights?

    The people who advocated for the Bill of Rights had suffered through eight years of war against a powerful centralized government.

    Prior to that, decades of abuses by British officials, nobles, and soldiers.

    Despite the positive aspects of union, they were rightly concerned about the abuses that a centralized authority distant from the People might eventually impose.

    They listed those rights which usually get suppressed first to the advantage of central authority.

    1. Freedom of Religion and Expression. The story of the Pilgrims, Quakers, and other religious sects; English law that even today allows censorship of just about anything the Government desires to quash.

    2. Right to keep and bear arms. The wherewithal to rise up and oppose tyranny and invasion, rather than be meekly compelled by government's monopoly on force to oppress without opposition.

    3. Quartering Soldiers. This was a common practice of the English Crown, force citizens to house and feed soldiers for free.

    4. Etc...

    The point of those first 8 Amendments was to address problems they had first-hand experience with.

    The 9th allowed for future generations to determine if anything else should be prevented based on Government's attempt to encroach or abuse them.
    Last edited by Captain Adverse; 10-24-17 at 08:41 PM.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,392

    Re: The Peoples Use Of Their Right - 9th AMD

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisABrown View Post
    Hmm, that is a pretty common reaction, but the language is simple.



    It clearly includes everything not listed in the constitution, but the question is WHY?
    I'm asking for specific examples of what is not listed that you think is a right

  6. #6
    Student
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Seen
    11-26-18 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    254

    Re: The Peoples Use Of Their Right - 9th AMD

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    Why does it include "everything not listed," or why didn't they list everything they thought were such rights?

    The 9th allowed for future generations to determine if anything else should be prevented based on Government's attempt to encroach or abuse them
    Good job of answering your own question.

    I could paraphrase.

    The 9th allows for vital adaptations to changing conditions.

    And the reasons or purposes served by listed rights is also well assembled.

    Thanks!

    Now the final query.

    How can we state Citizens use the ninth?

  7. #7
    Student
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Seen
    11-26-18 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    254

    Re: The Peoples Use Of Their Right - 9th AMD

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    I'm asking for specific examples of what is not listed that you think is a right
    Well, I could do that, but the idea is to try and promote critical thinking on this issue.

    The 9th is related to the definition of un-a-lien-able rights. Or guaranteeing the right to list them. But the methods for listing them are not clearly defined which has made it difficult for Citizens to conceive of exactly how to do that.

    In that vacuum, it appears that the Supreme Court has taken advantage of the lack of definition to try and assume the role of defining them.

    Let us take a definition of a right from the Declaration of Independence (DOI) "the right to alter or abolish government destructive to unalienable rights"(paraphrased). The DOI is not law, but the Constitution has Article V which could serve that vital purpose.

    But how do state Cituzens use that, and what could the 9th have do do with using Article V?

  8. #8
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    12-07-18 @ 06:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,362

    Re: The Peoples Use Of Their Right - 9th AMD

    I would say the broader purpose of the 9th is to affirm that all rights (not just those enumerated) belong to the People, and that to impose restriction on any course of action of any individual, the burden is not on the citizen to prove why he should have this right, but on government to prove why he should not.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #9
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,392

    Re: The Peoples Use Of Their Right - 9th AMD

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisABrown View Post
    Well, I could do that, but the idea is to try and promote critical thinking on this issue.

    The 9th is related to the definition of un-a-lien-able rights. Or guaranteeing the right to list them. But the methods for listing them are not clearly defined which has made it difficult for Citizens to conceive of exactly how to do that.

    In that vacuum, it appears that the Supreme Court has taken advantage of the lack of definition to try and assume the role of defining them.

    Let us take a definition of a right from the Declaration of Independence (DOI) "the right to alter or abolish government destructive to unalienable rights"(paraphrased). The DOI is not law, but the Constitution has Article V which could serve that vital purpose.

    But how do state Cituzens use that, and what could the 9th have do do with using Article V?
    "But how do state Cituzens use that"

    Its explained in article 5

    "what could the 9th have do do with using Article V?"

    Nothing at all.

    Have you figured out a right that falls under the 9th amendment yet?

    The 9th amendment is mostly a historical curiosity. Everything that is a right has mostly been defined or derived from another part of the document and what hasnt has already been written off as a privilege

  10. #10
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    07-21-18 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: The Peoples Use Of Their Right - 9th AMD

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisABrown View Post
    Well, I could do that, but the idea is to try and promote critical thinking on this issue.

    The 9th is related to the definition of un-a-lien-able rights. Or guaranteeing the right to list them. But the methods for listing them are not clearly defined which has made it difficult for Citizens to conceive of exactly how to do that.

    In that vacuum, it appears that the Supreme Court has taken advantage of the lack of definition to try and assume the role of defining them.

    Let us take a definition of a right from the Declaration of Independence (DOI) "the right to alter or abolish government destructive to unalienable rights"(paraphrased). The DOI is not law, but the Constitution has Article V which could serve that vital purpose.

    But how do state Cituzens use that, and what could the 9th have do do with using Article V?
    Good grief man, if you have a point, get to it already. This twenty questions nonsense is annoying.
    Progressivism, ideas so good, they have to be mandatory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •