• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

To All In The Paths Of Hurricanes Please Read This For 2024

I've seen the damage left behind after Katrina/Rita and Ike as a disaster volunteer. We also lived in Florida during Irma.
My heart goes out esp to those living in mobile homes.
Buckle up, hurricanes are to be feared.
So are tornadoes.

Consider the source. It isn't as if the Houston Chronicle is even remotely credible. :rolleyes:

The only time there have been more than 20 named storms during the last 173 years was in 2005. Your source is seriously over-hyping the recorded data, citing only the most extreme years.

When looking at the actual data it shows the frequency of Atlantic hurricanes making landfall has declined slightly, while the number of hurricanes that are Category 3 and above has increased slightly.

View attachment 67501633

Ignoring hurricanes that make landfall and looking at all hurricanes over the last ~40 years the number of overall hurricanes has declined slightly, while the number of major hurricanes has increased slightly.

View attachment 67501634
I'll get back to you in November, and I will have been happy to have been wrong.

April 4, 2024 - The Colorado State University Tropical Meteorology Project team predicts an “extremely active” Atlantic hurricane season. The team forecasts 23 named storms, including 11 hurricanes, five of which will be major hurricanes.

I'll get back to you in November, and I will have been happy to have been wrong.

April 4, 2024 - The Colorado State University Tropical Meteorology Project team predicts an “extremely active” Atlantic hurricane season. The team forecasts 23 named storms, including 11 hurricanes, five of which will be major hurricanes.

Yes, please do. Just the same, if it is a fail, what will you believe? Even if it is accurate within acceptable error margins, we are getting better at predicting the natural variability. The final question is, did we really cause it, or is it simply the natural changes ion solar insolation. Which has by the by, been increasing.

What range of error do you think is adequate? I am good with 20% for such a prediction.

It's probably impossible to know this far in advance exactly what will happen with hurricanes the rest of the year, but we can assume that over time, with warmer waters and atmospheric temps, there's going to be more forceful evaporation and the atmosphere's going to hold more moisture before it finally comes down as rainfall. Our future is hurricanes that have more energy and more rainfall, particularly in the late summer months when storms begin to form off the Western Coast of Africa, but also even in the Gulf of Mexico.

I wonder how many years before property insurers completely pull out of Gulf Coast and lower to Mid-Atlantic states. That's my immediate concern, because if the private underwriters move out, that puts the entire burden on taxpayers and homeowners. I kinda doubt the State of Florida would have the money to rebuild and reinsure Floridians throttled by a Cat-5 hurricane that bulls its way across South or Central Florida.
(y) (y) (y)

The second paragraph is more important. Insurers are leaving gulf coast states. It's a very real crisis. If you have a federally-backed loan, you must have insurance. The insurance companies want to abandon high-risk areas altogether but those homeowners they don't abandon, they charge the shit out of.

Climate crises --> uninsurable property --> inflation --> food crisis --> more inflation

The second paragraph is more important. Insurers are leaving gulf coast states. It's a very real crisis. If you have a federally-backed loan, you must have insurance. The insurance companies want to abandon high-risk areas altogether but those homeowners they don't abandon, they charge the shit out of.

Climate crises --> uninsurable property --> inflation --> food crisis --> more inflation
Yes, it has been a crisis for years. My parents moved to South Florida in 1996 and could not get insurance from any major carrier. They were forced to go with some type of multi-provider policy, and they lived 25 miles from the coast. I was insured by State Farm only because I had been with them since the 80's, but they weren't issuing new policies in my area even in 1996. It has just become progressively worse.

There are inland areas in South Florida that no one would even dare visit when I lived there that are now being gentrified because people who lived on the coast are moving there. It is forcing lower income people out of their homes. It is called "Climate Gentrification". Take a look at the article. This is some scary stuff.

Climate Gentrification’ Will Displace One Million People in Miami Alone

Yes, it has been a crisis for years. My parents moved to South Florida in 1996 and could not get insurance from any major carrier. They were forced to go with some type of multi-provider policy, and they lived 25 miles from the coast. I was insured by State Farm only because I had been with them since the 80's, but they weren't issuing new policies in my area even in 1996. It has just become progressively worse.

There are inland areas in South Florida that no one would even dare visit when I lived there that are now being gentrified because people who lived on the coast are moving there. It is forcing lower income people out of their homes. It is called "Climate Gentrification". Take a look at the article. This is some scary stuff.

Climate Gentrification’ Will Displace One Million People in Miami Alone

That is our future.

As if a landlocked State had a clue what weather conditions in the Atlantic would be like. Next you will be trying to sell oceanfront property in South Dakota. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is that if they used the same criteria to name storms as they did in say 1970, how many named storms would there be?
Because the criteria for a tropical cyclone to become a named storm has change several time, statements
about the number of named storms, mean little.

The odds of a hurricane hitting a certain section of coast in any given year do not really change.
True but last year it was said the future will show more storms moving toward the east coast. I don't recall the source or time slot.

True but last year it was said the future will show more storms moving toward the east coast. I don't recall the source or time slot.
Highly subjective, but even if true, would increase the number of fish storms.
Once they start curving north, many continue curving to the North East and out to sea.

How many times do predictions actually come true?

I thought this would be the case with the waters warming up. Personally, I am evacuating if it is as bad as predicted. I live in Houston.
For me personally it depends on the storm and the category. I have been in the path of more hurricanes then I can remember as I live ten miles from the gulf coast. I evacuated during Hurricane Katrina, because at the time I lived at sea level and within 1000 yards of the gulf. If I had lived where I do now just ten miles from the coast, I would not have evacuated as I am nearly 200 feet above sea level and not that prone to floods. I will now only evacuate if it's mandatory or devastating wind damage is predicted, along the lines of what happened with Hurricane Andrew many years ago. On the other hand if one lives in Houston, a simple tropical storm can be devasting.

For me personally it depends on the storm and the category. I have been in the path of more hurricanes then I can remember as I live ten miles from the gulf coast. I evacuated during Hurricane Katrina, because at the time I lived at sea level and within 1000 yards of the gulf. If I had lived where I do now just ten miles from the coast, I would not have evacuated as I am nearly 200 feet above sea level and not that prone to floods. I will now only evacuate if it's mandatory or devastating wind damage is predicted, along the lines of what happened with Hurricane Andrew many years ago. On the other hand if one lives in Houston, a simple tropical storm can be devasting.
I do not agree, and live in Houston, I am not worried about tropical storms.
My concern is the wind, as I am above the Storm Surge level.
Cat 4 and higher, and I am not hanging around.

I do not agree, and live in Houston, I am not worried about tropical storms.
Fair enough. I am about 500 miles from Houston and was simply basing my thoughts on what I had heard in the news.
My concern is the wind, as I am above the Storm Surge level.
Cat 4 and higher, and I am not hanging around.
Same here. Though for Katrina, storm surge was an issue where I lived at the time. I lost my roof in the aftermath.

Fair enough. I am about 500 miles from Houston and was simply basing my thoughts on what I had heard in the news.

Same here. Though for Katrina, storm surge was an issue where I lived at the time. I lost my roof in the aftermath.
Harvey dropped 48 inches of rain at my house between Saturday Morning and Sunday Evening, and I did not flood.
I am fairly confident, I will not get flooded from a rainfall event.
I know Harvey flooded 20% of the homes in Houston, but that really means that 80% of the homes did not flood.
I think the flood control system worked amazing!
As I said Wind in my big concern, Ike passed directly over my house,( I went out to clean out the storm drains during the eye),
so I think I am ok up to about 110 mph.

I've flown rescue missions in both a hurricane in North America and in typhoons in Asia. Frankly, the degree of wind and wet is relative to how the situation places a given individual, family, group, etc. in danger. Meaning, it might be a weak hurricane, typhoon, cyclone; but the situation at any given time or place could be dangerous.

Then there is the property damage assessments and insurance company assessments and so on.

That's how I used to view the situation - - - save humans - - - then worry about the other stuff.

So the increase in ferocity of any given storm should only be a worry for the "other stuff" IF the humans in the path are smart and follow certain procedures for staying out of harm's way. (If you can get farm animals/herds to safety, that's good.)

Well, I have in the back of my mind that hurricanes and the like are not tornado, earthquake, volcano in how fast they create havoc. Maybe the tornado does provide a tad bit more warning than an earthquake, in many cases; but not all.

Back
Top Bottom