• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Students feel ashamed to be white while reading an assigned book. Why is that a bad thing?

Probably depends how closely you define it.

I am going to guess more than 0 and less than many
So then is it White America or is it just how most cultures are... try in school, professionals, teachers, parents, loans, working, breaking laws, dealing with traffic laws, etc. This happens in Japan, England, New Zealand, Finland, Algeria, etc.

Why are white people to blame when in Japan or Algeria or Argentina it is not white people, but the same problems exist?

It’s morally wrong.

All of this. Why should anyone be ashamed or feel guilty for what people did in the past? You should feel guilt and shame when YOU do something wrong, not when someone who looks like you does something wrong.
Exactly. People who read history and feel personal guilt have the wrong perspective, which kinda undermines the whole "guilt" argument in the first place.

My ancestors did some stuff wrong. It happened and its not my personal problem to feel guilty over.

People need a more resilient mindset and thicker skin.

I understand Post #226 was a difficult one to answer, @The Mark

So then is it White America or is it just how most cultures are... try in school, professionals, teachers, parents, loans, working, breaking laws, dealing with traffic laws, etc. This happens in Japan, England, New Zealand, Finland, Algeria, etc.

Why are white people to blame when in Japan or Algeria or Argentina it is not white people, but the same problems exist?
Are they? I thought we were talking about the USA.

I understand Post #226 was a difficult one to answer, @The Mark
Actually, I entirely forgot about this thread until now.

The location is USA the topic is International.

So did I. LOL
Perhaps I was not precise enough, earlier, when I claimed that - "white America" is a culture, not a race.

It may or may not extend beyond the borders of the USA, I don't know.

We can be arrogant ****wits sometimes, and many forget that "America" can apply to anywhere on two entire continents.

Edit: I don't have a precise definition for what that culture is, but I suspect that's similar with all cultures, unless you drill down to a crazy degree.
In my head, it's some combo of things built up over centuries of being the dominant culture in most places of the USA, for better or worse, and justifiably or not.
That kind of thing builds up arrogance so strong it leads to some few people thinking they're being wronged when they face consequences for their actions.

The more I try to define this the less clear it becomes.

Last edited:
"A South Carolina teacher was reported by her students for teaching Ta-Nehisi Coates’ Between the World and Me. According to the Washington Post, English teacher Mary Wood sought to teach her all-white class about what it means to be Black in America using Coates’ literature. However, she was reported by two of her students. They notified the school board that Wood was attempting to discuss race in the classroom.

“The students wrote in emails that the book made them ashamed to be white,” the outlet documented. “[Her lesson] violated a South Carolina proviso that forbids teachers from making students’ feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress’ on account of their race.”

Students also expressed that reading Coates’ book felt like “reading hate propaganda towards white people.” “I understand in AP Lang we are learning to develop an argument and have evidence to support it, yet this topic is too heavy to discuss,” another student wrote to the board. “I actually felt ashamed to be Caucasian.”"

Link

Rather than repress this feeling, it would be very healthy for students to explore that feeling and how they might overcome it. What it's like to walk in another person's shoes leads to personal growth, which is what education is all about. It's an important reason why we read literature.

They probably felt like they were being recruited for a cult. That type of shame is abuse.

Should Palestinians feel ashamed to be Palestines?

WTF kinda whiny little snowflake reads history or literature and then cries it makes them '"ashamed" of their race? Jesus conservatives are a pack of giant ****ing sissies. Harden the **** up already.

"A South Carolina teacher was reported by her students for teaching Ta-Nehisi Coates’ Between the World and Me. According to the Washington Post, English teacher Mary Wood sought to teach her all-white class about what it means to be Black in America using Coates’ literature. However, she was reported by two of her students. They notified the school board that Wood was attempting to discuss race in the classroom.

“The students wrote in emails that the book made them ashamed to be white,” the outlet documented. “[Her lesson] violated a South Carolina proviso that forbids teachers from making students’ feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress’ on account of their race.”

Students also expressed that reading Coates’ book felt like “reading hate propaganda towards white people.” “I understand in AP Lang we are learning to develop an argument and have evidence to support it, yet this topic is too heavy to discuss,” another student wrote to the board. “I actually felt ashamed to be Caucasian.”"

Link

Rather than repress this feeling, it would be very healthy for students to explore that feeling and how they might overcome it. What it's like to walk in another person's shoes leads to personal growth, which is what education is all about. It's an important reason why we read literature.
The answer to your question is in your link...

It's against the rules

The "experts" decided that things that are offensive are not allowed to be taught to students.

WTF kinda whiny little snowflake reads history or literature and then cries it makes them '"ashamed" of their race? Jesus conservatives are a pack of giant ****ing sissies. Harden the **** up already.

That'll teach em.

Back
Top Bottom