• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Something good out of Florida, left lane driving will be restricted

Safiel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right

Not everything out of Florida is bad.

😄

The Florida Legislature has passed a bill to allow troopers to ticket people who hog the left lane on interstate highways.

Right now, the person who has to pass the morons on the right is at jeopardy of receiving a ticket for doing so.

Now the tickets will go to whom they rightly belong, the left lane hogs.

😄

The Florida Legislature has passed a bill to allow troopers to ticket people who hog the left lane on interstate highways.

Right now, the person who has to pass the morons on the right is at jeopardy of receiving a ticket for doing so.

my assumption is a ticket for remaining in the fast lane only applies if that driver is traveling below the posted speed limit?

my assumption is a ticket for remaining in the fast lane only applies if that driver is traveling below the posted speed limit?
That would make the maximum speed the minimum speed.
My guess would be that if you're not actually passing someone you need to move over.

That would make the maximum speed the minimum speed.
only if there was conjoining traffic traveling at or above the posted speed limit (maximum legal speed)
My guess would be that if you're not actually passing someone you need to move over.
however, a quandary has now been created

if the slow driver in the fast lane is driving at the posted speed limit
to drive faster to observe the new proposed law would force them to exceed the legal speed limit

only if there was conjoining traffic traveling at or above the posted speed limit (maximum legal speed)

to drive faster to observe the new proposed law would force them to exceed the legal speed limit
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it seems like just being in the fast lane is the problem, no matter what your speed, if you're not actually passing someone. If you're passing someone who is doing the speed limit in the right lane you're speeding and the ticket would say so but if you're speeding in the left lane and not passing someone you get two tickets.
In other words, if the speed limit is 110 KPH and someone is doing 60 KPH in the right I could pass him at 90 KPH and not be breaking the law.
My take.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it seems like just being in the fast lane is the problem, no matter what your speed, if you're not actually passing someone. If you're passing someone who is doing the speed limit in the right lane you're speeding and the ticket would say so but if you're speeding in the left lane and not passing someone you get two tickets.
In other words, if the speed limit is 110 KPH and someone is doing 60 KPH in the right I could pass him at 90 KPH and not be breaking the law.
My take.
hence the quandary
being ticketed for not exceeding the posted legal speed limit

hence the quandary
being ticketed for not exceeding the posted legal speed limit

A driver can avoid this quandary by avoiding the left lane except when passing and by staying alert. If there is a driver coming up behind them in the left lane, regardless of speed, they now have a legal obligation to yield the left lane as quickly as it is safely possible to do.

A driver can avoid this quandary by avoiding the left lane except when passing and by staying alert. If there is a driver coming up behind them in the left lane, regardless of speed, they now have a legal obligation to yield the left lane as quickly as it is safely possible to do.
more quandary
the driver in the slow lane beside the car in the fast lane is also dialed into the cruise control at the posted speed of 55
"quickly" probably is not the adverb to be used to describe the period required for a safe movement into the slow lane in that scenario

People around here just don't get the rules of roundabouts. 😄
around here, they don't know how to design/build them

the first one in my burg was installed at a "T" intersection

the road that is not along the straight line is a short stub residential street which is a dead end

in about the 15 years i have driven that road i only recently saw a car exit onto that residential dead end "T"

note: the points i am making in this thread are those of my wife when, as a passenger, i am unable to convince her that she should not be in the fast lane doing only the posted speed limit. she is the driver i hate to be behind. her positions are (a) she is driving at the top of the legal speed; and (b) she pays taxes on both lanes. feel my pain

my daughter in law is the only person i have ever known to have been pulled over for driving too slow. she got a warning

We have that in Texas. Doesn't really mean anything. I guess two lane farm to market highways it might help, but try that on a freeway and we will eat your...attitude. Same for multilane city or suburban roads, because its busy and people are turning left.

No, they can just move to the right

That nor the law actually work when there's traffic.

😄

The law is great, but will they enforce it? We have the same law in Washington but it doesn’t stop this kind of behavior.

There are way too many cars on the road for it to make sense to bar left lane travel anywhere near a significant population. It's already a nightmare driving on 93 around Boston most of the time. Basically remove one lane and it'll be even worse.

What should be the rule is that you get ticketed if you go under the speed limit in the left lane. Hell, ticket people for not going at least 10mph more than the posted limit in left lanes.

😄

Why should anyone get a ticket? Pass on whichever side.

Wisconsin did this ages ago and it worked out well.

There are way too many cars on the road for it to make sense to bar left lane travel anywhere near a significant population. It's already a nightmare driving on 93 around Boston most of the time. Basically remove one lane and it'll be even worse.

What should be the rule is that you get ticketed if you go under the speed limit in the left lane. Hell, ticket people for not going at least 10mph more than the posted limit in left lanes.
The left line is for crimes.

Back
Top Bottom