• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nearly 200 abused corpses were found at a funeral home. Why did it take authorities years to act?

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

DENVER (AP) — A county coroner reported suspicions about bodies being poorly treated by a Colorado funeral home more than three years before nearly 200 decomposing bodies were discovered inside a decrepit building in October, according to newly unsealed court documents that raise questions about how the mistreatment of corpses was able to continue for so long.

The concerns raised by the Fremont County coroner also included worries about the improper refrigeration of bodies and were reported to a state agency in 2020, according to the arrest affidavits for Return to Nature Funeral Home owners Jon and Carie Hallford. But the coroner received no response from the state agency, which has long struggled to effectively oversee the funeral home industry, according to the documents.

Colorado has some of the weakest rules for funeral homes in the nation with no routine inspections or qualification requirements for funeral home operators. The Hallfords allegedly stored bodies as far back as 2019, and the count grew over the next four years, as prosecutors claim they used the money they were taking from grieving families for lavish expenses.
=========================================================
This is one reason why my body goes to science. After all, I won't need it anymore & few people will miss me when I'm gone.

I was overnighting in Des Moines & was having dinner on the main street near the IA state capitol building. A wel-dressed man asked to join me for dinner. He turned out to be a funeral director. He was not pleased when I told him my plans for after life.

DENVER (AP) — A county coroner reported suspicions about bodies being poorly treated by a Colorado funeral home more than three years before nearly 200 decomposing bodies were discovered inside a decrepit building in October, according to newly unsealed court documents that raise questions about how the mistreatment of corpses was able to continue for so long.

The concerns raised by the Fremont County coroner also included worries about the improper refrigeration of bodies and were reported to a state agency in 2020, according to the arrest affidavits for Return to Nature Funeral Home owners Jon and Carie Hallford. But the coroner received no response from the state agency, which has long struggled to effectively oversee the funeral home industry, according to the documents.

Colorado has some of the weakest rules for funeral homes in the nation with no routine inspections or qualification requirements for funeral home operators. The Hallfords allegedly stored bodies as far back as 2019, and the count grew over the next four years, as prosecutors claim they used the money they were taking from grieving families for lavish expenses.
This is one reason why my body goes to science. After all, I won't need it anymore & few people will miss me when I'm gone.

I was overnighting in Des Moines & was having dinner on the main street near the IA state capitol building. A wel-dressed man asked to join me for dinner. He turned out to be a funeral director. He was not pleased when I told him my plans for after life.
Who cares about "abused corpses" ????

The dead could care less, and the living probably don;t either....................
I mean, it's strange and pathetic how we get upset over an "abused corpse, yet 80 million will likely vote for a guy that abused LIVE women......?????????????

Meh. I suppose they should follow up on this because of the emotional implications for the families. At the same time though, as far as how long it took the authorities, this isn't exactly a house fire situation that calls for immediate investigations and swift justice for the perpetrators. I'm guessing they probably had more society-impacting cases to work on first, where victims were harmed by more than just hurt emotions. That's not meant to seem cold hearted, just utilitarian.

Back
Top Bottom