• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fulton Co's Judge McAfee's 'May Election' - May Cause More DA Willis's Trial Problems?

ouch

Air Muscle
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This one is a head scratcher - what problems may arise with both judge McAfee running for election in May and also what happens if he loses this election and how far along might this trial be before he had to leave. As if DA Willis isn't currently battling enough slobber covered spit balls and now this.

1709672977108.png
McAfee was appointed to the bench in 2023 by Brian Kemp, Georgia's Republican governor, to fill a vacancy and must run for election this year.

"Presumably, Judge McAfee will run for reelection, which may add a whole new dimension to the past few weeks of theatrics in the Fulton County case," Vance wrote.

His campaign website says: "Scott is running for election in 2024 so that he can continue serving our community by clearing the COVID backlog, giving everyone their fair day in court, and keeping our community safe."

This one is a head scratcher - what problems may arise with both judge McAfee running for election in May and also what happens if he loses this election and how far along might this trial be before he had to leave. As if DA Willis isn't currently battling enough slobber covered spit balls and now this.

View attachment 67496575
McAfee was appointed to the bench in 2023 by Brian Kemp, Georgia's Republican governor, to fill a vacancy and must run for election this year.

"Presumably, Judge McAfee will run for reelection, which may add a whole new dimension to the past few weeks of theatrics in the Fulton County case," Vance wrote.

His campaign website says: "Scott is running for election in 2024 so that he can continue serving our community by clearing the COVID backlog, giving everyone their fair day in court, and keeping our community safe."
He was appointed by Kemp but he’s in a very heavily Democratic district and it’s not likely he’s going to win if he rules in favor of Trump’s attorneys. Fulton County residents see it as her and Wade being railroaded

He was appointed by Kemp but he’s in a very heavily Democratic district and it’s not likely he’s going to win if he rules in favor of Trump’s attorneys. Fulton County residents see it as her and Wade being railroaded
Fulton county residents most likely don’t even think about this except a handful of politically active leftists.

For the sake of democracy, lets hope that your statement holds correct.

There hasn't been an official political designation about Judge McAfee, but have read that he's suspected to be closer to being democratic.

His opponent, in which wasn't publicly known until only a couple days after this thread's posting, hasn't gone after judge McAfee - yet. Mr Patillo, an experienced attorney who worked at the Fulton Co Courthouse, has made it clear that he's running for this position to better the system, in which I'm assuming to also mean bettering Fulton Co Corrections.

1710269566988.png

With that said, it's my opinion that judge McAfee is as fair and honorable as they come in GA and that there isn't any need to cause further disruptions of RICO case trial in Fulton Co GA. My concern also lies with when a new judge begins their term on the calendar. So far, it appears to be Feb 1.

“Judge McAfee is a fine young man, I’ve met him before. I’ve spoken with him before, he has a great record, I have no aspersions cast against him, I just simply think I can do a better job in this position,” said Patillo.

“I think that the same way that Donald Trump’s case can suddenly get to the front of the line and get to trial within six months, then your case or my case or anyone we know, their cases should be able to get to the front of the line in six months,” he said. “They deserve the same level of justice as a millionaire or billionaire.”

Patillo also wants to create more vocational education programs for young offenders returning into society. To clear up Fulton County’ illustrious case backlog — something McAfee has also expressed a desire to do with a full term –— Patillo said he would give prosecutors three chances to bring a crime to trial or it would be dropped.

“If you’re practicing in the Fulton County Courthouse for 15 years, you start seeing a lot of issues in the Fulton County Courthouse,” he said. “Defendants are waiting for trial for five, six, seven years before they come up.”

This Fulton Co judge made sure that folks listening to his unusual radio interview that he's judging this case straight to assure his young children that he did. Gov Kemp did good to appoint this one.

May 21 is the date for his election.

WYNTER: Do you feel that Patillo’s run is being backed by Fani Willis… that this is a pressure campaign to force you to, and I’m doing air quotes, ‘do the right thing’ or ‘make the right right decision’? Do you feel that way?

MCAFEE: No… I think he seems sincere, so I’m not the type that I’m going to presume the worst of that sort… The biggest thing that I wanted to come on and make sure I told you today is that even if it is, it doesn’t matter because it is absolutely not going to play into my decision in any way.

No job is worth my integrity and, you know, when you ask that question what I think about is, you know, I’ve got two kids – five and three. They’re too young to have any idea of what’s going on or what I do. But what I’m looking forward to one day is maybe they will grow up a little bit and they ask me about it. And I’m looking forward to looking them in the eye and telling them I played it straight and I did the best I could.

This Fulton Co judge made sure that folks listening to his unusual radio interview that he's judging this case straight to assure his young children that he did. Gov Kemp did good to appoint this one.

May 21 is the date for his election.

I suspect he looked for someone moderate and even in his rulings he’s new to Fulton co

Back
Top Bottom