• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Coyotes be warned. Go after pup Roxie, you will be dumpster bound and dispatched

Chock Full o Nuts

Voting for Pedro!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Tim ain't having it. Just taking out the trash.
Appears the coyote is kind of dumbfounded. Figure it would be thrashing, trying to fight back.
But just seems like "Wait, this isn't how it was supposed to go down.. Where the **** you takin' me?" :LOL:

Hear those rabies shots are no fun, but turned out to be necessary here.

Appears the coyote is kind of dumbfounded. Figure it would be thrashing, trying to fight back.
But just seems like "Wait, this isn't how it was supposed to go down.. Where the **** you takin' me?" :LOL:

Mocking a sick, dying animal? If you were in the last throes of rabies I'm willing to bet you'd be dumbfounded too.
My dog and I came across a very sick raccoon while we were out for our morning walk not long ago, it was just sitting still on a lawn in the middle of the day. Came back about an hour later and it was still in the same spot. Started to approach but it still wouldn't/couldn't move. About then a patrol car came up and, after a brief talk with the LEO, we left. Not sure if the animal was rabid but it sure was a sorry sight to see. :(

Mocking a sick, dying animal? If you were in the last throes of rabies I'm willing to bet you'd be dumbfounded too.
My dog and I came across a very sick raccoon while we were out for our morning walk not long ago, it was just sitting still on a lawn in the middle of the day. Came back about an hour later and it was still in the same spot. Started to approach but it still wouldn't/couldn't move. About then a patrol car came up and, after a brief talk with the LEO, we left. Not sure if the animal was rabid but it sure was a sorry sight to see. :(
Rabid or not, that mutt would be coming after your pup given the chance regardless. **** coyotes.
What would your view be if you just watched your dog get mauled by one; or three?

Damn, that man must be mighty strong. I mean, carry that rabid coyote and those huge ..ah..testicles of his at the same time! :)

He (later) bought a vest to protect his little dog from coyotes, but the article said the coyote bit his dog’s leg (which isn’t protected by the vest).

He (later) bought a vest to protect his little dog from coyotes, but the article said the coyote bit his dog’s leg (which isn’t protected by the vest).
Bit his leg, not the dogs. Those vests are made to provide main body protection, which is what that predator is going to be aiming for.

Rabid or not, that mutt would be coming after your pup given the chance regardless. **** coyotes.
What would your view be if you just watched your dog get mauled by one; or three?
Don't respond to counterfactual/rhetorical questions, but thanks for revealing the reason you mocked a sick and dying animal. The risks of coyote attacks on dogs are small.
Will Coyotes Attack Dogs?
Attacking coyotes are more rare than common, and most attacks occur in winter, which is the breeding time for coyotes.
Most attacks are on small dogs. An attack on a small dog or puppy might be for food (yes, coyotes will eat dogs), but in general, predators prefer to eat prey animals, not other predators like another canine. Considering how many coyotes and dogs are coexisting in most areas, the risk is low in general.

Don't respond to counterfactual/rhetorical questions, but thanks for revealing the reason you mocked a sick and dying animal.
As I said, they are opportunists, rabid or not. If your dog or cat is an opportunity, they're on it. They are not turning it down because it 'just doesn't sound good right now'. "Eh, I'm feeling like duck for dinner.."
The risks of coyote attacks on dogs are small.
Will Coyotes Attack Dogs?
Attacking coyotes are more rare than common, and most attacks occur in winter, which is the breeding time for coyotes.
Most attacks are on small dogs. An attack on a small dog or puppy might be for food (yes, coyotes will eat dogs), but in general, predators prefer to eat prey animals, not other predators like another canine. Considering how many coyotes and dogs are coexisting in most areas, the risk is low in general.
Tell that to the constant instances around me of signs up for lost small animals, and quite a few instances of hearing word of people's pets just gone. Not found dead, not turned up at a shelter; just gone..

They're all over here. I live in a well populated spot and have heard a group of them close by here and there. Friend of mine lives a little rural and is always out hunting them to help his older neighbor with the problem of them coming for his chickens. Can't take out enough of them. Over-run with them.

If they prefer wild prey, then stay there. You start coming into yards after pets, you're done. To the dumpster with your ass.

Kill all the coyotes you want. Their numbers have been increasing since 1492. I just don't think they're the hazard people make them out to be. They will kill cats and small dogs.

My cat was a stone killer. Birds, field mice, snakes, stood no chance against her. Predators are predators.

As I said, they are opportunists, rabid or not. If your dog or cat is an opportunity, they're on it. They are not turning it down because it 'just doesn't sound good right now'. "Eh, I'm feeling like duck for dinner.."
Aren't all animals opportunists? Humans even more so, whether rabid or not. ;)
Tell that to the constant instances around me of signs up for lost small animals, and quite a few instances of hearing word of people's pets just gone. Not found dead, not turned up at a shelter; just gone..
We've got that around here as well. Nobody is blaming coyotes though. Spent the last 12 tears as a volunteer at the local animal shelter, never heard of a single instance of a pet disappearing due to a coyote.
They're all over here. I live in a well populated spot and have heard a group of them close by here and there. Friend of mine lives a little rural and is always out hunting them to help his older neighbor with the problem of them coming for his chickens. Can't take out enough of them. Over-run with them.
Perhaps your municipality should do a better job with sanitation, after all coyotes are opportunists? Been seeing a fox around our neighborhood lately, once with a chicken carcass in his mouth. Since local ordinances ban the raising of poultry where do you think it came from, KFC left in an open trash bin maybe? :D
If they prefer wild prey, then stay there. You start coming into yards after pets, you're done. To the dumpster with your ass.
If they are coming into yards after pets then maybe humans have been depleting their natural food sources in the area? I had a small blind dog that I used to take on nature walks. The only other four-legged animal that ever came after her were other dogs let off leash by their irresponsible two-legged owners. (Our state has a mandatory leash law.)

Aren't all animals opportunists? Humans even more so, whether rabid or not. ;)
Yeah, already knew this would be in a response after I posted. Doesn't change the fact they'll eat your dog in a second given the chance.
We've got that around here as well. Nobody is blaming coyotes though. Spent the last 12 tears as a volunteer at the local animal shelter, never heard of a single instance of a pet disappearing due to a coyote.
Oh, I'd bet it has happened here and there, even though you didn't hear about it. Can't lay sure blame if you didn't witness, but what ever happened to Spot?
Perhaps your municipality should do a better job with sanitation, after all coyotes are opportunists? Been seeing a fox around our neighborhood lately, once with a chicken carcass in his mouth. Since local ordinances ban the raising of poultry where do you think it came from, KFC left in an open trash bin maybe? :D
Right, ban garbage! All trash must be immediately taken to the landfill once it leaves indoors. No trash cans or dumpsters!
If they are coming into yards after pets then maybe humans have been depleting their natural food sources in the area? I had a small blind dog that I used to take on nature walks. The only other four-legged animal that ever came after her were other dogs let off leash by their irresponsible two-legged owners. (Our state has a mandatory leash law.)
And of course it hasn't happened to  you. Me either. But it happened to this guy, and many others. The reports are out there.
Perhaps they are getting in too great of numbers and competing for resources leading them to come into neighborhoods in search of food.
Once they start getting accustomed to that, it's time to go. Time to thin out.

Think of me what you wish. I'm all for nature. But when nature comes for my Yorkie, you'll be dealt with. It's human nature!

You looked at a raccoon.

What an astounding display of compassion, and so humble in not taking any sense of superiority in your heartfelt concern! Why...an hour later you took advantage of happenstance to actually tell someone who might do something about that poor animal's suffering!

I'm certainly impressed.

Kill all the coyotes you want. Their numbers have been increasing since 1492. I just don't think they're the hazard people make them out to be. They will kill cats and small dogs.

My cat was a stone killer. Birds, field mice, snakes, stood no chance against her. Predators are predators.

"Numbers increasing" is almost an inadequate way to describe it. I go outside of an evening to enjoy a smoke, and their coyote songs come from all points of the compass many nights. I like hearing them. Seeing them- except on trailcam- is much rarer for me.

They will kill smaller dogs, cats, chickens, etc. They're hell on ground nesting birds as well. (Along with free roaming housecats.) Overall, a few precautions can usually protect one's pets and livestock. One of those precautions is keeping their numbers down to manageable levels though. My state has no real closed season for coyotes other than the several days of firearm deer season. That's more about deer poachers than coyotes. Otherwise, they can even be hunted at night for much of the year. And almost any means can be used to take them.

Was that story at DP yesterday or did I happen across it on youtube? LOL was funny.

"Numbers increasing" is almost an inadequate way to describe it. I go outside of an evening to enjoy a smoke, and their coyote songs come from all points of the compass many nights. I like hearing them. Seeing them- except on trailcam- is much rarer for me.

They will kill smaller dogs, cats, chickens, etc. They're hell on ground nesting birds as well. (Along with free roaming housecats.) Overall, a few precautions can usually protect one's pets and livestock. One of those precautions is keeping their numbers down to manageable levels though. My state has no real closed season for coyotes other than the several days of firearm deer season. That's more about deer poachers than coyotes. Otherwise, they can even be hunted at night for much of the year. And almost any means can be used to take them.
They estimate that there might be as many as 4,000 coyotes in Chicago.. in the city. Imagine how many there are in more rural areas.

1705863396500.png

We have an abundance of coyote here in western North Carolina. If they hang around my property too long, more than a few hours, they get shot.

But I saw the video and it reminded me of the above scene.

They are open season year round here as well.
I just recalled a personal instance from several years ago. Doing some work for some people that had a medium/small dog with a 'funny', raspy bark. Didn't sound right. Inquired...
Several months prior was let out to the backyard to do it's thing. Home in a subdivision with a wooded area out back, but surrounded by homes; isolated patch.
Dog managed to escape back to house and they just caught sight of coyote retreating back into the woods. Said the poor thing got tore up pretty bad, damaging his throat in the process.

Yeah, already knew this would be in a response after I posted. Doesn't change the fact they'll eat your dog in a second given the chance.
I witnessed humans eating dogs in both Vietnam and in the Philippines. You would too if you got hungry enough. Not a pleasant fact to swallow is it? :unsure:
Oh, I'd bet it has happened here and there, even though you didn't hear about it. Can't lay sure blame if you didn't witness, but what ever happened to Spot?
Nope. This part of the state has a very low coyote population. Perhaps it's because we don't encroach on their habitat and deplete their food supply?
Right, ban garbage! All trash must be immediately taken to the landfill once it leaves indoors. No trash cans or dumpsters!
Strawman. Too hard for the folks in and around Cincinnati to keep a lid on their garbage containers?
And of course it hasn't happened to  you. Me either. But it happened to this guy, and many others. The reports are out there.
Perhaps they are getting in too great of numbers and competing for resources leading them to come into neighborhoods in search of food.
Once they start getting accustomed to that, it's time to go. Time to thin out.
You allowed to hunt coyotes within municipal boundaries in Ohio? Or are y'all just going to go out and manhandle them into dumpsters? :D
Think of me what you wish. I'm all for nature. But when nature comes for my Yorkie, you'll be dealt with. It's human nature!
A Yorkie fan, should've guessed. No wonder you're scared of Coyote attacks.😀

I witnessed humans eating dogs in both Vietnam and in the Philippines. You would too if you got hungry enough. Not a pleasant fact to swallow is it? :unsure:
Hell, I'd eat you if I had to. Sure hope you're chicken flavored! 😁
Nope. This part of the state has a very low coyote population. Perhaps it's because we don't encroach on their habitat and deplete their food supply?
Well that's good, and there is plenty of wooded area in my general area. Sure there would be plenty of rabbits and such to go around for an in check population.
Strawman. Too hard for the folks in and around Cincinnati to keep a lid on their garbage containers?
In my area of town(outside of city limits), almost every can you see at the curb is a disposal company provided large wheeled container with the flip top. So that is not the root of the problem.
You allowed to hunt coyotes within municipal boundaries in Ohio? Or are y'all just going to go out and manhandle them into dumpsters? :D
By law I could shoot all I want in my small yard as long as the rounds don't leave my property. But sure, it's the wrong thing to do, and not very neighborly. And coyote are open game.
Now within Cincinnati city limits, likely not the case. Cannot discharge, so to take a coyote probably out of the question.
A Yorkie fan, should've guessed. No wonder you're scared of Coyote attacks.😀
Eh, I'm more worried about being out with hawks over head. Carry her off like a rabbit. But I have a big ass Lab as well that would probably have shredded a coyote in his better days.
But at 12, he doesn't have it in him anymore.

Back
Top Bottom