• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Corporations Have American Consumers Wrapped Around Their Little Finger.

I finally got through the User Agreement. It's pretty intrusive. Sure took a lot of my time just to read it all. Reading an entire insurance policy would be quicker.

Here we go again. Needing something and stuck reading yet another overly long User Agreement.

When are we, The People, going to stand up to they the corporations and put a stop to this?

I guess we are going to have to first get the big money corruption out of Congress by replacing corporate complicit Congress members with anti-corruption candidates. Then we can have a Congress that will stand up to the big money corporations instead of roll over and do their dirty work.

Every once in a while Congress calls some corporate CEOs onto the floor to pretend to come down on them hard. It's a dog and pony show. Nothing ever gets done because Congress is on the take and everybody knows it. Anybody who thinks Donald would do something about that is sadly mistaken. He already had 4 years and did nothing but break laws, insult people and drive off all the Republicans who would not kiss his ass. He can do that because he's got his cult totally conned and they've got the votes he needs.

This agreement yells at me in all caps that I give up my right to sue them. It says they can make changes any time and do not have to notify me, but I am responsible for any changes so it's up to me to check back from time to time and reread this whole thing again.

They waste people's time like it's meaningless to them.

I know why nobody reads these things. They're insulting.

Sounds like some evil corporations are out to get you. Should we outlaw corporations?

They certainly need to be well regulated to at least try and stop them just screwing the consumer at every turn.

Still reading. It's gonna take hours. Corporations have zero problem wasting our time.

They certainly need to be well regulated to at least try and stop them just screwing the consumer at every turn.

Instead of the government telling corporations what to do it's the other way around. Corporations tell government what to do. and all the rest of us. We need to fix that. People who blow this off are how they get away with this. If we simply united against them we could set the rules. It is bizarre that people put up with this nonsense. Really, people are just ignoring it. What they choose not to think about is hurting them, stealing their privacy and rights, but they think nothing can be done about it. Ironically, that is precisely the attitude that allows it to happen. This should be a no-brainer but since Congress is corrupted by the same corporate money nothing will happen as long as that continues.

There is a way to fix that but it takes a long time.

People are taking action which will one day lead to addressing this issue. Local governments are passing anti-corruption resolutions. When enough of that happens all over the country and it snowballs, then we can get some better choices on the ballot. Anti-corruption choices. Eventually we will flip Congress and get national legislation. That's how it worked for Women's Suffrage. First local, then growing, then spreading, and finally national.

Back to reading this big long legal contract....

Corporate America has most of America wrapped around it's little finger. This includes the corporate media. Corporations are a big problem for our society. It's not just capitalism any more, offering a product or a service for a competitive price. They use all kinds of dirty tricks; and you, the consumer, are being analyzed. They want to know everything about you. More information than they should be entitled to.

People don't stand up for themselves. They just bend over and give corporations everything. It's disgusting. Consumers accept crap products, poor quality, planned obsolescence, shrinkflation, impossible to read user agreements and corruption of government using the money the consumers paid to get ripped off. We make the rich richer, let workers and the environment get treated badly, generate tons of waste, use up needless amounts of energy, create trashy looking and dangerous litter, and fill our landfills with disposable crap after having used products for a very short period of time.

Most Americans don't seem to have any idea how badly we are bring ripped off and sadly have no gut for using our combined power to put corporations in their place. We've been bought, and the price was nothing short of our character.

The above is precisely what should be taught in schools; but we don't have to nerve to do it.

What percentage of consumers who agree to big corporate user agreements have actually read them, every word, all of it, a legally binding contract, before checking the box that says they have read it? In many cases it is impossible, the consumer will face all caps paragraphs as if they are being shouted at by the corporation, and the agreements are filled with links to more and more pages, often becoming hundreds of pages. Who actually reads those things? Anyone? What is buried in them? The people who agree certainly have no idea.

Why are Americans trained as children to ignore and check those boxes? Why do we put up with the way we get treated? Because corporate America wants us wrapped around their little finger. And they've got it.

Ten dollar an hour Trumptards support giving WalMart a 40% tax cut.....LOL!

No fixing st00pid™ unfortunately.

Instead of the government telling corporations what to do it's the other way around. Corporations tell government what to do. and all the rest of us. We need to fix that. People who blow this off are how they get away with this. If we simply united against them we could set the rules. It is bizarre that people put up with this nonsense. Really, people are just ignoring it. What they choose not to think about is hurting them, stealing their privacy and rights, but they think nothing can be done about it. Ironically, that is precisely the attitude that allows it to happen. This should be a no-brainer but since Congress is corrupted by the same corporate money nothing will happen as long as that continues.

There is a way to fix that but it takes a long time.

People are taking action which will one day lead to addressing this issue. Local governments are passing anti-corruption resolutions. When enough of that happens all over the country and it snowballs, then we can get some better choices on the ballot. Anti-corruption choices. Eventually we will flip Congress and get national legislation. That's how it worked for Women's Suffrage. First local, then growing, then spreading, and finally national.

Back to reading this big long legal contract....

One thing we have in Europe is a stronger regulatory system which is why I wanted the UK to stay in the EU.
Oh well, I did what I could and voted.

This always surprises me when you have the poor voting to give the super rich and vast multinationals tax cuts.
They really have been conned into thinking trickle down works.

They are simply operating on rumor and peer pressure instead of real information, which they have been told they shouldn't pay attention to anyway because it's the 'liberal media.'

This user agreement I am reading is ridiculous. It contradicts itself. It's for a health related service. It basically says the corporation is not responsible for anything that happens to any of your personal information, and that they can reprint it, modify it and share it at will, that it becomes their property. They shouted it in all caps. And then it says they are committed to the HIPAA privacy standards. That's absurd. Both cannot be true at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom