• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

BREAKING NEWS: Key Bridge Collapsed

Could they have turned around and docked until it was repaired? Were the harbor pilots aware?
Seems doubtful that the captain told the pilots that his ship might or might not answer the helm. Don't think they would have taken the job under those circumstances.

The bridge is needed to improve ground transportation infrastructure. Not having it would cause a permanent hit to the local economy, and given that Baltimore (and Key Bridge) is right in the middle of the busiest highway corridor in the United States, the impacts go beyond just Baltimore. The bridge was built for a reason and needs to be rebuilt, and to be clear, the bridge was designed in the 1970s long before shipping companies began stacking shipping containers to the point of making vessels as large as some office towers. The bridge was built before the rise of China and India, when basically only Japan and Europe were the biggest trading partners we had (outside North America).
If the bridge is so important then it is worth spending whatever it takes on the safety provisions.

And for the record, I did not argue that it is not needed. I argued that it should not exist if it is unsafe. Seems pretty simple. The poster I responded too claimed that we shouldnt make bridges safe because of money. Because you see this is my individual thoughts, not anyone elses. FFS I am not making stupid accusations and being insolent like MAGA traitors. In fact, for the record I am not saying anything near their BS.

My point is human lives over money. I say spend them damn money to do it right. Notice the difference there?

How will that happen when the ships can't get into the port to dock and offload?

Norfolk and Portsmouth Va. are already taking up much of the slack. I heard that Jersey is ramping up as well.

Container and car haul companies here locally are dedicating trucks for the business windfall.

So it might take an extra 2-3 days to get the products delivered........ that is not nothing major.

I heard that there are many outbound ships stuck in port as well.

The two major marine terminals in Baltimore are both upstream of the bridge, thus effectively closing the port.

_

Back
Top Bottom