• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are Some Christians Members of Religious Cults?

paul342160

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I enjoyed an interesting conversation with a very well educated Evangelical Christian on Saturday.

She agreed that former President Trump should not be treated REVERENTLY by some Evangelical Christians? Are these Trump supporters members of a religious cult? Are they FAKE CHRISTIANS who worship a SINNER on steroids? Germans blindly followed Hitler.

She viewed Mormons as members of a religious cult; but I feel that my Mormon friends are more moral than the FAKE CHRISTIANS who support SINNER Donald Trump and treat him reverently.

Should my Buddhist, Hindu, Jewish, Muslim, and members of other religions be viewed as cult members because they don't accept Jesus as the son of God?

All religions that have supernatural mythology are cults. Mormons, Scientologists, Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Christians in general they are all cults, Cult doesn't mean small groups who believe in myths, it includes all believers of unprovable myths of any size. The majority of cultists are good people. 😇

jpevans, I used to live in Taxachusetts in the 50s and 60s. I now live in CensorshipFlorida where FAKE CHRISTIANS thrive.

I enjoyed an interesting conversation with a very well educated Evangelical Christian on Saturday.

She agreed that former President Trump should not be treated REVERENTLY by some Evangelical Christians? Are these Trump supporters members of a religious cult? Are they FAKE CHRISTIANS who worship a SINNER on steroids? Germans blindly followed Hitler.

She viewed Mormons as members of a religious cult; but I feel that my Mormon friends are more moral than the FAKE CHRISTIANS who support SINNER Donald Trump and treat him reverently.

Should my Buddhist, Hindu, Jewish, Muslim, and members of other religions be viewed as cult members because they don't accept Jesus as the son of God?
First, if you think "reverently" means religious, then you don't know the meaning of "reverently." All it means is "a deep respect or veneration." It has absolutely nothing to do with religion either way.

Second, you are talking to an Evangelical Christian. Of course they are going to claim every other religion is a cult. One persons religion is another persons cult. The US Constitution does not differentiate between the two. Everyone is entitled to whatever religious (or non-religious) belief they wish. So if you want to start George Carlin's religion of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, you can.

The MAGA cultist Dominionist Christians are the most well funded, and loudest, majority in Christendom today.
Sad news but it's a fact.
There are still plenty of good Christians around but they are spiritually persona non grata in today's megachurch Christian environment.
The Kingdom of Christ has been sodomized by Prosperity Gospel loving Trump cultists.

Signs of a cult:
  1. Absolute authoritarianism without accountability
  2. Zero tolerance for criticism or questions
  3. Lack of meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget
  4. Unreasonable fears about the outside world that often involve evil conspiracies and persecutions
  5. A belief that former followers are always wrong for leaving and there is never a legitimate reason for anyone else to leave
  6. Abuse of members
  7. Records, books, articles, or programs documenting the abuses of the leader or group
  8. Followers feeling they are never able to be “good enough”
  9. A belief that the leader is right at all times
  10. A belief that the leader is the exclusive means of knowing “truth” or giving validation
Some religions, Scientology for example, are outright cults as defined above.

Jehovah's Witnesses are pretty close to being a true cult.

Amish have features of a cult, such as shunning and dis-attachment from the outside world.

Trumpism, though not a religion per se, certainly has the features of a cult. Trump seeks condition 1. Condition 2 is certainly true. Condition 3 (re tax returns, etc) is true. Condition 4 is true (i.e. conspiracy theories). Condition 5, god help you if you double cross him. Condition 6, he certainly has no regard for his followers, other than what he can get out of them or use them for. Condition 7 is true. Condition 8 is true, unless the follower totally kisses Trump's ass. Condition 9 is an axiom among Trump followers. Condition 10 is an axiom among Trump followers.

Yeah, some Christians are members of cults. There are about two and a half billion Christians in the world, and more than 33,000 Protestant denominations alone. With those kinds of numbers it would be impossible for no one to have gone off track and gotten lost in the woods. I personally think Jim Jones and David Koresh type communities the prime example of cults. There are clues that Christian communities have gotten far, far removed from the message of Jesus. Prominent among those signs is how power, authority. and control are exercised.

Back
Top Bottom