Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Laptop disk space woes

  1. #11
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,312

    Re: Laptop disk space woes

    Quote Originally Posted by Individual View Post
    Linux or Windows?
    Generally speaking, if someone tells me they do not know how to figure out how much storage is on their hard drive, I am going to assume it is not Linux.

    Mac, maybe, but not Linux.

  2. #12
    Guru
    WillyPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,650

    Re: Laptop disk space woes

    I know some versions of Windows don't dispose of the old update packages after they get installed, which will add up dramatically over time.

    It might be possible to manually delete those and free up quite a bit of space, but we'll need to know the version of Windows you're using.
    Ask about my German oranges!

  3. #13
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,850

    Re: Laptop disk space woes

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post

    2) Possible Problem: You have Windows 10 and you're trying to install the latest Update.
    Explanation: The May 2019 update to Windows 10 is quite large and tries to reserve space on your hard drive for future updates. If you have an older computer (especially an older SSD), it's possible you do not have the room the update requires.
    Solution: A) Buy a new hard drive or B) Ignore the update or C) keep uninstalling software.
    Possibility Percentage: 40-60%.
    Bingo! well almost. I have windows 10 and it would have been around May this year that everything started to act up. Thing is its a new computer and I have taken literally everything off. Like I say i tried to restart everything from scratch just to be sure and it wouldnt even let me do that.

  4. #14
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,850

    Re: Laptop disk space woes

    Quote Originally Posted by WillyPete View Post
    I know some versions of Windows don't dispose of the old update packages after they get installed, which will add up dramatically over time.

    It might be possible to manually delete those and free up quite a bit of space, but we'll need to know the version of Windows you're using.
    10

  5. #15
    Guru
    Sampson Simpson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:51 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,590

    Re: Laptop disk space woes

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    Hi all. I have been having some trouble installing updates as each time I try to do so it tells me that I donīt have enough space. I tried removing literally everything that didnīt come with the computer but it still insists that its full. I tried wiping everything and restarting the computer from scratch but it seems I donīt have enough space to do that either. Does anyone know what might be happening and what solution there could be?
    When you are on task manager, is it saying Dish 100% full? You have Windows 10? I would google that problem, there are a number of things you can do and deactivate to help that out. Seems to be a problem with Windows 10

  6. #16
    Guru Airyaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    AL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,840

    Re: Laptop disk space woes

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    Bingo! well almost. I have windows 10 and it would have been around May this year that everything started to act up. Thing is its a new computer and I have taken literally everything off. Like I say i tried to restart everything from scratch just to be sure and it wouldnt even let me do that.
    Questions that need to be answered: what is the size (capacity) of your drive, and how much is on it?
    This Day in Politics <--- Daily political news, with a personal slant

  7. #17
    Guru
    WillyPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,650

    Re: Laptop disk space woes

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    10
    WinDirStat - Windows Directory Statistics

    This is small utility that will tell you in detail what is using space on your drive. It'll give you a fairly solid idea of where the problem lies. If you want, post the results here and we can chew on them.


    10 best ways to free up hard drive space on Windows 10 | Windows Central

    This has several options to help free up space via the system. Seems like you'd tried some of this already, but maybe worthwhile. I don't and would never recommend #8, as drive compression has a sketchy history and even if it's better nowadays, I will never trust it.


    How to Free Over 10GB of Disk Space After Installing Windows 10’s May 2019 Update

    This talks about the recent update issue, and how to free up that space, if it impacts you.

    Hope it helps!
    Ask about my German oranges!

  8. #18
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,312

    Re: Laptop disk space woes

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    Bingo! well almost. I have windows 10 and it would have been around May this year that everything started to act up. Thing is its a new computer and I have taken literally everything off. Like I say i tried to restart everything from scratch just to be sure and it wouldnt even let me do that.
    If it's a brand new computer, did you buy it from a store or custom order it? If you custom ordered, things may be different but if you got it from a store then my guess is your hard drive is failing. It can happen in new computers.

    As other people have stated, if you can tell us what size your hard drive is, then it can lead us to better help. If you bought it from the store, can you tell us what the model is? It's often listed on the computer tower.

  9. #19
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,850

    Re: Laptop disk space woes

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    If it's a brand new computer, did you buy it from a store or custom order it? If you custom ordered, things may be different but if you got it from a store then my guess is your hard drive is failing. It can happen in new computers.

    As other people have stated, if you can tell us what size your hard drive is, then it can lead us to better help. If you bought it from the store, can you tell us what the model is? It's often listed on the computer tower.
    No it came from a store. It say i have 27.8 GB of which there is only 134 mb left

  10. #20
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,312

    Re: Laptop disk space woes

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    No it came from a store. It say i have 27.8 GB of which there is only 134 mb left
    ...if you bought a brand new computer from the store with only 32 GB of storage, that is not good. Like, tablets come with more storage. I hope you didn't pay more than $250 or $300 for it.

    You need to buy a hard drive. You're not going to have enough storage space, no matter what you delete. There are HDD and SSD drives. HDD will usually get you more storage for less money, but SSD will be noticeably faster. Depending on your budget, I would recommend a minimum of a 256 SSD or a 500 GB HDD. Windows now gives you the ability to download and create your own installation disc, so I would do that and then install a new hard drive. There are plenty of instructions on how to do that, or if you'd like I could try to help you here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •