Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: Stacking vpn and ad-blocking dns static ip addresses?

  1. #21
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,038

    Re: Stacking vpn and ad-blocking dns static ip addresses?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    You are not anonymous Your ISP and bank know you are getting internet!
    *Sigh*. I know.

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    What ads are you blocking btw? Dont really understand that part. Does it mean you dont have any ads at all on websites? Wont websites just deny you access?
    I never see ads when I'm using Chrome on a laptop. I'm not super clear on the details, but there are anti-ad lists that things like u-block-origin, PIA's Mace, Alternate DNS and Adguard use. In the end, ads simply don't exist for me on Chrome. I think U-block-origin must have special ninja skills, because everywhere else I still see youtube ads. Not so on Chrome.

  2. #22
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,038

    Re: Stacking vpn and ad-blocking dns static ip addresses?

    Quote Originally Posted by holbritter View Post
    Seriously, spit coffee out lol, when I scrolled to this. Here I was reading and thinking, OMG you are so over your head...is this even english? When I read yours. Thanks, my head was going to explode.
    If it makes you feel any better, all those cool terms I used didn't amount to anything anyway. Openvpn eventually resulted in an unstable connection, rendering all my efforts useless in the end. So if you had just spent your time drinking beer while I plugged away on DNS and compression settings, you and I would have ended up in the same place. Only you would be drunk and I'm just angry and annoyed.

  3. #23
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Stacking vpn and ad-blocking dns static ip addresses?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    *Sigh*. I know.



    I never see ads when I'm using Chrome on a laptop. I'm not super clear on the details, but there are anti-ad lists that things like u-block-origin, PIA's Mace, Alternate DNS and Adguard use. In the end, ads simply don't exist for me on Chrome. I think U-block-origin must have special ninja skills, because everywhere else I still see youtube ads. Not so on Chrome.
    Worries me a bit to be honest. No "ad-blocking" system is perfect, and by putting it in the router, you have zero control over it. What sites does it block other than the obvious ads? For example, a common issue is banking sites. Some banks use to rely on "pop up" windows or new tab to login to online banking. Ad blockers had a tendency to block these attempts so you needed controls to deactivate the ad-blocker on said site.

    Also a newer popular thing is, sites detecting ad-blocking software and demanding you disable it to view the content. How long till they are able to do the same for router based ad-blocking systems?

    Basically dont like the inability to control things easily.
    PeteEU

  4. #24
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,038

    Re: Stacking vpn and ad-blocking dns static ip addresses?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Worries me a bit to be honest. No "ad-blocking" system is perfect, and by putting it in the router, you have zero control over it. What sites does it block other than the obvious ads? For example, a common issue is banking sites. Some banks use to rely on "pop up" windows or new tab to login to online banking. Ad blockers had a tendency to block these attempts so you needed controls to deactivate the ad-blocker on said site.

    Also a newer popular thing is, sites detecting ad-blocking software and demanding you disable it to view the content. How long till they are able to do the same for router based ad-blocking systems?

    Basically dont like the inability to control things easily.
    I understand, but I'm faced with the same thing regardless of the DNS address I use. Right now I've gone with Adguard, and their privacy policy specifically states that they won't share my browsing history with third parties. Alternate DNS was quite clear in their privacy policy that I had no privacy.

    Regarding my ability to use financial sites, I don't usually have a problem. Every one in a while Ublock-origin will break a site and I'll have to open it in my non-security-decked-out browser, Safari.

  5. #25
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Stacking vpn and ad-blocking dns static ip addresses?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I'll have to open it in my non-security-decked-out browser, Safari.
    Screw the site then... Safari is soooo bad and infected with Apple spying tools !!!
    PeteEU

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •