Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 68

Thread: Major League Baseball season start overshadowed by Covid-19

  1. #41
    Alleged
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    29,571

    Re: Major League Baseball season start overshadowed by Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by SenorXm/Sirius View Post
    Even if the MLB went the bubble route, their planned bubble places of Florida and Arz. wouldn't have worked. Both are hot spots now.
    Not necessarily. The virus is airborne but it doesn't seem to spread long distances unless people physically take them there.

    For example, the NBA bubble near Orlando, which has done just fine. So far.

    IMO Because of the amount of players, I don't think the bubbles will work with the MLB or the NFL anyway..

    IIRC there were 5-6 owners who didn't want to start the season at all.. If those 5-6 owners are still against playing, with these new outbreaks I don't think it's going to take much for other owners to join the '5-6 we shouldn't be playing owners', and shut the 2020 season down...
    They could have done it, but it would have been difficult. Put one league in Arizona and the other in Florida, with no interleague play.

    Or even have four bubbles that don't even meet until the postseason.
    Quote Originally Posted by trixare4kids View Post
    I love that [parents] can be online voyeurs' in the virtual classroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    social distancing doesn't save lives... social distancing will actually kill more people
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxical View Post
    By August, this phony virus will be forgotten

  2. #42
    Sage
    SenorXm/Sirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New York State, USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    13,064

    Re: Major League Baseball season start overshadowed by Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Not necessarily. The virus is airborne but it doesn't seem to spread long distances unless people physically take them there.

    For example, the NBA bubble near Orlando, which has done just fine. So far.



    They could have done it, but it would have been difficult. Put one league in Arizona and the other in Florida, with no interleague play.

    Or even have four bubbles that don't even meet until the postseason.
    I just don't see how a bubble would be realistic and work with the bigger(more players) sports like baseball and football.

    Time will tell, this virus has changed, fooled and throw curve balls(pardon the lame pun) at people and experts since it started. 5 months later and we are still guessing. Short of a vaccine I just don't see how baseball and football will be able to function, bubble or no bubble.
    Daffy Donald Trump's 2020 Campaign Motto:

    'Make Russia Great Again'

  3. #43
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Posts
    9,133

    Re: Major League Baseball season start overshadowed by Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by SenorXm/Sirius View Post
    I just don't see how a bubble would be realistic and work with the bigger(more players) sports like baseball and football.

    Time will tell, this virus has changed, fooled and throw curve balls(pardon the lame pun) at people and experts since it started. 5 months later and we are still guessing. Short of a vaccine I just don't see how baseball and football will be able to function, bubble or no bubble.
    Of course it can work in a bubble... unless you are referring to the integrity of humans.
    The more I get to know people the more I realize why Noah only let animals on the boat.

  4. #44
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Posts
    9,133

    Re: Major League Baseball season start overshadowed by Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Not necessarily. The virus is airborne but it doesn't seem to spread long distances unless people physically take them there.

    For example, the NBA bubble near Orlando, which has done just fine. So far.



    They could have done it, but it would have been difficult. Put one league in Arizona and the other in Florida, with no interleague play.

    Or even have four bubbles that don't even meet until the postseason.
    It would not have been difficult. The only reason it was not done was because teh spoiled players did not want to be so inconvenienced.
    The more I get to know people the more I realize why Noah only let animals on the boat.

  5. #45
    Sage
    SenorXm/Sirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New York State, USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    13,064

    Re: Major League Baseball season start overshadowed by Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
    Of course it can work in a bubble... unless you are referring to the integrity of humans.
    There's 1,700 players in the NFL.. How many outside cooks, maids, waiters, doctors, medical staff, trainers, and on and on people do you think they'd need to take care of 1700 players for 5 months?

    And that's assuming every single player, coach, trainer, family member of the players, and outside 'personnel' would 'behave' themselves.
    Daffy Donald Trump's 2020 Campaign Motto:

    'Make Russia Great Again'

  6. #46
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Posts
    9,133

    Re: Major League Baseball season start overshadowed by Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by SenorXm/Sirius View Post
    There's 1,700 players in the NFL.. How many outside cooks, maids, waiters, doctors, medical staff, trainers, and on and on people do you think they'd need to take care of 1700 players for 5 months?

    And that's assuming every single player, coach, trainer, family member of the players, and outside 'personnel' would 'behave' themselves.
    it could be done, obviously

    people behave themselves? Never happen.

    Humans are a failed species.
    The more I get to know people the more I realize why Noah only let animals on the boat.

  7. #47
    |Good Trouble|
    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    50,846

    Re: Major League Baseball season start overshadowed by Covid-19

    1 more Cardinal player and 3 Cardinal staff tested positive in addition to the 2 Cardinal players who tested positive on Friday. The Cardinals-Brewers game in Milwaukee on Saturday is postponed.

    No additional Marlin players have tested positive and the team hired sleeper buses to take them back to Miami where they will remain in quarantine. No new positives on the Phillies.

    Marlins second baseman Isan Diaz (who has consistently tested negative) has now opted out of the season.


    1 out of every 2,000 Americans alive at the start of the pandemic has now died from COVID. Trump - "I take no responsibility."

    Vote for Joe Biden and all Democrat candidates on November 3.

  8. #48
    The Dark Lord
    armycowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,875

    Re: Major League Baseball season start overshadowed by Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by SenorXm/Sirius View Post
    I just don't see how a bubble would be realistic and work with the bigger(more players) sports like baseball and football.

    Time will tell, this virus has changed, fooled and throw curve balls(pardon the lame pun) at people and experts since it started. 5 months later and we are still guessing. Short of a vaccine I just don't see how baseball and football will be able to function, bubble or no bubble.
    NHL rosters are about the same size as MLB and they're doing the bubble thing.

  9. #49
    Sage
    SenorXm/Sirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New York State, USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    13,064

    Re: Major League Baseball season start overshadowed by Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by armycowboy View Post
    NHL rosters are about the same size as MLB and they're doing the bubble thing.
    No way of knowing if it will work, yet. Also, IIRC the NHL is using 1 rink in 2 cities. 1 rink!!

    With baseball would have to split the 30 teams in 2 cities means 15 teams in each city would have play all their games at 1 field. If they used 4 'bubble' cities, then maybe the schedule would work better, but then there more chances of infections...

    Baseball schedule every team plays everyday.. Not so in the NHL...
    Daffy Donald Trump's 2020 Campaign Motto:

    'Make Russia Great Again'

  10. #50
    The Dark Lord
    armycowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,875

    Re: Major League Baseball season start overshadowed by Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by SenorXm/Sirius View Post
    No way of knowing if it will work, yet. Also, IIRC the NHL is using 1 rink in 2 cities. 1 rink!!

    With baseball would have to split the 30 teams in 2 cities means 15 teams in each city would have play all their games at 1 field. If they used 4 'bubble' cities, then maybe the schedule would work better, but then there more chances of infections...

    Baseball schedule every team plays everyday.. Not so in the NHL...
    MLB is basically three exclusive leagues now, so they could have used 3 bubbles. And there are a great many complexes in this country with multiple fields.

    It's a moot point now though.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •