Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 131

Thread: NBA shameful statement on Hong Kong Protests

  1. #31
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    80,050
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: NBA shameful statement on Hong Kong Protests

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    That's a ridiculous statement. Are you next going to argue North Korea is a Republic because it calls itself one?
    The only thing that's ridiculous here is your denial of the plain facts. The Chinese Communist Party rules China as a one-party state. China is therefore a communist country. QED
    There is nothing in the definition of the word "republic" that precludes its use by North Korea.
    "Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." --Marcus Aurelius

  2. #32
    Heavy Hitter



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    105,678

    Re: NBA shameful statement on Hong Kong Protests

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    The only thing that's ridiculous here is your denial of the plain facts. The Chinese Communist Party rules China as a one-party state. China is therefore a communist country. QED
    There is nothing in the definition of the word "republic" that precludes its use by North Korea.
    So, in your opinion, China is communist because they say they are, and North Korea is a Republic because they say they are. Too bad you're wrong.
    “The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.“
    -George Orwell, 1984

  3. #33
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    80,050
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: NBA shameful statement on Hong Kong Protests

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    So, in your opinion, China is communist because they say they are, and North Korea is a Republic because they say they are. Too bad you're wrong.
    No. That's not what I said. China is communist because it is ruled by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP). Ideology has nothing to do with it.
    North Korea can call itself a republic because there's nothing in the definition of "republic" that prevents it.
    "Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." --Marcus Aurelius

  4. #34
    Heavy Hitter



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    105,678

    Re: NBA shameful statement on Hong Kong Protests

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    No. That's not what I said. China is communist because it is ruled by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP). Ideology has nothing to do with it.
    North Korea can call itself a republic because there's nothing in the definition of "republic" that prevents it.
    China, being the most successful country today in the battle of market domination and economic might, makes it far more capitalist even than the US, which is a dwindling superpower riddled with corruption and stagnation due to its low level of education and lack of upward mobility. China is no more communist than is South Korea.
    “The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.“
    -George Orwell, 1984

  5. #35
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    80,050
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: NBA shameful statement on Hong Kong Protests

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    China, being the most successful country today in the battle of market domination and economic might, makes it far more capitalist even than the US, which is a dwindling superpower riddled with corruption and stagnation due to its low level of education and lack of upward mobility. China is no more communist than is South Korea.
    The fact that China is now economically capitalist in no way contradicts its status as a communist country.
    "Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." --Marcus Aurelius

  6. #36
    Heavy Hitter



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    105,678

    Re: NBA shameful statement on Hong Kong Protests

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    The fact that China is now economically capitalist in no way contradicts its status as a communist country.


    Thanks
    “The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.“
    -George Orwell, 1984

  7. #37
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    80,050
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: NBA shameful statement on Hong Kong Protests

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post


    Thanks
    BBC › uk › news › world-asia-china-49631120

    China anniversary: How the Communist Party runs the country ...


    Sep 30, 2019 - The Communist Party of China is in complete control of the country, from government to police to military. With some 90 million members, it is organised like a pyramid, with the politburo and eventually President Xi Jinping at the top. While there is a parliament, the National ...
    "Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." --Marcus Aurelius

  8. #38
    Heavy Hitter



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    105,678

    Re: NBA shameful statement on Hong Kong Protests

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    BBC › uk › news › world-asia-china-49631120

    China anniversary: How the Communist Party runs the country ...


    Sep 30, 2019 - The Communist Party of China is in complete control of the country, from government to police to military. With some 90 million members, it is organised like a pyramid, with the politburo and eventually President Xi Jinping at the top. While there is a parliament, the National ...
    What was that again? Oh, yeah.

    "The fact that China is now economically capitalist in no way contradicts its status as a communist country."
    “The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.“
    -George Orwell, 1984

  9. #39
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    80,050
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: NBA shameful statement on Hong Kong Protests

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    What was that again? Oh, yeah.

    "The fact that China is now economically capitalist in no way contradicts its status as a communist country."
    Yes. It remains true.
    "Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." --Marcus Aurelius

  10. #40
    Heavy Hitter



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    105,678

    Re: NBA shameful statement on Hong Kong Protests

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Yes. It remains true.
    Yes. And, I will continue to remind everyone of that.
    “The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.“
    -George Orwell, 1984

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •